I've just been looking on the US site EB. On their main page is a large advert for AEP. This leads me to think that Il2 must be a major title over there. Here in the UK Il2 is a relativley minor title...in fact if you're not into flight sims you probably would not have even heard of it!! If you went into any of the normal high-steet shops over here like Game and PCworld and asked them about the release date of AEP they would probably ask you what the hell you were talking about!! We British seem to be more interested in games like the Sims and GTA....Am I right??

I've just been looking on the US site EB. On their main page is a large advert for AEP. This leads me to think that Il2 must be a major title over there. Here in the UK Il2 is a relativley minor title...in fact if you're not into flight sims you probably would not have even heard of it!! If you went into any of the normal high-steet shops over here like Game and PCworld and asked them about the release date of AEP they would probably ask you what the hell you were talking about!! We British seem to be more interested in games like the Sims and GTA....Am I right??

I bought cfs3 not long after I bought Il2 FB, and I was majorly dissapointed. The plane models are nowhere near as good as FB and the whole feel of the game is rather...antique...whats more the game uses a ridiculous amount of memory and processor power. I can run IL2 on my machine at 1600x1200 with perfect scenery and its as smooth as silk....cfs3 however has to be run at 1024x768 with low graphic settings...and still its very lumpy.

It`s as big as some arcade games... but in simulation world it`s pretty big IMO

V!
    Regards,

VFC*Crazyivan aka VFC*HOST

http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/vfc/home.htm

Kozhedub: In combat potential, the Yak-3, La-7 and La-9 fighters were indisputably superior to the Bf-109s and Fw-190s. But, as they say, no matter how good the violin may be, much depends on the violinist. I always felt respect for an enemy pilot whose plane I failed to down.

Udidtoo's Avatar Senior Member
    If it wasn't for the mag. PC Gamer and a simm reviewer named Andy Mahood I may have never heard of the original Il-2.
    CFS still seems to get the most mainstream press here in the U.S. hmmmmm Anyone see a correlation between Bill Gates marketing clout and Oleg's?
    Not to sound like a PC Gamers rep or anything but they did vote FB simm of the year. I like their reviews because by and large they don't seem to be in anyones pocket. No matter how much pre- relese hype, if its crap, they call it crap. In the case of FB, Mahood said something to the effect of " If you like flight simming, this is the one, period"
    I agree.

I always have just enough fuel to arrive at the scene of my crash.

jensenpark's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Udidtoo:
    If it wasn't for the mag. PC Gamer and a simm reviewer named Andy Mahood I may have never heard of the original Il-2.
    CFS still seems to get the most mainstream press here in the U.S. hmmmmm Anyone see a correlation between Bill Gates marketing clout and Oleg's?
    Not to sound like a PC Gamers rep or anything but they did vote FB simm of the year. I like their reviews because by and large they don't seem to be in anyones pocket. No matter how much pre- relese hype, if its crap, they call it crap. In the case of FB, Mahood said something to the effect of " If you like flight simming, this is the one, period"
    I agree.

I always have just enough fuel to arrive at the scene of my crash.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, I'm with you there. If not for skimmin' through that mag at a Chapters I never would have been as hooked. Damn magazine!

"Death before unconsciousness" - Uncle Duke

I doubt IL2 is any bigger here in the US than it is in Europe. Note, if you haven't already, that the ad for IL2 is not actually on their main page. It's on the PC Games page. Most gamers here in the US prefer consoles and games like GTA, Final Fantasy, and Madden 2004. Most would not know what IL2 is.

just another game, just like the rest.

"The wise man is often the man who plays dumb."

Chuck_Older's Avatar Banned
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lucas_valentine:
    I've just been looking on the US site EB. On their main page is a large advert for AEP. This leads me to think that Il2 must be a major title over there. ...Am I right??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. Sorry.

It's a big advert because it's new and they want you to buy it. No sense in making something and then not advertising. Il*2 may be well known in the flight sim community, but it is not a 'popular' title at all.

Wave bub-bub-bub-bye to the boss, it's your profit, it's his loss~ Clash

Not really. Like the previous poster said most in the US prefer consoles and games that don't require much thinking or practice. We've become a instant gratification soceity. Most have little knowledge of history let alone ww2 or the Eastern front.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►