Thread: Steam DLC sale | Forums

Steam DLC sale

So it's that time of year again, for the Steam Christmas sales. Might as well have a topic to discuss what DLC will be got.

Also to ask a question. Both during the Autumn sale today for the Christmas sale, song packs are 25% off while individual songs are 50%. That actually makes it cheaper to buy songs seperately, rather than get the pack, which seems bizarre. Before I get anything, it'd be interesting to hear if this is an error, or what the logic behind it might be. Would hate to get songs only to find the packs reduced further later (Aaahh, the student life, where every cent counts ).

dm_gsxr's Avatar Senior Member
    I already have all the DLC. I have more money than sense.

Carl

Sadly the same selection of songs on sale as the last sale. I already have all of those I want. I guess it's play more Jimi and wait for the Summer sale.

DanAmrich's Avatar Rocksmith Dev Team
    Songs are cheaper than packs...for now. It's intentional, but it's only for a limited time, part of the daily deal.

Don't wait. Singles are not going to be 50% off for very long.

Side conversation about Steam sales, not intended as judgment on anyone who has posted here:

As a consumer, I love the Steam sales and I chase deals as hard as the next guy...but as someone at a publisher, I hate the mentality of "I cannot get this unless I am paying the absolute lowest possible mathematical price -- otherwise I'm getting ripped off." It becomes more about the price you paid than whatever enjoyment you'd get out of the software in question. I bought Ghostbusters the Video Game for $10 a week before it went down to $3, but I do not regret it at all. I want that game experience, you know? I don't have the collector mentality, buying games I might not actually play.

The bigger thing for me is then when the temporary deep-discount daily/flash sales end, there are complaints that the standard discount -- a discount of say, 25% off -- is insulting. I see this particular reaction a lot -- "33% off? 75% OR GTFO" is a real thing. My response has become "Well, don't worry -- it will be back to full price soon enough." I don't know where this attitude of "your sale insults me" comes from, but I don't like it at all.

stellios1712's Avatar Member
    Warning: A bit off topic post follows!

Every now and then there are these Steam dlc sales which always manage to make me feel sort of depressed (sort of, as there are much bigger issues in everybody's life than the price of dlc - don't get me wrong).

Since I am a PS3 user and live in Greece/Europe I can't help but wonder whether we, as SCEE dependants, will ever witness a dlc sale on psn...I understand there are problems with SCEE (delays, ever-missing dlc, overpricing due to Euro etc) and my intention is not to bring them on the surface once again as I am tired of reading about them and the relative fightings.

This is just a couple of questions:

Dear Dan, is there any chance we will ever feel the joy of bying dlc cheaper?

Who determines the sales period and the pricing during it? Ubisoft or the other part (Microsoft, Sony, Steam)? Should we hope for such a phenomenon on the SCEE universe?

Thanks!

DanAmrich's Avatar Rocksmith Dev Team
    Originally Posted by stellios1712 Go to original post
    Since I am a PS3 user and live in Greece/Europe I can't help but wonder whether we, as SCEE dependants, will ever witness a dlc sale on psn.
    If Sony and Ubisoft choose to put it on sale, sure. But that's nothing I have any insight into.

Originally Posted by DanAmrich Go to original post
    Songs are cheaper than packs...for now. It's intentional, but it's only for a limited time, part of the daily deal.

Don't wait. Singles are not going to be 50% off for very long.

Side conversation about Steam sales, not intended as judgment on anyone who has posted here:

As a consumer, I love the Steam sales and I chase deals as hard as the next guy...but as someone at a publisher, I hate the mentality of "I cannot get this unless I am paying the absolute lowest possible mathematical price -- otherwise I'm getting ripped off." It becomes more about the price you paid than whatever enjoyment you'd get out of the software in question. I bought Ghostbusters the Video Game for $10 a week before it went down to $3, but I do not regret it at all. I want that game experience, you know? I don't have the collector mentality, buying games I might not actually play.

The bigger thing for me is then when the temporary deep-discount daily/flash sales end, there are complaints that the standard discount -- a discount of say, 25% off -- is insulting. I see this particular reaction a lot -- "33% off? 75% OR GTFO" is a real thing. My response has become "Well, don't worry -- it will be back to full price soon enough." I don't know where this attitude of "your sale insults me" comes from, but I don't like it at all.
    I have bought DLC both regular and on sale but when I see a sale I have to hold back and think. Will I use this item, do I really need this item? buying something just because it is on sale does not work for me if I can manage keep my disciplined thoughts in mind. Before I found Rocksmith I was trying to learn guitar by downloading youtube videos on lessons and songs tutorials. It was free but because it was free I actually started spending more time going through youtube videos and downloading them and saving them. I ended up with a mass collection of videos but with no progress in my guitar playing skills! I found most youtube videos were by people that had good skills playing but not so much skills in teaching. Some were great and I learned some skills from but the majority are sitting on my hard drive and I got nothing from them.

Rocksmith on the other hand got me playing and kept me playing and I really enjoy it. I bought a couple of DLC's and that help because I got some songs I thought I could play and it has worked out for me. I read here that for beginners some of RS1 CD songs are better for the beginner and I wanted another cable for multy playing so I got that and I found that some of the songs on RS1 are music I really did not know the playing of then was great for me and my enjoyment has increased with the importing of those songs!! Then the sales came and I find myself trying not to spend Too much time on steam shopping when I really should be playing!! Having a lot of un-played DLC in my menu is not what I need/want I have to remind myself my objective is to improve my playing not my DLC collection.

Originally Posted by DanAmrich Go to original post
    I don't know where this attitude of "your sale insults me" comes from, but I don't like it at all.
    Amazon. Internet. SlickDeals. Consumer reports. Pick your poison.

As a retail sales person for the last 20 years, I feel your pain. Purchases based on the absolute lowest price is now the norm in our society. I can be as professional as possible. Offer more expertise and education on their purchase than the fellow down the road ... but their simply looking for the lowest price. It is what it is. I don't take it personal. I'm also a consumer. I like deals and saving money when possible.

When it comes to Steam deals, I think they're great!!! I've been introduced to many a game that I would not have bought without the discount. And I loved them. As for RS, I buy the songs/packs I like when they're released. but for those where I'm on the fence, it's a perfect time for me to jump on them. Half of my DLC collection is probably from Steam sales. And they're probably the ones I play the least! But I've never been too upset that a song I bought today, is 25% less the next day. But I'm also in a position where I can afford it either way. Many aren't. Especially the younger contingent.

@Stellios ...I suspect that is a dream that will just never happen. I am in the UK and I really get fed up by repeatedly seeing the deals that are everywhere in the US. Maybe not so much PSN but I have been looking round for a decent deal to re-buy RS2014 on the PS4 and so far in the past few weeks I have seen it on sale twice in amazon in the US, plus being available from plenty of other sources. We know PSN rips it's customers off, especially in Europe/Australia, and there is just no chance of a fair price on the digital download, but with seemingly the only place you can buy it in this country being amazon, we are screwed. I got all excited when someone mentioned it was half price in amazon on the stream last night, only to find it doesn't count for us (again!).

@Dan ...Completely agree. I can't understand the hostility. At the end of the day, if you miss a sale, you just get over it. Having said that, I think perhaps it does work a bit different with DLC, because there is so much that people can be playing in the meantime, they are perhaps less likely to be driven by something that they simply have to have right there and then. I think I would be likely to got on spending sprees during sales if PSN ever had any. Might even find myself buying more than I would normally if that happened (not that that's in any way a hint lol). In this case though, he knows what he wants, knows how much he has to spend, and just wants to time it to make sure he gets the best value for money. I can't fault the guy for trying to do his research first.

Well, another sales I will pass because I would like to buy some DLCs but it requires RS1. And I won't pay $7 for RS1 because I'm only interested in 1, maybe 2 songs in the first game.

Is there a way to FINALLy sort this out?

Thanks,

Merry Christmas

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►