Thread: Rocksmith 2014 -- PlayStation 4 & Xbox One FAQ | Forums

DanAmrich's Avatar Rocksmith Dev Team

Rocksmith 2014 -- PlayStation 4 & Xbox One FAQ

Rocksmith 2014 Edition has been officially released for Xbox One and PlayStation 4. (At last!) Here's a helpful FAQ, which will be updated as necessary.

Remember, you can always reach out directly to our experts at Ubisoft Support.

Rocksmith 2014 Edition
    PlayStation 4 & Xbox One FAQ

When will Rocksmith 2014 Edition be available for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One?
    RS2014 came out on November 4 in North America, November 6 in the Europe and Australia, and November 7 in the UK. The physical edition comes with the required Rocksmith Real Tone Cable for a suggested retail price of $79.99 USD/£65,00/90,00€. (Keep in mind that is a suggested price; final retail price at your local store may differ, as Ubisoft suggests but does not dictate prices). In the UK, RS2014 is an Amazon UK exclusive. The game will also be released as a digital download, without the Real Tone Cable, for a suggested price of $59.99 USD. (Again, check in your local areas to find out your local prices for the digital edition.) Please note the Real Tone Cable is required to play Rocksmith 2014, so if you don’t already have one, you will need to purchase one separately. More on that in a bit.

In the UK, why is the PS4 physical edition with the cable cheaper than the PS4 digital version for download?
    Actual retail prices are set by the retailers. Ubisoft suggests but does not dictate prices -- MSRP stands for Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. It must remain a suggestion, by law, or it would be considered price fixing. So when you see varying prices at various online retailers, whether they be physical or digital products, ask the retailer for more information about the price.

How many songs are included with Rocksmith 2014 Edition for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One?
    Rocksmith 2014 includes 55 songs, plus an additional 10 bonus songs, which are unlockable as you progress through the game and achieve specific goals. A complete list of all 55 songs that are immediately playable in Rocksmith 2014 is available here. For the move to PS4 and Xbox One, no songs have been added to or deleted from the core game.

Can I import my existing DLC from Xbox 360/PS3?
    Yes. You will be able redownload any DLC you have purchased within the same console family for no additional charge. That is, any DLC you have purchased on Xbox 360 can be downloaded on Xbox One, and any PlayStation 3 DLC can be downloaded on PlayStation 4. If you own a lot of DLC, this may be time consuming on a track-by-track basis, but you only have to download each track once.

I bought the Import Tool to bring most of the songs from the original Rocksmith disc into my Rocksmith 2014 library. Will I still be able to access to those tracks?
    Yes. You’ll be able to re-download them as if they were any other DLC in your collection. The import tool is available on Xbox worldwide and on PlayStation -- more information a little later in this document.

I bought RS1 on the previous generation. Do I have to buy a copy of RS2014 for the previous generation as well to use the Import Tool, or can I just skip that version?
    You must own the original game on the previous generation of consoles in order to access it on the latest generation. See below for more information.

How do I import the songs from the original Rocksmith disc into RS2014 XB1/PS4?
    Before we explain, please note that these import packs are only available to owners of the original game on their original platforms. If you do not see the examples we show below on your console, you may not be eligible to download this content. Track down a copy of RS1 or RS2014 for the PS3 or RS2014 for Xbox 360 and be ready to run it on its original console before you proceed.

XBOX ONE: Check the in-game Shop under the Packs menu. If you are eligible to download it, you should see Rocksmith Disc Import Pack under R. To be eligible for this download, you will need to have purchased the Disc Import Pack from within Rocksmith 2014 on Xbox 360.

PS4: First you will need to have purchased the Disc Export Pack from within the original Rocksmith for PS3 or the Disc Import Pack from within Rocksmith 2014 on PS3. There is no way to access the RS1 content on the PS4 without first owning the RS1 content on PS3.

For instance, if you have the original Rocksmith on PS3, look for the Disc Export Access pack and purchase it for $9.99:

Then locate this entry on your PS4, from the in-game Shop menu, under Packs, and download that material on your new system.

Please note that if you do not own the PS3 export or import packs, you will not see this item in your PS4 RS2014 Shop menu.

If I bought DLC on 360 but I now own a PS4, can I import my DLC across platforms? Can I transfer my Steam DLC library to my console?
    No, sorry. You can only import DLC from within the same console “family.” Cross-platform DLC transfer is not possible, as different publishers run each of those digital stores. It's a little like buying a Coca-Cola at McDonald's, then asking Burger King to refill your cup.

If I buy DLC on a new console (PS4 or Xbox One), can I also download it for my previous system (PS3 or Xbox 360)?
    No, sorry – but the opposite is true. If you buy DLC on an Xbox 360, you can bring it forward to Xbox One; if you buy DLC on a PS3, you can also download it on PS4. So if you want to own the DLC on both platforms within a console family, you’ll want to buy it on the earlier console, then download it on the newer one.

So, for maximum clarity:
    Buy on PS3, own it on PS3 and PS4
    Buy on PS4, own it on PS4
    Buy on Xbox 360, own it on Xbox 360 and Xbox One
    Buy on Xbox One, own it on Xbox One

Will DLC from the original Rocksmith be available for sale on the new consoles?
    Yes. All of the DLC released for the original Rocksmith is compatible with Rocksmith 2014 and will be made available for purchase on both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. If you’ve already bought it on your previous console, you can download it on your new console at no additional charge.

What is the current status of legacy DLC on each platform?
    All legacy DLC is available for sale and download worldwide.

I bought some DLC on my Xbox 360; why is it asking me to pay again on my Xbox One?
    The DLC license permissions required for 360 content to be used on Xbox One took a while to work out, but they should now be in place for all Xbox One users.

If I bought the DLC as a pack on my previous system, can I just download the singles on the new system?
    XBOX ONE: Yes, with a one or two exceptions (see below), though it's not completely implemented yet. You should be able to download some songs as singles on Xbox One that you originally bought as part of packs on 360. When the permissions are in place, here's what it should look like.

Select a song you have previously purchased on Xbox 360:

If the permission is in place for that song, you'll be asked if you'd like to install it.

If instead it asks you to pay money, stop and try that download again later, as the permission is not yet in place (and we don't want you to be accidentally charged twice for content you own). We are tracking users experiences here if you'd like to share what you see.

If you are having trouble finding your 360 purchases on Xbox One, try the following steps:
    1. Select Games and Apps from your Xbox One dashboard.
    2. Choose Rocksmith 2014 Remastered and press the Menu button (three horizontal lines)
    3. Choose Manage Game
    4. Select Ready to Install from the left-hand menu
    5. You should see all the DLC you own, but is not installed. Choose Install All to add those songs to your Xbox One installation of Rocksmith.

PS4: Yes. Due to the way Sony permissions work, the safest way to make sure everybody got the content they were promised was to associate the pack purchases with the individual songs. So any content you bought as a pack on PS3 will be available to you as singles on PS4. First, look for your songs in the Songs list. Anything you already own will have its price replaced with "Free" as shown:

Download all the tracks from a pack, and you'll see the pack's price change to the Rocksmith pick icon on the Packs menu as well:

How do I know which DLC songs I've bought already?
    On the web, you can head to your Microsoft Account or Sony Entertainment Network account and poke through your purchase/transaction/download history there. If you want to look it up on your console, here's how:

On Xbox 360, go to Settings and choose Account.

Select Download History.

You'll get a list, going chronologically backward, showing all your purchases on the system.

On PlayStation 3, start with Account Management under the PSN icon on the XMB:

Select Transaction Management.

Then, Transaction History.

Choose a range of dates, and you'll be shown a reverse-chronological history of purchases and downloads.

Select any of them to get more information. (These transaction include product redemptions via tokens/codes.)

Why didn't you just make the new version with all the DLC included on the disc, like other games do when they put out an updated edition?
    Our DLC is a little different from other games. Whereas other games might include extra maps or add-on story segments, there more than 400 compatible songs available for download for Rocksmith, each retailing for $2.99 (and of course, part of that goes to the artists). To bundle that all on a disc, you're looking at a price in excess of $1000. It makes sense for other games, but it's just not feasible in our situation.

Where is the newer DLC? I'm having trouble finding some of the most recent releases on my platform.
    XBOX: All DLC is now in sync and available on both Xbox 360 and Xbox One.
    PLAYSTATION: All DLC is now in sync and available on both PS3 and PS4.

What’s this "free Jimi Hendrix DLC" offer I heard about?
    In mid-December, we released 12 Jimi Hendrix songs as DLC for all six platforms. If you bought the PS4 or Xbox One editions of the game before February 2, you were able to download all that content for free. That offer has now expired, but the content is still available as paid DLC. More information is available here.

What about the free holiday pack DLC that was issued in 2011 -- will that be available on Xbox One and PS4?
    Sorry, that content is not planned for import (or re-release).

In 2012 I bought large Classic Rock/Alternative Rock/Metal packs. I don't see those for download, though. How do I get them?
    Those bundles were limited-time offers that packaged single songs together at a discount. While those bundles do not exist any more, you should be able to download that material as individual songs. If you aren't sure what you bought in those special packs, here are the track lists.

I bought "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" by The Darkness as a single on my previous system, but now I can't download it on the new system. Why?
    Due to a licensing restriction, we're no longer able to offer this song as a single. It's part of the Rock Singles pack along with Sweet's "Ballroom Blitz" and Ram Jam's "Black Betty," so the only way to get this song is as part of that pack.

What was that Xbox One DLC "download packs as singles" exception you talked about?
    There are two packs that should be downloaded as packs, not singles. One is Bachsmith, which is only available as a pack. The other is the Rock Singles Song Pack mentioned in the item just before this one. If you bought that pack, download it as a pack due to the unusual licensing stipulation involved in that case.

I bought some DLC on PS4, and the purchase went through, but I don’t see that track in my Learn a Song list. Where is it?

You probably need to restore your PSN licenses, which is quick and painless. Head to the Settings menu and select PSN:

Select Restore Licenses:

Click the big button on the bottom of the screen and wait a few seconds.

When you relaunch RS2014, the thing you didn’t know you had until it was gone should be returned.

Can I transfer my save game/progress to the new machine?
    No, sorry. You'll need to start that over, but hey -- your skills will totally transfer.

Do I need to buy the official Rocksmith Real Tone Cable?
    Yes, as you cannot use Rocksmith 2014 Edition without the Real Tone Cable. The physical/retail edition of the game comes with one, and if you would like additional cables (for instance, for multiplayer mode), you can buy additional cables from participating retailers or directly from Ubisoft.

I already own a Real Tone Cable from another edition of the game. Can I use that?
    Yes – the cable is universal and will work on any of the six supported platforms – PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PC, and Macintosh. If you already own a Real Tone Cable, you might want to get the digital download edition, which will be priced at $59.99 USD.

Where can I buy a second cable for multiplayer?
    Ubisoft sells them online via the Uplay Shop, and Amazon also carries the cable as its own item. Your local store might carry it too, or be able to order it for you; give them a call.

What’s new in the PS4 and Xbox One editions of the game?
    Both new versions output graphics at 1080p, so the visuals will look nicer if you have a 1080p television set. Additionally, the PlayStation 4 version supports Remote Play via the PlayStation Vita, so you can practice the songs in another room even though you aren’t being tracked or scored. Here is a Vine of Remote Play in action. On the other side of the fence, Xbox One users with Kinect can navigate the game using voice commands, so you never have to put down the guitar.

Is there some sort of upgrade pricing discount? Like, can I get the PS4 version for less since I already bought the PS3 edition?
    No, sorry -- we did look into this, but it just wasn't something we could pull off. But your DLC library will transfer over for no additional cost, so any investment in songs over the last year is safe. However, we are offering PS4 and Xbox One owners the upcoming Jimi Hendrix DLC for free for a limited time, so that might be of interest.

So why would I upgrade? There's no upgrade discount, it's basically the same game, and I don't care about those new elements.
    It's totally your call, based on your personal needs and console setup at home. When we released Rocksmith 2014 in late 2013, many people were investing in their new consoles instead of buying software for their previous platform, so they skipped it. Now, we're extending RS2014 to those new platforms so those folks can get a chance to learn to play guitar too. As to whether or not it makes sense for you to get it if you already own RS2014 on another platform, it's like buying your favorite movie on DVD, then seeing it come out for Blu-Ray. If you're trying to get all your favorite films on the latest format, then it might be something you want. If your DVD is serving you well, then you would probably just watch that when you're in the mood. Similarly, if you are enjoying RS2014 on your current platform, we'll keep supporting it with fresh DLC. Whichever version fits your lifestyle is fine with us -- we're glad you're playing!

If I already earned Achievements and Trophies on the previous console versions, will I be able to earn those again on the new systems?
    Yes. The games are seen as different entities, with their own lists of Achievements and Trophies.

Can I use the console’s streaming functionality to broadcast my Rocksmith 2014 gameplay?
    In some modes, yes. You can broadcast your free-form jams in Session Mode out to the internets as often as you like, show off your skills by streaming Guitarcade games, and hold sonic clinics online in Tone Designer. If you want to stream Learn a Song, Multiplayer, or Score Attack gameplay, you won't be able to use the internal streaming functionality for that content, due to copyright laws (which include the right of broadcast).

I connected my existing console using analog audio outputs, as recommended. But there are no analog audio outputs on PS4 or Xbox One. What do I do?
    We never recommend using only an HDMI connector to play Rocksmith 2014. Instead, we suggest you send the audio signal to an external receiver, speakers, or headphones using a separate cable, and only use HDMI for the video signal. In order of preference, we’d recommend one of these options:

- Connect your optical output jack to a receiver. Both the PS4 and the Xbox One feature optical audio outputs, but you’ll need an optical Toslink cable to use them, not to mention a receiver or headphone system with an optical input.

- If you don’t have an optical connector on your receiver, you can convert the optical signal to an RCA analog signal with an adapter like this one.

- You can also use an HDMI audio converter like this one (which features a 1/8” output jack and includes an RCA adapter cable) or, if you also have need for an HDMI switcher, this one (which features hardwired RCA jacks) or this one (which has a 1/8" out, and we've tested with headphones). Then, just turn the TV volume down so you don’t hear both.

The main idea is to avoid sending audio to your TV via the HDMI cable directly. Just about any other way you choose to reroute the audio signal before it gets to your TV will likely yield a better experience when you play Rocksmith 2014.We also strongly recommend you check out these diagrams. They are the same ones you'll see on the game's startup and, if you have the physical edition, on a flyer inside the package.

So it absolutely won't work if I run HDMI audio through the TV?
    It might, but we have a hunch it probably won't work well. Some people say they have no problem, but since there are so many HDTVs out there, all with different chips and designs and innards, there is no way for us to predict any individual user's setup. If HDMI audio works for you, cool! But we really, really do not recommend crossing your fingers and hoping you might be one of the very few people for whom HDMI audio through a TV works just fine.

Which audio settings should I check, and where are they located?
    Generally you will want to get your console to output as pure and unaffected an audio signal as possible, so that means disabling surround in most cases. Here's exactly where to go to change these settings (and you can always change them back -- feel free to experiment, you won't break anything): On Xbox One, go to Settings and choose Display & Sound.

On the far right, under Digital Audio, set the signal of your audio connection method to Stereo Uncompressed. This should toggle Bitstream format to Off, which is what you want. By turning off surround processing, Stereo uncompressed outputs audio with the lowest latency.

On PlayStation 4, go to Settings and scroll down to Sound and Screen.

Select Audio Output Settings.

For your RS2014 audio output, select Linear PCM (not Bitstream). This is the PS4's non-surround option so it outputs audio with the lowest latency.

Make sure you don't have Dolby or DTS selected -- only the Linear PCM options should be checked.

Can I run the full system audio through the headphone jack built into the PS4 DualShock 4 controller? What about the Xbox One controller with the Stereo Headset Adapter?
    Maybe and no, depending on your system, since the two consoles use different technology for their controllers. The Xbox One controller is wireless (2.4 GHz), but will use a USB micro cable for both data and power when connected. We were able to play with only a slim preceptible delay by plugging a pair of headphones into the Stereo Headset Adapter; connecting a USB micro cable to the controller seemed to shave a few more milliseconds off. If this seems like a good solution for your situation, give it a try -- you should be able to play and be detected/scored accurately, though you will probably perceive a short delay. Optical is still your best bet. The PS4 controller is wireless (Bluetooth), and only uses a USB micro cable for power, not data. Bluetooth is a little slower at delivering audio, and we saw and felt that in our tests. We could play it, but we wouldn't recommend it unless you have no other option, because the delay over Bluetooth is noticeable.

Is the music presented at higher fidelity/a higher bitrate on the new systems?
    The music has always had the lightest compression we could get away with -- that's too important to squash, so you'll get the same high quality you're used to on any of the existing platforms. However, you may detect some improvement in PS4/XB1 menu audio, venue reverbs, and Session Mode instruments, as the new systems let us get away with lighter compression in those areas.

What happens to the existing versions of Rocksmith 2014 on Xbox 360, PS3, PC, and Mac?
    We will continue to support all the existing platforms, and fresh DLC will continue to flow for all platforms on a weekly basis. Nothing is being taken away or discontinued; we're just extending RS2014 to two new systems.

I found a bug/glitch/technical problem/something isn't working the way it should. Where do I report that?
    Whenever you need help with a Ubisoft title, your first stop should always be the friendly folks at Ubisoft Support -- they really do exist to help solve problems. Seriously, try them first. That said, we also have dedicated threads for that for PS4 and Xbox One. Please keep these threads on topic and only use them to report bugs! And give us as much info as you can -- your area of the world (some problems are regional), what you were doing when things went wrong, and any other relevant info. We need details and lots of them!

cklinejr's Avatar Member
    Cool.

Hopefully this will extend the overall life of RS2014 and its support and DLC.

SeattleSauve's Avatar Senior Member
    This is great news. Love that the DLC transfers.

Question, is there also a patch for PC, and legacy consoles to either fix any issues or bring some of the new sharing functionality to those platforms?

Originally Posted by SeattleSauve Go to original post
    Question, is there also a patch for PC, and legacy consoles to either fix any issues or bring some of the new sharing functionality to those platforms?
    What is the "new sharing functionality" you refer to?

Ezios_Axe's Avatar Senior Member
    Very cool. I have to say that thanks to the ESRB this was the worst kept secret but I am really happy to see that this was 100% legit and it is dropping so soon. Thanks to this I can finally set my 360 aside after I get through Assassin's Creed Rogue. Thanks for the upgrade Ubisoft SF.

SeattleSauve's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by DanAmrich Go to original post
    What is the "new sharing functionality" you refer to?
    I was just reading the original announce: "Now you can easily record and share your performances. Because no one becomes a rock god without an audience.".

I'm not sure if that requires new functionality only available on PS4/Xbox, or if it's something that can apply to PC and downlevel as well.

Any idea if we're getting any update at all for 360/PS3/PC?

One reason the ESRB rumors couldn't be confirmed: Our ship date shuffled around a few times, so the final date and greenlight were only recently solidified. Game development and publishing is a more fluid process than I think most people suspect.

Originally Posted by SeattleSauve Go to original post
    I was just reading the original announce: "Now you can easily record and share your performances. Because no one becomes a rock god without an audience.".

I'm not sure if that requires new functionality only available on PS4/Xbox, or if it's something that can apply to PC and downlevel as well.
    Sorry, that simply means "you can stream your Session Mode jams to Twitch and it gets recorded/archived there." It's purely the internal Share button/Twitch functionality of the consoles being applied to a potential end-user scenario. That's the recording and sharing they mean -- no capture device required to post your in-game experimentation. (Please note I did not choose to use that phrasing in the FAQ above!)

Any idea if we're getting any update at all for 360/PS3/PC?
    Not aware of any; for better or worse, I think it's done-ish.

Digital Disscount

Hi:

There will be a price discount to all of us who own the digital edition on the same platform family??

Will be great if you do that.

Thx.

Originally Posted by MexGigio Go to original post
    Hi:

There will be a price discount to all of us who own the digital edition on the same platform family??

Will be great if you do that.

Thx.
    No. FAQ updated to reflect this common Q too.