Thread: Increase sniping distance please. | Forums

  1. #1

    Increase sniping distance please.

    For the PC and console players, is it possible to increase the sniping distance to about 600m? A .50 caliber sniper rifle is effective to 2000m in real-life and it really is not realistic for a shooter game to only have a maximum sniping range of about 200m. Please fix this Ubisoft. Arma 3 allows sniping out to 2800 meters so why is Far Cry 3 so restricted? Hopefully Far Cry 4 will have a much longer sniping range.
    Share this post

  2. #2
    BELLROY's Avatar Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    167
    Yes! Please! 500-600m would be great.
    Share this post

  3. #3
    Originally Posted by bejiitas_wrath Go to original post
    For the PC and console players, is it possible to increase the sniping distance to about 600m? A .50 caliber sniper rifle is effective to 2000m in real-life and it really is not realistic for a shooter game to only have a maximum sniping range of about 200m. Please fix this Ubisoft. Arma 3 allows sniping out to 2800 meters so why is Far Cry 3 so restricted? Hopefully Far Cry 4 will have a much longer sniping range.
    LoL Dude you really should go to the shooting range :-)
    Share this post

  4. #4
    Originally Posted by Korrax1805 Go to original post
    LoL Dude you really should go to the shooting range :-)
    I guess it would not be _easy_ to hit someone at that range, the longest sniper shot ever was 2.47 KM: http://www.******ssworldrecords.com/...ed-sniper-kill

    But even 600 meters would be better than 200. 800m would be awesome. As long as you could not just pick off a whole outpost from long distance. That is unrealistic though considering FC4 will have larger outposts.
    Share this post

  5. #5
    Originally Posted by bejiitas_wrath Go to original post
    I guess it would not be _easy_ to hit someone at that range, the longest sniper shot ever was 2.47 KM: http://www.******ssworldrecords.com/...ed-sniper-kill

    But even 600 meters would be better than 200. 800m would be awesome. As long as you could not just pick off a whole outpost from long distance. That is unrealistic though considering FC4 will have larger outposts.
    Well, if you mean single player game, i say "why not?". But in multiplayer game is long range sniping absolutely unreal. FC is very fast game and that is why i like this game. I do not imagine, how you can prepare for "long shot", in multiplayer gameplay rush. :-)
    Share this post

  6. #6
    StrayDog_RR's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    3,080
    Originally Posted by Korrax1805 Go to original post
    Well, if you mean single player game, i say "why not?". But in multiplayer game is long range sniping absolutely unreal. FC is very fast game and that is why i like this game. I do not imagine, how you can prepare for "long shot", in multiplayer gameplay rush. :-)
    It depends on the maps size. Far Cry 3 was really cod-ish and the official maps were really small, also sniping in the mid-range/long-range custom maps was a pain in the *** because sometimes I wasn't able to kill enemies that were very far. Far Cry 2 was another thing, I loved sniping with the dart rifle and the AS50 in that game.
    Share this post

  7. #7
    The game has a problem rendering images past the 100m mark and you want them to allow to snipe at 600M? You know what is even more tragic than not being able to really snipe at longer distances? the fact that you gain more XP with a takedown than with a headshot from distance

    I love sniping but in FC3, if you want to master all the skills quick, don't you go killing people, oh no, go wonder around, explore the world so to speak as you are better off finding relics and lost letters and pushing takedowns until the cows come home than actually doing any shooting... sometimes I wonder about the logic behind some of this shooter games.
    Share this post

  8. #8

    Compromise.

    Originally Posted by GiveMeTactical Go to original post
    The game has a problem rendering images past the 100m mark and you want them to allow to snipe at 600M? You know what is even more tragic than not being able to really snipe at longer distances? the fact that you gain more XP with a takedown than with a headshot from distance

    I love sniping but in FC3, if you want to master all the skills quick, don't you go killing people, oh no, go wonder around, explore the world so to speak as you are better off finding relics and lost letters and pushing takedowns until the cows come home than actually doing any shooting... sometimes I wonder about the logic behind some of this shooter games.
    But I have been playing Arma 3 lately and you can see for kilometers in that game. Why is FC3 so limited? A view distance of 2 KM would be better than the current limit. Is this due to the fact this is a console port for PC? In Arma 3 I could snipe someone at 1850 meters range. That is over 2000 yards. So why not increase view range in FC4. The mountainous terrain would limit the total view distance as there would be so many hills and mountains in the way, but this would make the game look much better. Make it scalable as in Arma to fit someones tec specs though so you could dial it down to increase FPS if desired. That would be a good compromise.
    Share this post

  9. #9
    Originally Posted by bejiitas_wrath Go to original post
    But I have been playing Arma 3 lately and you can see for kilometers in that game. Why is FC3 so limited? A view distance of 2 KM would be better than the current limit. Is this due to the fact this is a console port for PC? In Arma 3 I could snipe someone at 1850 meters range. That is over 2000 yards. So why not increase view range in FC4. The mountainous terrain would limit the total view distance as there would be so many hills and mountains in the way, but this would make the game look much better. Make it scalable as in Arma to fit someones tec specs though so you could dial it down to increase FPS if desired. That would be a good compromise.
    But then again, they'd need to implement actual physical bullets that aren't faster-than-light raycasts. Getting killed immediately from distances like that wouldn't be good from a gameplay perspective (and really, wind should be there, if they'll ever consider proper bullets, unlike in Battlefield where the only force you'll encounter is gravity (and even that is less than -9.81m/s of acceleration))
    Share this post

  10. #10
    Flanker1Six's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    US
    Posts
    696
    Originally Posted by bejiitas_wrath Go to original post
    But I have been playing Arma 3 lately and you can see for kilometers in that game. Why is FC3 so limited? A view distance of 2 KM would be better than the current limit. Is this due to the fact this is a console port for PC? In Arma 3 I could snipe someone at 1850 meters range. That is over 2000 yards. So why not increase view range in FC4. The mountainous terrain would limit the total view distance as there would be so many hills and mountains in the way, but this would make the game look much better. Make it scalable as in Arma to fit someones tec specs though so you could dial it down to increase FPS if desired. That would be a good compromise.
    The ARMA series is one of my favorites, and the more realistic viewing, rendering, and shooting distances is one of my favorite features of the game (except when I get shot out of nowhere!). FC and ARMA use completely different 3D engines. The FC3/4 engine is likely not capable of rendering distances beyond 100-200 meters with any degree of detail. If you start bribing the Ubi/Montreal Devs now.................................maybe they'll create, or license a 3D engine for FC5 that's capable of rendering objects at ARMA like distances. Probably not................................

    A complementary distance issue you've ignored is that in FC3 the vanilla weapons/projectiles had distance limits placed on them. If I recall correctly, one of the more knowledgeable players/modders mentioned in one of the FC3 modding forums; a distance limit of 175 meters for all of the vanilla sniper rifles, including the .50s. All the other weapons had even less range, and the shotguns were bleeping useless because the pellets virtually went sideways on exiting the muzzle. Distance, power/damage factors, and spread could be modded, once modding tools became available from the community, but there was never anyway to factor in ballistic drop (as in the ARMA series).

    Will FC4 be different in any of those respects? I hope so, but I'm not betting on it...................my real hope is we'll at least be able to mod vanilla deficiencies/gameply factors as much as we could in FC3. Guess we'll be finding out in about 5 weeks! w00t!!
    Share this post