Thread: Microtransactions in The Crew | Forums

Microtransactions in The Crew

So for those who may not already be aware, it has come to light that The Crew will feature microtransactions for many things within the game, including the ability to unlock performance parts.

Details here: http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/the_cr...view-3616.html

I find this utterly disgusting. Microtransactions have no place in a full-priced game like this, and are utterly unjustifiable. They are a negative thing on every conceivable level in a game like this. It also shows that the creators of the game have no respect for their own product, or the players. It sends an antagonistic message to the player, and undermines the whole experience of the game by turning in to nothing more than an excuse to squeeze as much money out of players as possible.

I implore whoever has the power to make this decision, be that at Ivory Tower or Ubisoft, to get rid of these monstrous design decisions. Please don't ruin a game that looks to have so much promise. Please don't try to copy the likes of Zynga.

Tully__'s Avatar Global Moderator
    As a gamer (I'm not an Ubisoft employee), how is this different to DLC packs? There has to be some sort of ongoing revenue stream to pay the operating costs for the servers, or they'll be shut down just when the community is getting settled in to a long term groove (and sales of the main game are dropping off, drying up the only source of revenue in the model you suggest).

It is totally different from DLC, as DLC brings new content to the game. A lot of games come with unlock codes nowadays and i don't really like it, but who cares. I'm perfectly capable of finding those parts myself. But when you have little time to play, are impatient and don't care to pay a little extra it can be a little boost to progress through the game. I think some make a big fuss out of nothing. If you don't want it, don't buy it.

On the other hand, if it influences competition in anyway, it is bad.
    We'll see how this unfolds in the upcoming weeks.

I will search for all updates myself. Much more fun

I cancelled my Pre-Order after this info about Microtransactions. Hate this in mobile game.

Rattenschnitzel's Avatar Member
    Sounds very optional for me, so what.
    Should anybody spend real money, who want to.
    I'll grinding my cash ingame while racing

Originally Posted by Rattenschnitzel Go to original post
    Sounds very optional for me, so what.
    Should anybody spend real money, who want to.
    I'll grinding my cash ingame while racing
    Of course, but it all depends on how well it's implemented. It should feel optional and people who decided to spend some real money shouldn't have a huge advantage over the rest.
    Microtransactions are not wrong by itself but it can feel bad in the game if it's not balanced which occurs in most of the F2P games. But they are F2P so they need to make money somehow and you are gaining advantage by spending money.

I have been poking around the web and it seems all the media that went to the press event in Paris is droning on and on about micro transactions. Why are people so up in arms about this? A lot of games these days offer micro transactions as an option. Even everybodies gem of 2013 - GTA V offered micro transactions. I never used them but they are optionally there.

While playing The Crew, I never once felt pressured into buying anything at all. The game progressed quite well and I'm really looking forward to it. Besides it could have been worse, What if they would have charged a monthly subscription fee?
    If you don't want to pay for micro transactions, then don't pay for them. The game will not stop you from getting a 100% naturally at all. So I fail to see why people are getting turned off all of the sudden.

It's just as normal as any other game, it just offers a way to fast track for better parts faster. I don't see a problem with this at all. From the few micro transactions I saw, it didn't seem like The Crew was pay to win at all.

asmolnyi's Avatar Banned
    Originally Posted by MadManCK Go to original post
    I will search for all updates myself. Much more fun
    This is the way that every not a noob player would pick, IMO.

Originally Posted by Tully__ Go to original post
    As a gamer (I'm not an Ubisoft employee), how is this different to DLC packs? There has to be some sort of ongoing revenue stream to pay the operating costs for the servers, or they'll be shut down just when the community is getting settled in to a long term groove (and sales of the main game are dropping off, drying up the only source of revenue in the model you suggest).

A fiver a month for VIP status. You get more... whatever for things you do in game. Premium vehicles that are unique and still not better than a fully kitted out vehicle of the same teir. but it can't be upgraded performance wise.

If it works for WoT... why not here?

Or... Idea. Wait Ubi wouldn't go for people hosting the servers for them. Cause then the game wouldn't be a good source of long term revenue, and they couldn't just yank the plug on it either.

Originally Posted by Tully__ Go to original post
    The inclussion of gameplay impacting microtransactions is very different to DLC. DLC simply adds new content, with ingame microtransactions we are now faced with games having their gameplay mechanics directly tweaked and manipulated by suits sat behind excel spreadsheets rather than game designers because they want to focus on 'Maximizing revenue streams' and 'encouraging' players to make inapp purchases. This has already had a negative impact on gaming, look at how Forza 5 had it's career earnings slashed in order to make it a grind to earn money in order to 'encourage' player to buy ingame currency.

With the sale of 'performance upgrades' for real money they have just voided any point in playing against other people, how do you know if you've just been beaten by a really skillful player or their wallet ? This kind of inapp purchase rubish should stay in the domain of the Free to Play, mobile and social game garbage, they have no place in AAA modern gaming imho.

To make matters worse you just know there will be payed for DLC ontop anyway, plus they are undoubtably going to charge the full £50 for the game up front.

This game has gone from a 'must have purchase' to 'one to avoid' in the blink of an eye for me I'm afraid. And as for how they can make money, there are plenty of other ways of doing it such as cosmetic only microtransactions, Regular payed DLC done hand in hand with free DLC, releasing a dedicated server program that people can run on their own servers etc.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... Last ►►