Being fairly new to this sim, I've only just gotten around to exploring the full mission / campaign features.

I flew my first offline campaign missions today and was rather getting sick of the continued chastisement by my sqaudron leader. For example, about halfway into a mission he signalled that enemy fighters were at our 12 o'clock. The squadron engaged them, myself included.

Within 30 seconds of the dogfight starting, my sqaudron leader starts shouting at me - asking me were am I going and to maintain my course (the course being the predetermined waypoints on the mission flight plan). This is something quite difficult to do when I am in the middle of a dogfight.

After trying numerous missions I found this occured repeatedly. It also occured if we are attacking ground targets. There does not seem to be any way to prevent this behaviour.

Is this "normal" (and do I just ignore him) or am I doing something wrong? And if I ignore him, are there any far reaching implications? (like demotion, disciplinary action, etc?).

Additionally, I assume if I am captured them that is the end of the campaign for me and I have to start a new one?

Being fairly new to this sim, I've only just gotten around to exploring the full mission / campaign features.

I flew my first offline campaign missions today and was rather getting sick of the continued chastisement by my sqaudron leader. For example, about halfway into a mission he signalled that enemy fighters were at our 12 o'clock. The squadron engaged them, myself included.

Within 30 seconds of the dogfight starting, my sqaudron leader starts shouting at me - asking me were am I going and to maintain my course (the course being the predetermined waypoints on the mission flight plan). This is something quite difficult to do when I am in the middle of a dogfight.

After trying numerous missions I found this occured repeatedly. It also occured if we are attacking ground targets. There does not seem to be any way to prevent this behaviour.

Is this "normal" (and do I just ignore him) or am I doing something wrong? And if I ignore him, are there any far reaching implications? (like demotion, disciplinary action, etc?).

Additionally, I assume if I am captured them that is the end of the campaign for me and I have to start a new one?

I too was getting tired of getting yelled at while fighting. I then started to stick to my wingman like glue. When I am an even numbered plane in a squadron I stick to the next lower odd numbered plane as much as I can. IE: I am #4 so I follow #3.
    I only get yelled at when I break off from him or lose him during the fight.
    Try to think like a rookie pilot would in real life and stick to your wingman. Protect him at all costs before going after your own kills.

Screw that, ignore the annoying prat and continue the mission the way you want. So long as the objectives get completed, that's what matters. It's only you and some AI after all

----------------------
    WTE 2TG No. 68 Sentai
    BANZAI!

Hi,

Thanks very much for the quick answers. I believe you are both right. So it boils down to how realistic I wish to be. I'm happy to do it both ways depending on how the mood takes me.

Tully__'s Avatar Global Moderator
    Any time you get to be more than a fixed distance from the flight leader you'll get that message (2 or 3km, I can't remember). It's automatic, so if circumstances dictate that you're at more than the trigger distance, ignore him.

=================================================

Tully's X-45 profile (SST drivers)

Salut
    Tully

WTE_Galway's Avatar Senior Member
    alternatively, if you are doing a fighter campaign, radio the ground control to send assistance and your flight will come to you instead

Only problem is sometimes they seem to get stuck orbiting the point you radioed from until they run out of fuel

Jasko76's Avatar Senior Member
    Just ignore the bastard and carry on blasting the enemy!
    Now that we are discussing radio messages - why are the Germans the only ones to shout and screem when hit or just excited. Russian dudes are too cool - never raise voice, even when hit and burning, making germans sound hysteric. Macho Russians vs. sissy Germans.

Regards,

Jasko

I rulez - You not!

Fehler's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dukayn:
    Screw that, ignore the annoying prat and continue the mission the way you want. So long as the objectives get completed, that's what matters. It's only you and some AI after all

----------------------
    WTE 2TG No. 68 Sentai
    BANZAI!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFL! Dukayn spent a lot of time in the brig...

http://webpages.charter.net/cuda70/9JG54.html

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
    alternatively, if you are doing a fighter campaign, radio the ground control to send assistance and your flight will come to you instead

Only problem is sometimes they seem to get stuck orbiting the point you radioed from until they run out of fuel <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't realise that the assistance worked that way. I'll try that. I just thought the aircraft came from the nearest populated airfield on your particular side.

As for running out of fuel, guess what happened to the rest of my sharp-witted squad on only my third mission? We kept patrolling this triangular area, and after a while I noticed that I would soon run out of fuel. So I ignored my leader's incessant ravings for me to stay with him and flew back to our airfield. Nearly everyone else dropped out of the sky half way back.

So I understand the "artificial" bit, I'm just having issues understanding the "intelligence" bit.

I'm half thinking I might try my campaigns starting with a higher rank. Maybe I can get a bit of order into the squad!