Thread: The story from Assassin's Creed IV is fundamentally flawed | Forums

thewhitestig's Avatar Member

The story from Assassin's Creed IV is fundamentally flawed

Am I the only one who thinks the story of Assassin's Creed IV is fundamentally flawed?

The whole point of the last games was that you were part of a creed. You were fighting for good. For justice and freedom for all people. While the Templars were the exact opposite. They were the oppressors wanting to control people.

This time however, you're nothing more than a bloody pirate. You have some connections to the Assassin's but you're not one yourself. You are not fighting for justice and freedom. You steal from other people, and kill innocent travelers. You plunder whatever you can find. It's all about your personal benefit, and not about what's good for humanity.

Edward Kenway is not a man who deserves to wear the clothes of an Assassin. He has no honor, no moral high ground over the Templars, he has no respect for the human life and does not distinguish good from evil. He is essentially the bad guy, even though his end goal aligns with the one of the creed.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing bad guys in video games, it's just that this new "assassin" feels extremely out of place.

roostersrule2's Avatar Senior Member
    That was the whole point of Eddie's story.

While I'll agree that I preferred the Assassins vs Templar stories from the past games, Edwards story was meant to be one of personal gain and riches.

Shahkulu101's Avatar Senior Member
    It's a neutral perspective, a nice change for once. The Creed plays as much a part in Edwards life than any other Assassin, he just wildly misinterprets it at first. Eventually he becomes a better man and embraces the Assassin's agreeing to eliminate the remaining Templars. And at the end, he isn't just a bloody pirate - he's a selfless man with nothing left of his pirate life. All he has is his daughter, and he's happy. It was never about riches, Edward convinced himself it was.

pirate1802's Avatar AC Expert
    That was the point of the story. To show how Eddy turned from a selfish pirate to a understanding assassin. Its sometimes good to see things from a different perspective.

Btw, you never steal or kill any innocent people or ships, not more than other ACs used to allow you, at any rate.

He has no honor, no moral high ground over the Templars, he has no respect for the human life and does not distinguish good from evil. He is essentially the bad guy, even though his end goal aligns with the one of the creed.
    Well hold on, no he surely is not the "good guy" but he isn't the way you're describing him as well. The one who you are describing is Charles Vane. Who sinks a civilian schooner without second thoughts. He is the neutral guy, not the evil psychopath guy you're describing him as. He does have some noble qualities as well, lest you forget. He's not a racist, for example, even when his compatriots are. He'd go to any length to protect people he considers friends.

thewhitestig's Avatar Member
    pirate1802, if stealing from the British and Spanish and killing their people is not bad, then what is?

pirate1802's Avatar AC Expert
    Originally Posted by thewhitestig Go to original post
    pirate1802, if stealing from the British and Spanish and killing their people is not bad, then what is?
    As if other assassins from other five games never did such a thing...?

Charles_Phipps's Avatar Senior Member
    The issue is complicated by the fact that the Spanish and British ships in the area are oppressing the local people and the majority of the stuff they're carrying was achieved through slave plantations. Rum and Sugar come from the slave holding plantations all around the Caribbean so, really, it's hard to feel sympathy for the individuals transporting those goods.

Also, honestly, I like that Edward is a figure who tries to live in a fundamentally unjust time where a man born in the lower class could never think about becoming more than he was.

Am I the only one who thinks the story of Assassin's Creed IV is fundamentally flawed?

The whole point of the last games was that you were part of a creed. You were fighting for good. For justice and freedom for all people. While the Templars were the exact opposite. They were the oppressors wanting to control people.

This time however, you're nothing more than a bloody pirate. You have some connections to the Assassin's but you're not one yourself. You are not fighting for justice and freedom. You steal from other people, and kill innocent travelers. You plunder whatever you can find. It's all about your personal benefit, and not about what's good for humanity.

Edward Kenway is not a man who deserves to wear the clothes of an Assassin. He has no honor, no moral high ground over the Templars, he has no respect for the human life and does not distinguish good from evil. He is essentially the bad guy, even though his end goal aligns with the one of the creed.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing bad guys in video games, it's just that this new "assassin" feels extremely out of place.
    I'd also like to point out the issue was more complicated than you're saying. In Assassins Creed 1, the Templars included many individuals who wanted to make the world a better place like the guy who was treating all the insane people in the Holy Land and trying to find a cure for their conditions.

Altair was also an arrogant murderer for most of the game and really, I'm not too much of a fan of the man he became.

Ezio, yeah, was presented as THE GOOD GUY.

But I like Connor was an idealist who didn't make things better just because he THOUGHT he was a hero.

Haytham thought he was a hero too, after all.

ze_topazio's Avatar Senior Member
    Not this sh*t again...

Originally Posted by ze_topazio Go to original post
    Not this sh*t again...
    I admit, I wonder why we keep getting people talking about being an Assassin is all about being the hero.

I think the games are pretty clear Assassins are morally ambiguous good guys.

I go with Shaun's description of them. "We kill people as our first and last acts, we're not goody-goody types."

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►