A point about outfits

Hello all,

I've now been playing AC4 for a few weeks and there are certain things regarding the outfits available that I keep noticing; many of them have weird, unnecessary details, or appear to have the potential to be so much better looking than they are if they were just slightly altered. Some examples:

Edward the Legend: This one would look fantastic, if not for the eye-covering, hair-covering orange bandana and glaring red gloves. I do not really understand why those things are added to it when it is clearly the ideal pirate captain outfit without them. The bandana confuses me most, I think, for the simple reason that it covers the right eye - incidentally the same eye that Edward looks through his spyglass in in at least one cutscene. It just doesn't make any sense.
    Whaler outfit: The torso of this outfit is exactly how you might imagine a pirate without his coat on to look like. The vest and long-sleeved shirt combined are reminiscent of so many fantastic costumes you see in both film and illustrations. Then you look down, and see that it's combined with a pair of shorts and sandals, reducing Edward to look like one of his deckhands. I don't get that either. If an outfit has the potential to fit the setting and the character perfectly, why make it that way, especially when there already is the Shark-hunter Outfit filling the role of a light, fishing boat-friendly outfit among the lot?
    Templar armour: This is an outfit I know for a fact that tonnes of people have set out to acquire as soon as they were able. I was one of them. It looks stunning on the skeleton on which you find it. Then you put it on, and it turns out that not only is it really, really thick in a way that only Russian wintercoats should be, but it also has a thick scarf sticking up the poor pirate's face all the time, fat-fingered blacksmith gloves and a sash with a blatant templar cross on it. I get that it's a templar outfit, but come on, would an assassin-affiliated, anti-templar pirate wear that?
    Captain Drake's Outfit: I had the same feeling about this one as I did with the templar armour. It looks great on paper, but once you put it on it just doesn't look like something Edward would wear. It's bulky, heavy, plate-clad (probably uncomfortably hot as well!). I've tried very hard, but I just cannot see it being suitable for any of the things you do in the entire game - except for charging into a fortress alone, I suppose.
    Captain Morgan's Redingote: I have nothing to say about this one except this: boots. When I saw the preview after acquiring it, it was like falling in love with the game a second time. Finally a proper, respectable pirate outfit! And then it turns out that in place of boots there's a pair of blue knee-high socks and shoes so wide they look like duck feet whenever you're doing anything but walking calmly and keeping your eyes off the ground. Yes, those kind of socks with those kind of shoes were common for the era, but does Edward Kenway really strike anyone as the type?

Those are the main examples, anyway, and they just make me think, why? They just don't make sense to me, so I guess the reason why I made this thread is to see if anyone agrees with me or if I am completely alone (and crazy) in this. So tell me, what do people think?

phoenix-force411's Avatar Senior Member
    I was more disappointed with the Green outfit that looks like the Governor and the Officer's outfit. The green was too dark, and so, it looked black most of the time. I don't really wear a lot of costumes, I mostly stay in the original.

Kagurra's Avatar Senior Member
    I really like Captain Morgan's outfit except for the giant white feathers. I'm assuming they're historically accurate but they're ugly. I might wear it every once in a while if it didn't have that. But probably not. I like the assassin getup too much.

RoBg03's Avatar Member
    i like edward the legend cept for the gloves. and the templar armor is way too bulky, and certainly not what you'd want to wear in the Caribbean sun.

Since when do what people wear make sense? Look at medieval knights in their suits of armor. Think they had an easy time moving in those things? And they probably sweat pretty badly. Then there's how they used the bathroom. I'd hate to be the poor squire stuck cleaning their lord's suit of armor at the end of a battle. People wore some pretty crazy stuff then and now. Don't be surprised if they actually wore heavy clothes in the Caribbean sun. Besides, people didn't really have sunblock then. You either covered up or hoped you tanned because otherwise you were toast. Even today, we're told to cover up in the sun and especially when we go hiking which means pants and long sleeves. That's to help avoid skin cancer and other things like insect bites. Even if you tan, you can still get skin cancer so it's best to cover up and use sun block even if that means you'll sweat to death. Maybe our ancestors were smarter than we give them credit for if they ran around covered up in the sun while we insist on running around in the bare minimum.

And just because you're at the equator doesn't mean it won't get cold as hell at night. Deserts often are hot during the day and cold at night because there's little to hold the heat. Most of the Caribbean islands are largely sand with the larger ones having more foliage. Think a ship can really hold much heat at night? Not like they had heaters throughout the ship besides the cook's stove and the cannons and the very tiny lanterns. Look at Bedouins. Think they run around in shorts riding camels? They run around in clothing from head to foot to block the sun and to help with the cold at night. There's a practical reason for it.

And just because you don't like the style doesn't mean it wasn't in fashion at one point. Look at the style of the 1970s or 1980s. Think most people would wear that now? Or the dress of the French court during Marie Antoinette's day? Or even Queen Elizabeth I's?

Styles and opinions are both subjective and can change. Chances are someone likes the outfits others hate or else we'd just get the default outfit recolored a million different ways and nothing else. Nice to have some variety. Don't like most of the outfits in AC4 myself but I also wasn't a fan of most of the ones in AC3, either ... or AC2/ACB/ACR. I thought the "Captain of the Aquila" outfit (the baby blue one, not the "real" one) was too prissy for Connor and made him look like some cocky noble. Shoes and socks didn't help. I didn't like the Captain Kidd outfit, either. The hat was just too much for me. I'm fine with the default outfits and the recolors for them. About the only one I see myself using in AC4 is the brown coat, but more than likely I'd just stick with the default the whole game.

Joys of having so many outfits available to us it that chances are there will be one we like in the mix. Perhaps we don't like the others, but should we really complain? Someone else may like the features we hate while they hate the outfits we like. You can't please everyone. You even try and you end up pleasing no one.

@giardoam_titan: That is why I made this thread, to see if people agree that some outfits aren't exactly what they could be. I'm mostly disappointed that there is no middle ground. You can't dress like a regular pirate, or a regular person in the Caribbean even. It's either assassin hoods or outfits that stand out a lot.

Kagurra's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by guardian_titan Go to original post
    Since when do what people wear make sense? Look at medieval knights in their suits of armor. Think they had an easy time moving in those things? And they probably sweat pretty badly. Then there's how they used the bathroom. I'd hate to be the poor squire stuck cleaning their lord's suit of armor at the end of a battle. People wore some pretty crazy stuff then and now. Don't be surprised if they actually wore heavy clothes in the Caribbean sun. Besides, people didn't really have sunblock then. You either covered up or hoped you tanned because otherwise you were toast. Even today, we're told to cover up in the sun and especially when we go hiking which means pants and long sleeves. That's to help avoid skin cancer and other things like insect bites. Even if you tan, you can still get skin cancer so it's best to cover up and use sun block even if that means you'll sweat to death. Maybe our ancestors were smarter than we give them credit for if they ran around covered up in the sun while we insist on running around in the bare minimum.

And just because you're at the equator doesn't mean it won't get cold as hell at night. Deserts often are hot during the day and cold at night because there's little to hold the heat. Most of the Caribbean islands are largely sand with the larger ones having more foliage. Think a ship can really hold much heat at night? Not like they had heaters throughout the ship besides the cook's stove and the cannons and the very tiny lanterns. Look at Bedouins. Think they run around in shorts riding camels? They run around in clothing from head to foot to block the sun and to help with the cold at night. There's a practical reason for it.

And just because you don't like the style doesn't mean it wasn't in fashion at one point. Look at the style of the 1970s or 1980s. Think most people would wear that now? Or the dress of the French court during Marie Antoinette's day? Or even Queen Elizabeth I's?

Styles and opinions are both subjective and can change. Chances are someone likes the outfits others hate or else we'd just get the default outfit recolored a million different ways and nothing else. Nice to have some variety. Don't like most of the outfits in AC4 myself but I also wasn't a fan of most of the ones in AC3, either ... or AC2/ACB/ACR. I thought the "Captain of the Aquila" outfit (the baby blue one, not the "real" one) was too prissy for Connor and made him look like some cocky noble. Shoes and socks didn't help. I didn't like the Captain Kidd outfit, either. The hat was just too much for me. I'm fine with the default outfits and the recolors for them. About the only one I see myself using in AC4 is the brown coat, but more than likely I'd just stick with the default the whole game.

Joys of having so many outfits available to us it that chances are there will be one we like in the mix. Perhaps we don't like the others, but should we really complain? Someone else may like the features we hate while they hate the outfits we like. You can't please everyone. You even try and you end up pleasing no one.
    Well you don't want to be wearing something bulky in the Caribbean like the Templar armor because it would impact your ability to swim. It's said that pirate captains of that time period had up to 8 pistols on them at one time, but it like I said impacted there ability to swim if needed. And people are like "Oh boo hoo why does Edward only have 4?" Because he wouldn't be able to do his Assassin free-running maneuvers and swim effectively in a super bulky outfit or with tons and tons of pistols Sure if you're just some dude walking around town it's fine, but not for Edward, a pirate captain and Assassin. Which is what the game is about...

Reading through what's been said again since it's not 5 am and I am slightly more awake than when I last replied, hence-..

That's the thing, though. It seems to be a trend in the development of the Assassin's Creed games to continuously make outfits that don't fit the main character at all, and that's what doesn't make sense to me. Altaïr was fine, his garb was simple and blended in with the monks of various cities of the Holy Land. AC2-Ezio was also fine. Then we get to AC:B and Ezio has gone from a Renaissance dress-code with subtle assassin themes to full-on grandiose almost royal clothing with enormous assassin bling all over him in addition to the shiny bulk of armour if you cared to upgrade him (which I didn't for precisely that reason) - and this is Ezio trying to avoid the Borgias' attention in Rome. I don't think that would work very well. AC:R was again fine for the simple reason that Constantinople was a cultural melting pot at that time and the assassins seem to have been more public anyway.

But then we get to AC3 and AC4, alternative outfits are introduced, and one might have assumed that they would 1) Fit the characters, and 2) Fit the discreet/subtle nature of an assassin. The problem is that almost none of them do, and wearing many of them takes away so much credibility from the character that the only point in wearing them would be for the 'cool factor' - but should that really be the priority here?

The eye being covered was something that was historically thought to be done not because an eye was lost, but because by keeping a patch/cover whatnot over one eye allowed the eye to be able to see quickly in a darkened area. You keep one eye covered, and when you need your eyes to adjust quickly to the darkness, you switch sides with the patch/cover and your other eye is already focused because it's been covered.

It was also of course, used to cover lost eyes and eye sockets, but it's original purpose was believed to be what I listed above, the covering of eye sockets didn't come later.

And they're just costumes. It's just a change of pace from the white hood and whatnot. The ones that are designed for the Assassin based on his attitude, time period, etc. are generally the standard robes in the first place.

The eye being covered was something that was historically thought to be done not because an eye was lost, but because by keeping a patch/cover whatnot over one eye allowed the eye to be able to see quickly in a darkened area. You keep one eye covered, and when you need your eyes to adjust quickly to the darkness, you switch sides with the patch/cover and your other eye is already focused because it's been covered.

It was also of course, used to cover lost eyes and eye sockets, but it's original purpose was believed to be what I listed above, the covering of eye sockets didn't come later.
    That is true enough, but it does not go hand in hand with the game or Edward. He uses the right eye for looking in the spyglass, and as far as I have played, you never once see him below deck of the Jackdaw. All I'm saying is that it adds nothing, I hardly think a great number of people think it looks better with it, and it's just unnecessary - which is my point, i.e. the abundance of silly unnecessary details they continuously put into the AC outfits. It can get very frustrating when you don't want to use a hooded outfit and you don't want to choose an appearance that simply isn't Edward (or Connor, in AC3), because there is no middle ground.

And they're just costumes.
    They're just costumes to you. To others it's very important how their character looks when they immerse themselves in games - especially if it's a third person game. Personally it's one of my priorities, as I try to go with the 'hide in plain sight' approach as much as possible (which was the original idea of the assassins in AC1, but has since been abandoned despite the assassins allegedly becoming more underground) and that is simply not possible with the current outfits in AC3 or AC4. The only exception is the Stede Bonnet Attire, but do you know how ridiculous it looks when you're in a cutscene and Edward and Bonnet are wearing identical clothes?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►