Secu12's Avatar Member

Questions regarding Assassin's Creed IV gameplay and mechanics

Hello fellow Assassins!

I've played by now the first five sequences on PC and I have some questions:
    1) Most of the Jackdaw upgrades and appearances need and other resources than money. I can't figure out wich one is only by their symbol. Where can I find a list of all upgrades and the neccesary resources for each of them?
    2) I just got introduced in the "Kenway fleet". On the upper right corner of the screen there is a symbol, like diamond, of a resource that you need it to repair your ships. How is it called and how do you collect it?
    3) After a naval battle, if I choose to send the enemy ship to my fleet, how else can I repair the Jackdaw?
    4) There are platforming missions similar to assassin tombs in Assassin's Creed II?
    5) If I start a side mission. like an assassin contract, how do I abort it?

Thank you very much and I will be using this thread for all my questions regarding this beautiful game.

Originally Posted by Secu12 Go to original post
    Hello fellow Assassins!

I've played by now the first five sequences on PC and I have some questions:
    1) Most of the Jackdaw upgrades and appearances need and other resources than money. I can't figure out wich one is only by their symbol. Where can I find a list of all upgrades and the neccesary resources for each of them?
    2) I just got introduced in the "Kenway fleet". On the upper right corner of the screen there is a symbol, like diamond, of a resource that you need it to repair your ships. How is it called and how do you collect it?
    3) After a naval battle, if I choose to send the enemy ship to my fleet, how else can I repair the Jackdaw?
    4) There are platforming missions similar to assassin tombs in Assassin's Creed II?
    5) If I start a side mission. like an assassin contract, how do I abort it?

Thank you very much and I will be using this thread for all my questions regarding this beautiful game.
    Love your avatar!

1) Here

2) You earn gems (it's what they call them) by fighting the battles to clear the trade routes.

3) You need to defeat another ship then to get the "repair the Jackdaw" option.

4) Nothing near a "jumpy" as the AC2 missions, some of which frustrated the CRAP out of me.

5) Go to the game pause mission, Quit and then "Quit memory," though I'm not certain if that works for side-missions like the contracts, or only primary game memories. Why do you want to abort an assassination contract?

Secu12's Avatar Member
    Thank you!

3) Yes, but instead of chosing to repair my ship, how else can I repair it? It's the only option?
    4) I loved those ones
    5) Becaue of possible bugs and glitches. Remember last year's Assassin's Creed III?

3) Yes, but instead of chosing to repair my ship, how else can I repair it? It's the only option?
    Sorry, yes - you can also repair it at any harbour master. Though as long as you're cruising around in the ocean, it's just easier to capture an enemy ship.

5) Becaue of possible bugs and glitches. Remember last year's Assassin's Creed III?
    Good point!! Haven't found any deal-breakers, though.

Secu12's Avatar Member
    I understand that playing with your friends, naval missions cand be completed much faster. Hou you do that?
    If I start a mission which requires 8 hours, for example, it means I have to keep my PC turned on this amount of time or it can be completed even my PC it's shut down?
    The Companion App is it compatible with the PC version of the game?

The Fleet missions will continue to run even when your game is shut down, because they're not handled in-game but on Ubisoft's servers (this is why you can also access them from other places than just the game, and why the Fleet menu will close when you lose connection). And so the companion app is compatible with every version of the game (as far as I know).

To help your friends: If you open the Fleet menu, and your friends are also running Fleet missions, you should be able to see them on your map. Then you should be able to click their ships, that will let you help them, and they can do the same for you. I have not personally experienced this because I have no friends that also play this game, but this is what I heard. It could be very useful, there are some missions that can take 36 hours! Though if you send faster ships the mission times will be shorter.

The gems, by the way, you can also earn by disassembling ships in the Fleet menu. I often send ships to the fleet just to break them down for gems. The bigger the ship, the more gems it will make.

Secu12's Avatar Member
    Nice strategy for obtaining gemstones!

Should I understand that a mission takes 10 hours to complete (as seen in the available missions menu) and you send a faster ship it cand take less than that time?
    I don't get why I have only four regions unlocked to trade by now: Gulf of Mexico, Southern British Colonies, South Atlantic and other one I can't remember. I repeat them over and over. How can you trade in more regions?
    I had attacked a naval convoy and the frigate I send it to my fleet but I got no money reward. I saw other naval convoy who had 10000 reales. Not all of them have money?

The time listed for a mission to complete will change if you select a different ship, so you can check before sending it off. I think the "default" time is based on the speed of a man 'o war, which are the slowest (but biggest) ships you can find, so pretty much every other ship will make the time shorter.

New regions should unlock when you do trade missions. Usually a trade mission will list at the top of the mission's description if it unlocks a new location. Be sure to do all the different ones, especially the ones with an exclamation mark, as those are new missions. It may also require progress in the main storyline, but I'm not sure about that.

Not every ship carries Reales, though I think a Royal convoy (with an R on the map) pretty much always does. You can check what a ship is carrying by using the spyglass, even after you've disabled it (when you can board it). If you board it you get all of it, if you end up destroying the ship you can fish half the amount out of the water.

Oh also, if you're preparing to battle ships in the Fleet menu, and you don't like the look of your opponents, you can cancel out of the battle menu and when you select the route again your opponents will have changed. It's possible to find easier battles that way.

Syr.Jake's Avatar Member
    The symbols are your cargo.

In order:
    Sugar
    Rum
    Cloth
    Wood
    Metal

The sugar and rum are, for want of a better term, vendor trash. They are items you loot but cannot use directly, and are meant to be sold. You can sell them at a Harbour Master, General Store, or through the Ship Model in the Captains Quarters on your ship.

The cloth, wood, and metal you should always keep until you have bought every upgrade and appearance for the Jackdaw. After you have fully upgraded the ship, you can sell any cargo that you loot as there is no longer a need to keep it.

Originally Posted by Teebob2000 Go to original post
    Sorry, yes - you can also repair it at any harbour master. Though as long as you're cruising around in the ocean, it's just easier to capture an enemy ship.

Good point!! Haven't found any deal-breakers, though.
    Here lately though, when I go to a Harbormaster to get my ship repaired, it tells me I have nothing to repair despite that I am missing two of the three large yellow chunks of health.