Can someone explain the ending to me?

I really didn't get it the ending. I've followed this series since the beginning, and the ending just didn't make all that much sense to me. Particularly, the situation with Juno and the other ones who came before. They were so involved with Desmond since Ezio's time, and then just so little. So if someone can just not take this as me complaining and provide a good synopsis of the ending that would be great.

Thanks

Here, he and the others find Juno's apparition, who instructs Desmond to activate a pedestal which will save the world from the ongoing solar flares. However, Minerva's apparition suddenly appears and reveals that by doing so, he will also die and inadvertently free Juno from captivity, allowing her to begin her conquest of the world. She explains that Juno was sealed long ago during the war between the First Civilization and humanity, when she plotted to use the machines designed to save the world against it.

Minerva, prodded by Juno, then shows Desmond that if the Sun were to unleash its power on the world, he and several more would survive in a post-apocalyptic world, in which he would become a religious icon whose ideals would be mistranslated and lead the world to continue its perpetual cycle. Believing the world would stand a better chance fighting against Juno, Desmond instructs the others to leave to prepare for the oncoming struggle. After they leave, Desmond then activates the pedestal, taking his life and saving the world. From there, Juno appears and tells Desmond that his part has ended and now it is time for her to play her part.
    source: Assassin's Creed wiki

Its pretty simple really. When Minerva sent Ezio a message (for Desmond indirectly) she did not know that Juno was plotting for revenge of humanity because she blames the lost of her civilization as a result of the human-TWCB war led by Eve before the solar flare of the past. After the message was delivered, there was no way to stop it from reaching Ezio. At the same time, while looking for a solution to stop the next flare in 2012, Minerva discovered Juno's terrible plot and imprisoned her in the Grand temple (I think it's in that temple). Minerva's seventh solution (The Eye) was the only way the people of 2012 could survive. Far into the future, when TWCB were almost extinct, Minerva decided to look into the future one last time to see if her solution worked. The results were unexpected and Juno managed to sabotage the whole plan, twisting it to benefit her in her endeavours to rule the world. Then you have AC3's ending in full effect