The only worry I have in all my giddiness of the announcement of PF is the potential size of the maps and the flying time involved from base or carrier to target and back.

If the Gulf of Finland map already loads slow in my PC, how much more time would a Slot map take. And a flight from Rabaul to Guadalcanal would be long even with 8x compression. Should PF finally be the first of the Maddox products to have a "warp-to-next-waypoint" feature ?

The only worry I have in all my giddiness of the announcement of PF is the potential size of the maps and the flying time involved from base or carrier to target and back.

If the Gulf of Finland map already loads slow in my PC, how much more time would a Slot map take. And a flight from Rabaul to Guadalcanal would be long even with 8x compression. Should PF finally be the first of the Maddox products to have a "warp-to-next-waypoint" feature ?

sensaispcc55,

That's right I can't even think of a single location in the Pacific that would be as busy as the Finnish Gulf. The slowdowns on FB maps come from nothing but buildings - Finnish Gulf with two huge capital cities and an untold number of smaller towns and villages has several hundred thousand buildings! In contrast, even a heavily populated area like Hawaii has nothing of the sort.

In other words, it's not the map size that taxes your resources, it's the objects that are on the map. A lot of Pacific maps have such tiny landmasses that they have less objects on them than your average online map - thus the loading time and resource impact is more comparable to them than to the Finnish Gulf

I agree with Luthier, it's not so much the map size, but the detailed cities and other locations that cause long loading times.

However, can we expect the new Pacific map to have the Evil Trees of Lag? (Objects 168-175 presently). The present Online Map #8 (Pacific) is small, but it runs slow. I love the way these trees look, but they certainly hurt performance on my substandard setup. I guess its just time to upgrade.

Chuck_Older's Avatar Banned
    The real pilots had a releif tube.

I suspect a more aggresive time compression will be available

Wave bub-bub-bub-bye to the boss, it's your profit, it's his loss~ Clash

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Capt._Tenneal:

If the Gulf of Finland map already loads slow in my PC, how much more time would a Slot map take. And a flight from Rabaul to Guadalcanal would be long even with 8x compression. Should PF finally be the first of the Maddox products to have a "warp-to-next-waypoint" feature ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

he has map envy.

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe, bios 1008
    Nvidia nForce 2, Ultra 400 chipset
    Antec 430w PS
    Athlon XP 3200 (400fsb)
    ATI Radeon 9700pro
    1024mb Corsair XMS, twin x, pc3200, dual channel
    120gb Maxtor, sata 150 - 120gb WD 7200rpm
    SB Audigy
    Windows XP, home
    Saitek X45

It's not the size of the map. It's the motion on it's ocean.

chris455's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
    The real pilots had a releif tube.

Chuck,
    We have a "relief tube" of sorts in FB already- the "P" key.
    Now aint THAT a coincidence!
    S!

Wave bub-bub-bub-bye to the boss, it's your profit, it's his loss~ Clash
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Imaging after a DF with zeke's and you (wildcat) are badly shoot, although you won the battle but all your equipment are damage. You lose you compass, your radio don't work... and you look out from you conopy... endless sea. Where's your carrier, which direction you go...

"Biar berputih tulang, jangan berputih mata"
    Translated:
    "Let the whites of your bones, but do not show the whites of your eyes"