Hi there,
    I was reading an earlier thread that mentioned how some players "cheated" by mapping the elevator trim to an axis which gave them potentially better high speed response in planes that were not known for such. Well of course my first reaction was disgust that anyone would resort to such sleazy behavior, and naturally my next reaction was to ask myself how I too could do it!

On my Thustmaster HOTAS this would have been fairly simple since the throttle has an extra knob, but my CH Products USB Stick/Throttle/Pedals has no equivalent. Or so I initially thought. My solution was to map the unused "throttle" axis on the Joystick to the trim. It works like a charm and no more button presses to try to trim the plane.

I'm sure some of you have already thought of this and done it but for those who had not I hope this helps.

Jarg

Hi there,
    I was reading an earlier thread that mentioned how some players "cheated" by mapping the elevator trim to an axis which gave them potentially better high speed response in planes that were not known for such. Well of course my first reaction was disgust that anyone would resort to such sleazy behavior, and naturally my next reaction was to ask myself how I too could do it!

On my Thustmaster HOTAS this would have been fairly simple since the throttle has an extra knob, but my CH Products USB Stick/Throttle/Pedals has no equivalent. Or so I initially thought. My solution was to map the unused "throttle" axis on the Joystick to the trim. It works like a charm and no more button presses to try to trim the plane.

I'm sure some of you have already thought of this and done it but for those who had not I hope this helps.

Jarg

BuzzU's Avatar Senior Member
    I don't understand your post. First you call it "cheating" and "sleezy". Then you say how you're doing it.

Buzz
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

horseback's Avatar Senior Member
    It's only sleazy if the other guy's doing it and I can't. Clearly, he's overcome his disadvantage(and his moral outrage).

cheers

horseback

"Here's your new Mustangs, boys. You can learn to fly'em on the way to the target. Cheers!" -LTCOL Don Blakeslee, 4th FG CO, February 27th, 1944

Buzz, your response gave me a headache.

Jarg

How is it cheating or sleazy if it's possible within the normal confines of the game? Same goes for those who used to call the TrackIR a 'cheat' I guess all joystick users are 'cheats' in the eyes of those using a keyboard to play

Revvin wrote:
    "How is it cheating or sleazy if it's possible within the normal confines of the game?"

Back when this issued was first raised, Oleg finally responded by slowing down the trim rate. Anyone with any time in even small general aviation aircraft knows firsthand that trim does not give you any greater control capability. It won't make your plane pitch or roll any faster, it won't increase your turn rate. Some people are always on the prowl for whatever exploit they can find to give them an edge. Not long ago, some online competitors found out they could get someone off their six by disconnecting their modem, maneuvering the plane, then reconnecting. To the guy who was in pursuit, all of a sudden the guy you were nailing warped away. Cool heads ascribed it to lag, hot heads immediately cried cheat. Over time it became clear that it was happening predictably by the same people and Oleg has modified the connection sync timing to close that particular exploit. What I'm trying to say is, even though you could unplug your connection (or put your trim on a slider) doesn't mean it should be done. The next thing that usually comes is the "everybody's doing it" rationale that says "I've got to do it, too if I want to remain competitive". That's how steroids became so popular.

Jarg,

I'm glad I gave you a headache. Maybe after this statement you made, you deserve one. Your quote:

"Well of course my first reaction was disgust that anyone would resort to such sleazy behavior, and naturally my next reaction was to ask myself how I too could do it!"

Buzz

Buzz, truly you are the master of facetious irony. And since you probably don't realize it, that last remark was sarcastic.

You see, those who do understand this sort of thing, horseback for example, know I wasn't serious about the sleazy or the cheating remark. Cleary though it went boom and zoooming over your head. In the end, I was just suggesting a way to set up a trim axis on a CH Product USB joystick, and I couldn't care a less if it is used as an exploit or not.

Jarg

P.S. I can't believe I actually need to write this explanation! Who are these people?!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jarg1:
    Buzz, truly you are the master of facetious irony. And since you probably don't realize it, that last remark was sarcastic.

You see, those who do understand this sort of thing, horseback for example, know I wasn't serious about the sleazy or the cheating remark. Cleary though it went boom and zoooming over your head. In the end, I was just suggesting a way to set up a trim axis on a CH Product USB joystick, and I couldn't care a less if it is used as an exploit or not.

Jarg

P.S. I can't believe I actually need to write this explanation! Who are these people?!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps my true feelings of putting trim on a slider went over your head. It's an old old subject that i've argued to death. What you discovered is hardly new. RBJ used to put his trim on his throttle, and used the keyboard for throttle. Then he got a CH throttle, and it became easier for him. I have the whole CH setup, and my throttle slider is not used. I'm not into exploits.

You really thought you had me huh? Funny.

Buzz