Thread: No free-aiming | Forums

LightRey's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by twenty_glyphs Go to original post
    I don't have much of an opinion on this, but I'm fine with the decision. I think we should withhold a lot of judgment until we see the actual mechanic, because it doesn't sound like it will be identical to previous games. I always liked the Arkham games where you could manually aim, but the only things worth aiming at ended up being relatively sticky once your aim got near them. In games like Batman and Assassin's Creed, I personally don't want to spend too much of my time manually aiming.

Also in Batman, I believe once you locked onto a moving person the reticule could change to other parts of their body besides their heads, meaning there was still some skill required to keep the reticule aimed at their head so you could knock them out. I'd like to see that for AC3, where perhaps if you don't manage the reticule properly or your prey moves too much, the reticule will switch to other parts of their body where shooting them wouldn't kill them but simply alert everyone to your presence. I could also imagine someone moving out of range of your weapon, thus losing the reticule and requiring you to sneak closer.

For me, Assassin's Creed is fun because of the stalking of the prey before a relatively easy kill. If you don't properly approach them, your ranged weapons may become useless because other guards will start to attack you anyway, and your kill becomes more difficult. In Skyrim, hunting was fun, but the sneaking was a really basic and kind of lame mechanic of just crouching and walking slowly near animals while manually aiming at them. I would like to see the flipside of that in AC3, where the sneaking is a fully fleshed out mechanic forcing you to hunt animals from behind bushes or above them in trees, then having the final kill be a little more straightforward.
    I like this post.

JCearlyyears's Avatar Senior Member
    I hope that the bow is free aim. I think it would be good for it to be not free aim during combat, and free aim while hunting, whether it be human or not. And... I guess the same for the other stuff too(guns, any other ranged weapons.), so free aim while not in combat, auto-ish aim while in combat.
    off topic: Wow Lightrey, in the time it took me to get around 8 posts, you got 158... skills

xx-pyro's Avatar Senior Member
    Auto aim fits the combat of the series better. That being said combat is supposed to be a lot different so I can't judge that for AC3, but I can't imagine it being so radically changed that free-aim makes any sense. He's an Assassin and a native, he's been using a bow his entire life and really should be able to aim quick enough to make auto-aim plausible. Giving him free-aim (I'm thinking -> Skyrim type archery) would destroy the consistency of combat, because then his guns would need it too which makes the game a 3PS. I'm seeing the same people saying LOLIDONTWANTFPSWW2 GAME that I see saying GIVE US FREE AIM PLZ0RS. It confuses me.

JCearlyyears's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by xx-pyro Go to original post
    Auto aim fits the combat of the series better. That being said combat is supposed to be a lot different so I can't judge that for AC3, but I can't imagine it being so radically changed that free-aim makes any sense. He's an Assassin and a native, he's been using a bow his entire life and really should be able to aim quick enough to make auto-aim plausible. Giving him free-aim (I'm thinking -> Skyrim type archery) would destroy the consistency of combat, because then his guns would need it too which makes the game a 3PS. I'm seeing the same people saying LOLIDONTWANTFPSWW2 GAME that I see saying GIVE US FREE AIM PLZ0RS. It confuses me.
    I hope this isn't a reply to me...

//Uplay Overlay login for community forums