Using the Rocksmith cable for Linux home studio

So I have been working on setting up a home studio for recording and although I am not a huge fan/user of Linux, I do like all of the open source music software that is available. So I installed Linux on a spare machine (I've tested a few out and AVLinux is the best for recording) and purchased some additional hardware such as Behringer mixers, midi pedal controller etc. One of the things I bought was the Xenyx 302USB that I was going to use as an audio interface for my bass and guitar, but I couldn't figure out how to get the dand thing working in Linux. In my Google searching I found a reference to Rocksmith--http://www.timelordz.com/blog/2011/1...dio-recording/ and it turns out that because Ubisoft programmed the USB interface the right way, it can be used natively in Linux (and I would imagine other OSs). I plugged the thing in and to my amazement, it just works. I did some recording over the weekend and the Rocksmith cable worked flawlessly for my bass and guitar--no worries about impedance matching on my line in or mic input--it was great. I ran the guitar through guitarix or rakarrack, used the midi foot pedal controller to control the effects and recorded into Ardour. I laid down a rhythym guitar track, then a bass line, threw in a basic drum track using Hydrogen and then some lead guitar.

Just wanted to give props to Ubi and make people aware of a cheap method of setting up a recording rig.

Jeramy_117's Avatar Member
    how are the effects on those linux programs sound quality wise? ive heard of them but have yet to try them out and i have ubuntu on a partition which i havent used in forever

I think they are pretty good, but I am not much of an audiophile, so ymmv. I used to get some line noise when I connected the guitar up through the line in, but not with the RS cable. The other thing I would say is that a standard Linux build can be problematic because of latency issues. That's why I went with AVLinux because it is optimized for recording and seems to be much more stable when running JACK. I'm not sure how another Linux distro would react, but all of my gear use standard USB configurations, so I haven't had to load drivers for my mixer, the usb controller, or RS, it just works. GuitarIX is awesome because it emulates a tube amp and has a whole stack of effects, plus you can swap the tubes out to try different sounds. Rakarrack is simply effects, but I think there are 10-15 effect "pedals" and hundreds of preset effect combinations that are pretty cool.

Jeramy_117's Avatar Member
    nice ill have to give those a try. the rocksmith cable works pretty well in windows too and asio cuts down on the latency pretty well

GreenCigar's Avatar Banned
    i use the usb cable to play on my computer , i use amplitube 3 and guitar rig 5 , on windows 7

Originally Posted by finnderful Go to original post
    So I have been working on setting up a home studio for recording and although I am not a huge fan/user of Linux, I do like all of the open source music software that is available. So I installed Linux on a spare machine (I've tested a few out and AVLinux is the best for recording) and purchased some additional hardware such as Behringer mixers, midi pedal controller etc. One of the things I bought was the Xenyx 302USB that I was going to use as an audio interface for my bass and guitar, but I couldn't figure out how to get the dand thing working in Linux. In my Google searching I found a reference to Rocksmith--http://www.timelordz.com/blog/2011/1...dio-recording/ and it turns out that because Ubisoft programmed the USB interface the right way, it can be used natively in Linux (and I would imagine other OSs). I plugged the thing in and to my amazement, it just works. I did some recording over the weekend and the Rocksmith cable worked flawlessly for my bass and guitar--no worries about impedance matching on my line in or mic input--it was great. I ran the guitar through guitarix or rakarrack, used the midi foot pedal controller to control the effects and recorded into Ardour. I laid down a rhythym guitar track, then a bass line, threw in a basic drum track using Hydrogen and then some lead guitar.

Just wanted to give props to Ubi and make people aware of a cheap method of setting up a recording rig.
    Holy crap! Thanks for that link. I think I'm gonna set that up on my spare laptop.