Have you tried any compatibility mode ? If yes....which one(s) ?

Possible hint at next link...
    http://forums.steamgames.com/forums/...0&postcount=13

wstrohm's Avatar Senior Member
    nanoukmetal,

Yes, we have tried Windows 98/ME compatibility, which is recommended in the ReadMe file for both MME and Riven, and also we have tried Windows 95 compatibility, but neither changes anything.

Did you also check the box "play in 256 colors" ?

When I played RealMyst from GOG/Good Old Games on my Windows 7 desktop, I had to play in 256 colors/compatibility mode to see the animations like in the Myst link book and the imager animation re: Atrus' message to Catherine, in the blue and red books of the two brothers, as examples.

Another Failed Try

Originally Posted by nanoukmetal Go to original post
    Did you also check the box "play in 256 colors" ?

When I played RealMyst from GOG/Good Old Games on my Windows 7 desktop, I had to play in 256 colors/compatibility mode to see the animations like in the Myst link book and the imager animation re: Atrus' message to Catherine, in the blue and red books of the two brothers, as examples.
    We have now. No difference. Also checked "Disable visual themes," but no joy there either. No movies...

I am out of ideas... and words

I, now, can understand why your are annoyed. One of my neighbors has a a box version of the 10th anniversary Myst games and last night we tried to install Myst MME on my windows 7 desktop. No more luck that you had. Politely said,... I really do not like win.7

The computer warned us that there was a problem with Myst and tried to adjust a few things but at the end, it did refuse us to even retry more reinstallations and told us to use the web and search for a fix.

Windows 7 is a "control freak" type software for "megalomaniacs". It is a good thing I kept me old desktop with Windows XP.

And considering the # of views for you thread it seems that a big lot of people are also looking for a fix.

P.S.
    Even Cyan help desk refuses to help people who use Windows 7.

If you are having trouble getting Myst Masterpiece Edition to run and you are not using Windows 7, please submit a ticket at our support site located at http://support.cyanworlds.com Please be sure to include an updated DXDIAG when you log a ticket (or else we will just have to ask you for one.)

Their post at this link...
    http://forums.steamgames.com/forums/...52&postcount=9

Edit # 2:
    This morning, I have tried the windows 7 troubleshooter with no luck. It felt like I was given the "runaround" treatment.

I have rechecked the display and sound drivers and could not find any better than what I have. (not an easy task for a none pc expert)

The only thing I have not tried yet is to install Myst MME on my desktop. (me remember Kandara with this/her solution for Uru Complete Chronicles)(But Windows 7 is still not letting me try a reinstallation)

Just to be certain we're all on the same page, the following:

In general,
    1. Install MME to your C: drive.
    -- a. Be certain that MME saves its game progress files to your C: drive.
    -- b. If you have a very small C: that's reserved for system files only, install MME to D:. Be certain that MME saves its game progress files to D:.
    -- c. Do NOT install the game to an external drive, either USB or E-SATA.
    2. Start MME from a fresh boot.
    -- a. Reboot, log into Windows with **full Administrator privileges** (NOT into a Limited User or Power User account), and close all open applications.
    -- b. Disable all anti-virus/spyware/adware/pop-up programs running in the background.
    ----- 1. Do NOT forget to re-enable your anti-virus/spyware/adware/pop-up programs after finished playing MME.
    -- c. If you have only a software firewall, do NOT disable it.
    -- d. Do NOT run any other programs before starting MME.
    3. Never boot up with a CD or DVD in any disc drive.
    4. If the MME disc autostarts when inserted into the drive, cancel back to the Desktop.
    5. Always start MME with the Desktop shortcut/start icon, NOT from the DVD menu.

Always start MME by doing steps 2 through 5, above.

With that in mind, for Win 7:

1. Run Myst as an Administrator. Right-click the Desktop Myst icon or shortcut, then click on Run as administrator. For details, see How do I run an application once with a full administrator access token?.

2. Ensure that your permissions are set correctly. Use Windows Explorer to navigate to the MME Program Files folder (e.g., C:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\Myst Masterpiece Edition\).
    -- a. Right click on the MME folder (e.g., \Myst Masterpiece Edition) > Properties > Security tab.
    -- b. Click on Edit, and select the Users group.
    -- c. Under Permissions for Users and in the Allow column, select Full Control by clicking on the box to put a check in it.
    -- d. Click on Apply > OK.
    -- e. Reboot, and start MME from a fresh boot as per steps 2 through 5 under "in general", above.

3. If you have Win 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate, install and run Myst in Windows XP Mode. It isn't all that difficult if you carefully follow the directions. For details, see:
    -- Introducing Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC
    -- Download and Install Windows XP Mode

4. Uninstall Myst, then use the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter to re-install the game.
    -- a. First, uninstall Myst using Control Panel's Add or Remove Programs utility. (See Uninstall or change a program for details.)
    ----- 1. If you can't find the Add or Remove Programs utility, see Turn Windows features on or off.
    -- b. When uninstallation is complete, reboot, and re-install Myst to your C: drive using the Program Compatibility troubleshooter. See Make older programs run in this version of Windows, "If you cannot install a program, insert the installation disc for the program and, using the troubleshooter...."
    -- c. When re-installation is complete, reboot, and start Myst by doing "in general" steps 2 through 5, above.
    -- d. If Myst doesn't start or play properly, again run the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter.
    ----- 1. Try *all* of the modes under "Which version of Windows did this program work on before?"
    ----- 2. Or make compatibility setting changes manually.

No Joy Using Program Compatibility Troubleshooting Feature of Windows 7

Heimdall G,

We attempted to use the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter as directed above. There were problems identifying the issue we are having, since it is not listed as a choice. However, after experimenting with several different approaches, i.e. trying Windows 98/ME compatibility (per the MME Read Me document) and Windows 95 (based on earlier recommendations), we still have the same problem. The game opens during Program Compatibility troubleshooting at the Myst book lying static, which is the first scene after the intro movie that should have played. Nothing has changed that so far.

This problem acts like a QuickTime problem, but we have v 6.52 installed, which works fine under Windows XP on our desktop. Is there some other well-hidden Windows setup that might free QT to work on the W7 laptop?

(P.S. Although I have selected "instant e-mail notification" for this thread, it has never worked for me. I have to periodically check this website for the latest replies.)

Easy things first.

The "instant e-mail notification" may not be working because your Uplay account Email address isn't correct and/or you haven't set the "Subscription, Subscribe to this thread and notify me of changes:" option properly.

First:
    -- a. At the bottom of your last post in this thread, click on Edit Post > Go Advanced.
    -- b. Scroll down to "Subscription", and:
    ----- 1. Ensure that the "Subscribe to this thread and notify me of changes:" box has a checkmark in it.
    ----- 2. The frequency of notifications type is correctly selected. I use "Instantly, using email".
    -- c. Click on the Save Changes box.

Then:
    -- a. At the top of the page, click on Settings.
    -- b. Scroll down to "My Ubisoft Settings" (left-hand side of page), click on "Edit Your Uplay Account", and log in. (Yeah, yeah, it's a PITA, but it's also a good security measure!)
    -- c. Ensure that your Email address is correct.
    ----- 1. Ensure that ALL of the remaining options are correct.
    -- d. Click on Update at the bottom of the page.

Heimdall G,

Thank you for your response. All my "settings" both for this thread and for my UbiSoft Uplay account are (and have been) to receive instant e-mail notification of replies to subscribed threads.

I am attempting to find a reference on another website to the particular QuickTime files needed to enable movies on MME and Riven. Apparently the files included in the installation of QT version 6.5.2 (which we are using) do not include something critical to MME and Riven operation. I will report back if I can identify those files. I now have QT 4.1.2 downloaded and will have a look at the enclosed files.

[Edit: Final Solution Found... Installed QuickTime 4.0 on the HP Pavilion DV-6 and now Myst Masterpiece and Riven play with all movies working normally!]

Hey, I'm glad you solved the problem!

By any chance, did you determine which QuickTime files from which QT versions are critical to MME and Riven operation?

This should allow installing the appropriate QT version (4.0/4.12, maybe?), transferring the required files to the MME/Riven Program Files folders, uninstalling the older QT version, and finally installing the latest QT version.

This would be a good thing, because some programs play nicely only with the most current versions of QT.