Hi, I have a quick question:

Do the "old" (unmodded) campaigns generally work if I try to run them on 4.09 + UP2.01?

Or am I better off running them on unmodded version of the game?

Do the "old" (unmodded) campaigns generally work if I try to run them on 4.09 + UP2.01?

Or am I better off running them on unmodded version of the game?

mortoma's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Odie1974:

Or am I better off running them on unmodded version of the game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>There should not be any difference at all. Old campaigns rune fine, mod or not.

They should run without any problems, but they will look and sound better.

surely unmodded campaigns won't look or sound any different because the mods won't apply to them will they? or have I got that wrong?

JSG72's Avatar Senior Member
    They certainly do.

having played this Sim for nigh on 9yrs. I have only now been downloading and playing "Campaigns".

All work, beautifully.

Jeez! So much to choose from.

Zeus-cat's Avatar Senior Member
    There are two issues I can think of.

1) Planes that were AI at the time the campaign was created may now be flyable. If they are in your squadron you may end up in one of these planes that the campaign creater never intended you to be in. So your mission may be to go torpedo a battleship and you are flying a Hurricane. If this happens, you can fix it by opening the mission in the FMB and selecting AI only for the planes that are in your squadron that you should not fly.

2) AI behavior has been tweaked throughout the development of the sim. Some planes may not behave the way they did when the campaign was created. There is nothing you can do about that, but the effects should be minor.

JSG72's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zeus-cat:
    There are two issues I can think of.

1) Planes that were AI at the time the campaign was created may now be flyable. If they are in your squadron you may end up in one of these planes that the campaign creater never intended you to be in. So your mission may be to go torpedo a battleship and you are flying a Hurricane. If this happens, you can fix it by opening the mission in the FMB and selecting AI only for the planes that are in your squadron that you should not fly.

2) AI behavior has been tweaked throughout the development of the sim. Some planes may not behave the way they did when the campaign was created. There is nothing you can do about that, but the effects should be minor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

TBH. I think that you would have had to have deleted files in order for your first point to occur.If you haven't got the plane the campaign, simply won't load. And probably not your Game.
    Campaign creators will have included the plane you should be flying in. Along with any "skins" applicable.
    You will be in the right plane. If you have all correct settings/Maps available.

Zeus-cat's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">TBH. I think that you would have had to have deleted files in order for your first point to occur.If you haven't got the plane the campaign, simply won't load. And probably not your Game.
    Campaign creators will have included the plane you should be flying in. Along with any "skins" applicable.
    You will be in the right plane. If you have all correct settings/Maps available. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This has happened to me and I did not have deleted files. I don't think you undertand what I am saying.

In a campaign, you are assigned an aircraft in your squadron based on your rank. If you are the lowest rank you will be in aircraft #4 of flight #4 of the squadron the campaign creator has selected for the player flyable aircraft (or the lowest available aircraft in that squadron). You are NOT assigned the aircraft the campaign creator has selected as player flyable. This is confusing to campaign creators, but this is what Oleg built into the campaign system. It drove me nuts when I made my first campaign years ago, but I finally figured out the whole system.

My point was that your rank determines which aircraft you get in your squadron. It is possible that the campaign creator put aircraft in your squadron that were not playable by humans when he/she created the campaign. These planes may now be flyable by humans and you could end up in one of them and be programmed for an entirely different mission than the plane you are supposed to fly.

What Zeus Cat said happened to me in the "hurricane Season" campaign which was written in unmodded IL2. when I tried to run it in a modded version instead of beginning the first mission in a hurricane I was in a blenheim! It was quite disorientating I can tell you!
    So I doubt you wouldn't have issues. Personally I would recommend having modded and unmodded installations of IL2 on your pc.