Hello all, I've not played any simulators in years, but would really like to get back into a good one. I'd really like a sim that has good online game play support (some thing like Battlefield 2 has). I've read the reviews on the game, and they sound great...but how's the online game play?

Can you just logon to a server and find games to join pretty much all the time? Or do you really need to find a squadron to join and then only play when they do as a group? Does the online game keep track of your stats, give out medals/awards and stuff?

If this turns out to be the game I want to get in to, what should I pick up to get started? Which version of it and what joysticks and controllers does it support well?

I'll be starting out from scratch in the sim gaming again, so I'd like to do it right the first time.

Thanks for any help or suggestions,

Keith

Hello all, I've not played any simulators in years, but would really like to get back into a good one. I'd really like a sim that has good online game play support (some thing like Battlefield 2 has). I've read the reviews on the game, and they sound great...but how's the online game play?

Can you just logon to a server and find games to join pretty much all the time? Or do you really need to find a squadron to join and then only play when they do as a group? Does the online game keep track of your stats, give out medals/awards and stuff?

If this turns out to be the game I want to get in to, what should I pick up to get started? Which version of it and what joysticks and controllers does it support well?

I'll be starting out from scratch in the sim gaming again, so I'd like to do it right the first time.

Thanks for any help or suggestions,

Keith

Well, umm.. where to begin..

Spend a few hours and browse this and the other subforums for IL2FB/1946 related topics, to try to get a feel of what it is all about.

Online play is pretty decent.

There are private run servers on Hyperlobby catering to the "wonder woman view" noob, right up to the hard core, "almost as real as taking a 50 cal slug in the head" sim vet.. about 300 or so persons on hyperlobby at any one time. More on weekends/evenings. UBI's game lobby for IL2FB/1946 cough*sucks*cough in comparison, don't go there.

As far as compatability with controllers, all flight related controllers are generally supportable/configurable. Indeed, getting this sim puts you on a slippery slope to the poor house if you want to set up fully for the sim experience.

Not going to find too many detracters of the sim on this forum, mind you.. but keep in mind, it's on a twilight run of sorts in terms of development - bigger and better is coming down the pipe from Maddox and co., but this sim still has plenty of life in the old girl yet - just keep in mind - it's fully 5 years old now, so certain minor aspects are dated or limited, compared to what present computing power can now support.

Good luck.

Tully__'s Avatar Global Moderator
    Which version is easy: IL2 Sturmovik 1946 (DVD). It contains the entire game series.
    Be aware though that development of this game engine is in its last stages and that late this year or early next year there will be a new sim from the same developer that uses and entirely new game engine. That sim will not be backward compatible with any part of this game series.

For controllers, spend at least US$40, go for Saitek Cyborg Evo / AV8R / X52, CH Products gear (any), Thrustmaster Fox II Pro / Topgun Afterburner. I'd recommend the Saitek gear if budget is a concern, the CH gear if you have no concern about price. In the long term, CH will probably work out cheaper if you plan to remain in simming for a long period as it lasts very well for most people.

Servers for this game are pretty much all run by the community, not the publisher so your experience will vary depending on server. There are enough full time servers to satisfy most people and most of them have some sort of statistics monitoring set up on their own web page, but there is no universal stats page. Unlike the commercial MMOG's, the universe is not persistent, in most cases you will be flying a series of discrete scenarios designed for use on the server you're currently flying.

There are two principal modes of online play, "Dogfight" and "Cooperative".

Dogfight (DF) is nominally perpetual, however as mentioned above most of the full time servers load a new scenario periodically to give some more diversity and to provide a more realistic mission based feel. Most online flying is in this mode. In DF you can join a running server anytime so you'll need to arrange with other player in the game or join with friend if you want to fly as an organised fighting unit. Again your experience in this regard will vary from server to server. Should you get killed you can immediately select a new aicraft (with limits on some server that will force a timeout after several deaths to give others the oppurtunity to join the action). Connections are limited by the game to 128 or by the server host to rather a lot less. Most servers find that about 50 is the practical limit for good game play and set their connection limit accordingly.
    There are two popular third party server management programs in use that allow the operators of this type of server to provide some more realistic goals monitoring and target assignment, but it still relies on the players to organise group efforts rather than just being a random bunch of independant flyers.

Cooperative mode more closely mimics real life missions in that the server sets up in one of the game lobbies and waits for enough players to make up a reasonable mission crew, then launches all players at once. In this mode you'll get a briefing map with waypoints and assigned targets and once everyone has read the briefing you'll all start the mission together. Once you die you can't respawn, though you can stay and watch the action (which can be very entertaining if External Views are permmitted by the server and very boring if not) or return to the lobby to wait for the next cooperative mission to launch. This mode is more time consuming but to some extent is less prone to the impatient "lone wolf" type of flying.

To connect online the best options for this game are two third party game lobbies, HyperLobby or AllSeeingEye. Ubisoft run a game lobby too but it doesn't seem to support later versions of the game series very well. The Forgotten Battles room at hyperlobby (where all the 1946 version servers are found) has hundreds of flyers most of the time an even at its quietest times (middle of the euro/US night midweek) usually has over 100 pilots online. At busy times the numbers exceed 1000 on a reasonably regular basis. This does not include numbers at AllSeeingEye or the few that still persist at Ubi's lobby.

Thanks for the info guys. It looks like the online play is a lot like Day of Defeat (Halflife mod) was with "mission" maps and stuff.

I don't mind that the game might be coming to an end towards the end of the year...still lots of game time left. One thing I've not been able to tell for sure yet, has '46 been released in the US yet?

Xiolablu3's Avatar Senior Member
    You should definitely get this game mate. Theres always some games populated online, with 300-1000 people online at any one time.

I love online play, some great servers out there.

I think IL2 has some of the best online play over any game I have played. Its kept me interested for over 5 years. This sim is the best supported game I have ever played. Far beyond any EA title that is for sure.

download the hyperlobby client and your set, and excellent game with many online servers running all the time. Also a very helpful community to help you with any problems you may have.

Zeus-cat's Avatar Senior Member
    The 1946 DVD version of the game is generally not available in stores and may not be for an unknown period of time. It is available from gogamer.com (where I got mine) and some European websites.

Xiolablu3's Avatar Senior Member
    I think some in the US were saying its at Walmart?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►