ytareh's Avatar Senior Member
    Right I have assigned trim to some of my keyboard "arrow" keys and I think I kinda get it .But just a few of questions/thoughts.Maybe you could put me right if theyre incorrect.1about how many 'taps' on the keys do you need to get her 'straight and level'?2 Does this vary greatly from plane to plane?3 There seems to be a lot more trim generally needed in the vertical plane ("Elevator" trim?) and its nearly always needed to get the plane to 'nose down'("negative"trim?)4The ailerons seem to need the next biggest amount of trim (to counteract prop torque?)5Rudder trim is smallest but can be critical for aiming.Thanks

Right I have assigned trim to some of my keyboard "arrow" keys and I think I kinda get it .But just a few of questions/thoughts.Maybe you could put me right if theyre incorrect.1about how many 'taps' on the keys do you need to get her 'straight and level'?2 Does this vary greatly from plane to plane?3 There seems to be a lot more trim generally needed in the vertical plane ("Elevator" trim?) and its nearly always needed to get the plane to 'nose down'("negative"trim?)4The ailerons seem to need the next biggest amount of trim (to counteract prop torque?)5Rudder trim is smallest but can be critical for aiming.Thanks

depends all an planetype and its speed (PFm4.01)

I agree with the man. It would be good that on some place one could find how many "taps" it should make for certain cruise speed on alt for his favourite airplane. That would be good point to start learning about these things.

Tully__'s Avatar Global Moderator
    The default trim is usually pretty close to right for "cruising speed" for that aircraft, but most players fly considerably faster than cruise. Consequently most find it necessary to add nose down trim to fly level.

I can't recommend a particular number of taps for any aircraft as the amount of trim applied isn't determined by taps. Trim applied depends on cumulative "key down" time. If you make five "long" taps you'll get much more trim than for five "short" taps. The result is, it depends on the user how many taps are required for a particular effect.

Tully is that means that if I continually hold the "trim up" key that my aircraft will be trimmed up untill reach max. value? Or it contains certain value per tap?

I have never really bothered myself too much with trim thing. Also ClnlSandersLite has corrected me when I used the term "cruise speed"... he said there is economical cruise, high speed cruise... etc. So I refer to "certain cruise speed" from now on.

Ah man!

I saw the thread title and thought I was getting a free haircut.

Fritz

Yep, if you hold down your trim key the trim wheel moves at max speed until it hits the lock. It appears to obey the repeat delay set in your keyboard drivers, though.

It actually moves exactly the same speed when you hold down the key as it does when you move a slider. There's no speed advantages to trim-on-a-slider. At least, not any more. I don't know about before.

Well you live and learn!I thought there was a tap/click/notch style to keyboard trim not a slider effect....Thanks!The gear on the older planes now(I16/F4F)they really are tap keys arent they?

I can not swear since I was never really get myself into trim thing, but seems that trim key was required to be "tapped" before. It is the very first news to me that you actually can trim the aircraft by holding the trim key down for certain ammount of time... so it is possible to reach max. trim value by holding the key for some time after all.