The .50 cal is really a engine, control , gauge ext knockout weapon. so what I am saying is I WW2 a pilot would jump if his oil presser increased. but in the game a pilot won't jump if his engine is on fire. I just shot down 4 He-111 because engine lite up but if that was any of us we would Pray it burn out.

P.s I know this isn't well written but I had Mow a lot af lawns today And I an tired.

M4sherman14

The .50 cal is really a engine, control , gauge ext knockout weapon. so what I am saying is I WW2 a pilot would jump if his oil presser increased. but in the game a pilot won't jump if his engine is on fire. I just shot down 4 He-111 because engine lite up but if that was any of us we would Pray it burn out.

P.s I know this isn't well written but I had Mow a lot af lawns today And I an tired.

M4sherman14

stansdds's Avatar Senior Member
    Actually a pilot might not jump if his oil pressure dropped. Many USN/USMC pilots would turn back toward friendly lines and fly it as long as it would fly. As for the 50 caliber, it is not a cannon, it does not fire explosive shells. The 50 caliber rounds most used in WW II were ball (cupro-nickel jacketed lead), armor piercing, and tracer/incindiary. If you set your convergence to a reasonable distance in the sim (no more than 300 meters) and only fire at that distance or closer, you will find that the 50 caliber does just what it was designed to do, punch holes through metal. I have sawed the wings off of Zekes with the Corsair and I have exploded fuel tanks and engines as well, and every time I did it I was firing from my convergence distance or closer.

DKoor's Avatar Senior Member
    M4Sherman4 you are right.
    .50cal is undermodeled in the game.......... thing is MGs get the bad end of the IL2 DM............
    Structure pwning weapons excel in this game.

The .50 caliber is a piss-poor peashooter... If you don't use them right. Get in close enough for the Tracer/AP/Incindiery to be effective, and let the guns take care of the rest.

PBNA-Boosher's Avatar Senior Member
    The .50's are fine. Generally they're my main weapon unless I'm flying Yaks. Learn to shoot with them, then come back and tell us your opinion. You may think you're a good shot, and while I don't want to impede on your bubble, you've got to learn to fire at convergence and you've got to learn to lead your target properly. The K-14 is an excellent training tool for this.

.50 call weak? uhm i must admit i got the same thought for months and months...was always using big guns to take enemy down...but since some weeks im learning to fly the Jug. I found a good joystick setting ( thx to those guys who helped me in this ), set the convergence at 200m..and...WOW!
    those 8 machine guns are incredibly powerfull! Well, you need more practice than with 20mm cannons as you must aim more precise parts of the plane...but when you got the trick..i must admit that i fell more proud of myself when i shoot down a plane ^^

Yea yall are probably right. the .50 was one of the most powerful machineguns of the game. and my biggest problem is I use a ST290 instead of A real stick and I suck big time. sorry for wasting you time