Hey just looking for a bit of advice with regards to staying with your flight.

No matter how hard I try I never seem to be able to takeoff and keep up with my flight/wingman.

If I takeoff after Ground Control permission is granted i always seem to be way back from flight and then struggle to catch up!They always seem to be able to climb at a much higher rate than I can achieve?

I think I have pretty good understanding of CEM and how to get the most out of my engine etc (could be wrong).

But can anyone give me advice/tips on how to:

1) keep up in first place(takeoff closer to formation) - Any takeoff timings recomended Prop/throttle settings for takeoff? -Currently I generally use 100% Prop / Thottle. Hign RPM but only for intial takeoff.

2) How to catch up (Maximise Speed)- I noramlly use about 75$ throttle / and around 60% prop to keep my RPM around 25 (Spitfire)- is this correct /efficent?

3) climb efficently - I either shallow climb or alternate between shallow dives for speed followed by moderate climbs and repeat till at desired height.

Many thanks in advance

Hey just looking for a bit of advice with regards to staying with your flight.

No matter how hard I try I never seem to be able to takeoff and keep up with my flight/wingman.

If I takeoff after Ground Control permission is granted i always seem to be way back from flight and then struggle to catch up!They always seem to be able to climb at a much higher rate than I can achieve?

I think I have pretty good understanding of CEM and how to get the most out of my engine etc (could be wrong).

But can anyone give me advice/tips on how to:

1) keep up in first place(takeoff closer to formation) - Any takeoff timings recomended Prop/throttle settings for takeoff? -Currently I generally use 100% Prop / Thottle. Hign RPM but only for intial takeoff.

2) How to catch up (Maximise Speed)- I noramlly use about 75$ throttle / and around 60% prop to keep my RPM around 25 (Spitfire)- is this correct /efficent?

3) climb efficently - I either shallow climb or alternate between shallow dives for speed followed by moderate climbs and repeat till at desired height.

Many thanks in advance

hmmm I thought it was RAD open? (well at least according to some pre flight list i've read). Also I have double checked and I am correct in thinking that RPM should be 30000 with 100% thottle and WEP on for maximum takeoff (At least in the Spit). I later reduce the prop/thorttle for 2600 rpm for maximum sustainable speed.

What am I doing wrong? Maybe as you say its impossible to actually fly the same line as the AI and keep up ??

Any other thoughts on this - it's very frustatrating

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by funkster319:
    hmmm I thought it was RAD open? (well at least according to some pre flight list i've read). Also I have double checked and I am correct in thinking that RPM should be 30000 with 100% thottle and WEP on for maximum takeoff (At least in the Spit). I later reduce the prop/thorttle for 2600 rpm for maximum sustainable speed.

What am I doing wrong? Maybe as you say its impossible to actually fly the same line as the AI and keep up ??

Any other thoughts on this - it's very frustatrating </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps trim up a little? I sometimes start with RAd close, as that reduces drag. No flaps on most planes. Try to mess with rudder too much as that also causes drag.

Truth is, I can`t tell all the parameters except that i can now easily fly and keep up with the AI, even with the I16. All I can say is keep at it, experience slowly teaches, even unconscously...

The AI has it right first time, but it`s not impossible to catch them up and even pass them, eventually, then you realise Oleg really doesn`t have the AI doing stuff a human can`t do. It`s just practise.

K_Freddie's Avatar Senior Member
    Besides trimming, do a bit of engine management..

Here's wot ah do, and get a ME109E to run at approx 450Kph at sea level.
    Throttle back to 60%, Prop pitch to 60%, and radiator on auto or '2'.

In a climb you raise the settings a bit, and play with your mixture.
    Don't forget to change super-charger (if fitted) settings as you get to higher alts.

When playing with your engine, watch the ATA and Rev dials, you want to get max ATA for a certain Rev and pitch.

Another thing, is not to match the AI climb rate but aim for a 'target' slightly below those a/c - this way you'll find yourself catching up.

You'll work it out..

Yeah I've got the hang of the take off and normally do all the things you say - except I normally open rad. I do trim up with a little on elevator trim to keep tail down a bit and the obvious rudder trim to counter torque effects. As soon as i'm up and about I CLEAN OFF the plane and reset trim accordingly.

I think were i was going wrong was basically waiting for tower clearance and not just following IMEDIATELY after the plane in front (literally start moving as they do). So all in all take off good now - However I still find the AI pulling climbs which i find impossible but my CEM is improving all the time so as you say I guess it just takes a little more practise to become uber efficent or AI like lol !

All good and the post has just reaffirmed that i'm not missing anything except a bit more practise and learning the quirks of the SIM.

Cheers guys

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When playing with your engine, watch the ATA and Rev dials, you want to get max ATA for a certain Rev and pitch </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure what you mean ? REV = RPM? ATA= Air Speed Indicator?

I always ensure that my RPM is efficent at what ever speed i'm doing and only really push it hard in combat - then interperse with "cool down" periods to avoid Eng Overheat! Works good

If you use DCG instead of DGEN, you can set it to generate some extra waypoints around the base so that the formation can form-up. Which I think is more realistic than taking-off and rushing to the targets without waiting for the other planes ...

mortoma's Avatar Senior Member
    Personally, I never use prop pitch in this game much. And for good reason, it doesn't do much except save gas. If you want the fullest power and speed in most airplanes in this sim and at most altitudes, just leave PP alone!! I always keep up with AI, I just climb at an efficient speed for whatever plane I'm flying. Just don't try to climb too fast, too soon. Many people try to climb too aggressively to catch up with AI and get their "climb angle" too steep. More important to climb in a more shallow and speedier attitude. In other words, go more for speed than climb and you'll do just fine. There are a few planes ( in the Dgen campaign settings ) that have their cruise speed set to maximum. Those planes are hard to keep up with. Some of the Spitfires and the FM2 Wildcat come to mind. I edited the scripts in Dgen to slow them down a bit. But by far most planes are super easy to keep up with if you are talking AI pilots. I leave PP and throttle full until I overheat, then back off throttle and open up cowl flaps. By that time I am usually sufficiently close to my AI companions to get in formation with them. PP never helped me that much and if I can keep up not using it, that should tell you something.

mortoma's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by okb001:
    If you use DCG instead of DGEN, you can set it to generate some extra waypoints around the base so that the formation can form-up. Which I think is more realistic than taking-off and rushing to the targets without waiting for the other planes ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That is indeed more realistic and how they did it in RL usually. But still even in Dgen I can easily catch up to the AI in the vast majority of planes.