A fictional story about what might have happened if the D-Day Invasion had failed.

Written by Stephen Abbott,

If we would have failed on Omaha Beach and on the other beaches on the 6th of June in 1944, the struggle for Europe would have been a struggle between Hitler and Stalin, and we would have been out of it."

link: http://users.metro2000.net/~stabbott/AH1944b.htm

A fictional story about what might have happened if the D-Day Invasion had failed.

Written by Stephen Abbott,

If we would have failed on Omaha Beach and on the other beaches on the 6th of June in 1944, the struggle for Europe would have been a struggle between Hitler and Stalin, and we would have been out of it."

link: http://users.metro2000.net/~stabbott/AH1944b.htm

tigertalon's Avatar Senior Member
    Nice read, thnx. Scarry...

I agree that it would be Very Scary outcome to WW2. Maybe not quite the way the Author writes it. But still with a different and possible Sad ending to the war.

I think we should all be happy with the outcome as it is. I shudder to think of the million's of other possibilities that could have happened, with D-Day failing, Stalin the new Hitler etc.

ROFL: Impossible!
    In 1944 Germany had enough troops to conquer Moscow? Never! Germany was already beaten. They hadnâ´t the man power to fight even a single front war. Do you remember kids and grandpas? No well trained new pilots. The best planes(Me 262) are useless with noobs.
    DOn`t forget the nuclear bomb.
    The british people never capitulate!
    After BOB Germany was no real threat.
    No free nation would allow, that concentration camps exists.
    I think the author made a strange scenario. He forgot many aspects.

Thank god, that Germany lost the war!

I am german, sorry for misspelling.

Arcadeace's Avatar Senior Member
    There are too many what-ifs for me

Actually I've always thought if the Allies were stopped on the first assault wave we would've regrouped, with much increased sea and air bombardment, and gone at it again, and again if necessary. We had amassed too much men, weaponry and supplies to call it quits. And I can't imagine the Germans sending thousands of ships and planes to their graves even if they knew where we were coming.

But there's no question fate was on our side. If a number of events occured in which Germany played it smarter, this could be a different world now.

The Germans doomed themselves to failure when they decided to attack Russia. Some people think Russia would've attacked Germany first if Hitler hadn't gone ahead and initiated the fight. They might be right. Today it is chiefly a matter of concern to the 'what-if' day dreamers.

Years ago I read a neat murder mystery novel, The Fatherland by Robert Harris. It suggests that the Germans might have won if Hitler had been incapacitated by a severe injury in 1942. This, according to Harris' book, would've allowed OKW to run the war the 'proper' way while their inept "no retreat at any cost" leader was doped up in a hospital bed.

It isn't a typical fluffy-summer-reading murder mystery novel. Harris put a lot of effort into conjecturing what a post-war victorious Germany might be like for the average Reich citizen.

Flak

tigertalon's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by flakwagen:
    The Germans doomed themselves to failure when they decided to attack Russia. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Before they defeated Great Britain and after Yugoslavia turned back on him (thus delaying him for more than a month), agreed.

Anyway, if Germans won BOB (and they would if they used drop tanks on 109Es IMO), and if Yugoslavia stayed progerman, Hitler would most likely defeat Russia - he would have been fighting only one front, plus he would start in the middle of May, not June 22, so having more than one month more than what he actualy had till autumn mud and winter cold.

I know many ifs again...

Alternate histories are always an interesting read, this is no exception.

I think the author makes a couple of big assumptions though.
    I agree with Arcadeace - I don't think the Western Allies would of quit so easily, plus the Allied bomber offensive would of continued to be a major factor imo.

Also, I can't believe Hitler could of beaten the Soviet Union as he decribes, even in a single front war.

By the way, Flakwagen....I've read 'Fatherland' by Robert Harris. Agree it's an excellent book, portrays a very 'realistic' vision of what it might of been like.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►