Hi guys,

The IL-2 series has been very interesting, very enjoyable, very time consuming, and very unhealthy for a lot of us.

Late last year I realized that due to this forum and the game, not only my knowledge of history and WW2 planes had grown but I had also grown to 115kg/253lbs. Although I am 1.825m/6ft, large framed, that's a little too much weight for me.

I decided to do a little research on fat reduction. What I found was that there are a million diets to choose from but very few actually seemed logical.

I ended up putting my own plan together based on fact and logic and came up with something that worked very well. In less than 3 months I lost 20kg/44lbs, had more energy, and even slept better, all with minimal to no exercise.

I was able to wear clothes I hadn't worn since I was in my early 20's. BTW, I am 40 now. In the last 6 months I've forgotten the diet and done no exercise and therefore, am starting to broaden horizontally.

So, I've decided to get back on my plan but more seriously than before. I was also thinking that we, the community, have a lot more in common that just this sim, but related to the time we afford this sim. I willing to bet a large(pardon the pun)group os us need to improve our health.

The first step to losing fat is understanding the process and how we are effected by our foods.

I do believe this could be a useful and interesting thread.

Who's in the "IL-2 Better-Health" support group?

Fritz

Hi guys,

The IL-2 series has been very interesting, very enjoyable, very time consuming, and very unhealthy for a lot of us.

Late last year I realized that due to this forum and the game, not only my knowledge of history and WW2 planes had grown but I had also grown to 115kg/253lbs. Although I am 1.825m/6ft, large framed, that's a little too much weight for me.

I decided to do a little research on fat reduction. What I found was that there are a million diets to choose from but very few actually seemed logical.

I ended up putting my own plan together based on fact and logic and came up with something that worked very well. In less than 3 months I lost 20kg/44lbs, had more energy, and even slept better, all with minimal to no exercise.

I was able to wear clothes I hadn't worn since I was in my early 20's. BTW, I am 40 now. In the last 6 months I've forgotten the diet and done no exercise and therefore, am starting to broaden horizontally.

So, I've decided to get back on my plan but more seriously than before. I was also thinking that we, the community, have a lot more in common that just this sim, but related to the time we afford this sim. I willing to bet a large(pardon the pun)group os us need to improve our health.

The first step to losing fat is understanding the process and how we are effected by our foods.

I do believe this could be a useful and interesting thread.

Who's in the "IL-2 Better-Health" support group?

Fritz

I'm starting to get fat too. I eat way too much bread. Help me.

Haigotron's Avatar Senior Member
    I totally agree, although i exercise, i sometimes feel guilty after a few hours or playing il2 (or any game) sitting at the comp

Eat this!

Walk and ride a bike.

I lost a pound a day doing this a few years ago, for a total of 57 pounds. It worked like a charm for me and the Mrs.

http://www.idiet4u.com/diets/sacredheart.html

One thing I find interesting is that with all the available info out there, individually we know so little about fat and how and why it's stored.

I used to think it was strange that my stomach was big but the fat between my abs and skin was not so thick. I had a theory but it wasn't until I had my appendix removed that I was able to confirm.

After my surgery, I questioned the surgeon on what he had seen in side me. As I suspected, underneath my abs and surrounding my organs was a lot of fat. This explained why my stomach was so big.

What is the importance of this?

Well, it helps the mental aspect of fat loss. Many people start and soon give up their diets. I tried to do research into this but found little or nothing. What I did realize, is that it was mental. Giving up on dieting and exercise, in my opion, is all about expectations and knowledge, or lack of.

Diet manuals tend to use words such as "quick", "fast", "in no time". This is marketing and nothing more. It was these words that got you hooked. I lost 20kgs/44lbs in less than three months, without a hunger strike or exercise, and that's extremely fast.

Many people set their fat loss goals based on success stories they've read. Remember, we are not created equal nor should we expect equal results. Not reaching your goals or expectations is enough to make you drop your diet plan. Setting your goals too high is a recipe for disaster.

I decided to start without fat loss goals but instead made strategic goals. My goals were to stick with a plan relative to time. Mental preparation.

Another mistake people commonly make is measuring their fat loss on a weight scale. This is a very inaccurate and misleading way to measure your success.

Think "size". This is the only easy and accurate way to measure your fat loss. If you begin a program, take a pair of pants and shirt that you find fits your present shape perfectly. Get dressed and make some photos from many angles, in relaxed standing and sitting positions. Do not wash or wear them once the photos are taken. Put the clothes in a safe place(to avoid washing them)and promise yourself you will not try them on again until you are 1 month into the program. They will not lie or mislead you. They will be an accurate measuring device.

Later I will right about knowledge.

Fritz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Professor_1942:
    I'm starting to get fat too. I eat way too much bread. Help me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problem. I instructed Antonio to put a price on your baker's head.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Professor_1942:
    I'm starting to get fat too. I eat way too much bread. Help me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love bread. I grew up(and out) on bread but, besides having a lot of nutrition, it has a lot of fat.

Pumpernickel and Vollkorn are not only very low in fat, nutritious, but also very tasty and filling. Go to a good store that sells German breads. It's easy to find and relatively inexpensive.

With every bite, take a little water. You'll find just one slice can be very filling. Don't eat this after 3 o'clock.

Timing is very important. Our metabolic rate peaks at around 8 in the morning and slowly decreases through the day. This is how eating at night makes you fat. This is why we can sleep at night. With your metabolic rate reduced, your body tends to store food as fat when you eat at night. My rule is, nothing after 8pm.

Foods such as grains and starch require much more work to digest. These are morning foods. This is where we get our energy for the day. I found it was good to eat half an apple in the morning with a slice of pumpernickel. The apple gives you fast energy while you're waiting for the long term energy to come from the bread. You need this energy to burn fat.

BTW, drink water everytime you eat. This works both as a filler and makes digestion much more efficient.

Eat small amounts but eat when you are hungry. 3 squares a day is actually unhealthy as your stomach is being stretched, your digestive system over worked, and your body tends to store more fat as if there wasn't enough food in your environment.

Your stomach has no eye nor ears. It's reacts to the environment you provide. Just imagine if you were a stomach. You receive food in large quantities, three times a day and usually after you've become hungry. Logically, you'd feel the food supply is not consistant and therefore decide it's in your best interest to store some as fact.

Feed the beast before it gets hungry. From the stomach's POV, there won't seem to be any shortage. Food is readily available, even in small quantities. That's good enough, no need to store fat. Let's give our chassis some extra energy. Hell, why not burn a little of our savings. Times are good.

It may sound a little corny, but it is this very logic that worked for me.

Fritz

Our stomachs, the organ, not the abs, is a truly amazing piece of evolutionary work. It adapts to its environment very quickly. This is key to losing fat.

Our stomachs can expand and shrink in size in as little as a few days. The first days of any diet are the most difficult. The stomach's size is relative to the amount of food we fill it with. Hunger is relative to the stomach's size.

By eating small amounts frequently, less than the size of an average apple, your stomach will quickly shrink to suit it's new environment, thus ending the feeling of hunger. This can happen in less than a week.

6 or less small meals a day, before you feel hungry, will shrink the stomach. After a week or so, you can decrease the size of each meal, but don't decrease the frequency. Get into the habit of being consistent. This will also regulate your metabolism, therefore your energy and sleep.

Shrink the stomach, shrink the hunger.

Fritz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
    Eat this!

Walk and ride a bike.
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course exercise speeds up the process and is great for the health. A good diet and exercise is all that's needed to lose fat.

Fritz

Page 1 of 7 123 ... Last ►►