I used to have problems with frame rates on PF. Then decided to download all the patches and it fixed the problem, only to be stuck with a new problem. Since I downloaded the patches (up to 4.04). I now get CTD's when playing PF and any other game that I have. Even my poor kid can't play Barney now without having CTD's.
    It definitely must be the patches that caused this. I didn't install anything else just before or since I installed the patches. Does anyone have the same problems or knows how to fix it?

I used to have problems with frame rates on PF. Then decided to download all the patches and it fixed the problem, only to be stuck with a new problem. Since I downloaded the patches (up to 4.04). I now get CTD's when playing PF and any other game that I have. Even my poor kid can't play Barney now without having CTD's.
    It definitely must be the patches that caused this. I didn't install anything else just before or since I installed the patches. Does anyone have the same problems or knows how to fix it?

ploughman's Avatar Senior Member
    I can't remember ever having a CTD with this game and I've been playing it since 2003. It's legendarily stable.

If you're sure it's the patches conflicting in some way with your system then I'd suggest a re-install and see how you get on.

Try this to narrow it down:
    - (Re-)Boot the machine
    - Play Barney and/or whatever other game but PF

* If you get a CTD, it's surely not PF or its patches that caused it

* If you did not get a CTD there:
    - Check your patching (as in: did they all download okay? Did you apply the right ones in the correct order?)

If all still fails: go start a thread in the Community Help Forum and include a DxDiag Report there.

(There are many possible causes, one of 'm is dust: clogged up fans and case openings in combination with running games can seriously overheat the computer...)

I've had lots of CTD's with IL2, all caused by overheating, overclocking , overdriving etc.

Never down to the game as such...

Good Luck!

Thanks for the info. I definitely patched in the right order. Made 100% of that. Will try your advice.

Bearcat99's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dogfighter1969:
    Thanks for the info. I definitely patched in the right order. Made 100% of that. Will try your advice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Sounds like you might have gotten either a corrupt patch or the wrong one.

$30.00 Problem solved. Thats $10 an add on. That is by far your best bet. Keep in mind thyat the add ons were originally going for $20 apiece.

TheBandit_76's Avatar Banned
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dogfighter1969:
    I now get CTD's when playing PF and any other game that I have....
    It definitely must be the patches that caused this.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or the fact that you may or may not have updated the DirectX files. That you are crashing out of other games tells me it's likely not IL2 iteself, but rather a video problem. Update vid drivers to start off.

Agree completely with BC. If you like the game even a tiny bit, buy the DVD and toss out that legacy of discs and patches.