Being fairly new to the discussion board, I do know there are a lot of varying opinions as to dead is dead, high and low realism settings. I must be a little slow as I am into 1943 and have been playing a relatively low (less than 50%) realism. With SH 4, I thoought it might be best to start at a much higher realism as one would tend to get over confident if at the lower settings. WHat are your thoughts?

tuddley3's Avatar Banned
    I think DiD is a little to much realism for me. As far as DiD goes, if you die, throw away your DVD, because you are dead.

I have gotten used to playing at 84% because of my first Patrol with the 4th Flotilla. I just got used to it. Although, now 70% is the minimum now, to your discretion

I'm going to play at 110% and yell "Bring 'em on"! Seriously, I'm playing SH3 at 100% realism. I worked my way to that point and I'll look to do the same with SH4. Plus, I don't think that my style of playing will change much.

In regards to maneuverability, the Gato Class subs are relatively compared to the IX class U-boats. And most here who knows me, also knows that I'm a faithful user of the IX class boats. As far as I'm concerned, the only changes that I will see is the flag that's flown on my targets and the difference of the campaign map.

As I've said before, since real Kaleuns had crews to help them I don't see the point in trying to do everything yourself in a game. Your Weapons Officer is there for a reason. Use him.

Some like to play with the TDC; some dont. ...and then some just plain don't get it.

Personally, I get more satisfaction out of hitting the target with my own solution.

I do enjoy playing the roles of the Captain, Navigator, Sonar, and Weapons Officer.

Cavit8's Avatar Junior Member
    I like to switch. Some days have been tough at work and my brain closely resembles grilled calamari so the weapons officer becomes my new best friend. Other days I reckon there's a scientific calculator tucked away inside my head and still other days I like to shoot from the hip, which consists of playing with the dials based on a dead reckoning of where the target is and then "Fire!" Alarmingly I get a good number of hits that way but you gotta be close.

I read a post somewhere about the relation between "slow", "medium" and "fast" being 5, 7 and 12 knots. Seems to work for my dead reckoning shots...

lecek's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by Cavit8:
    I read a post somewhere about the relation between "slow", "medium" and "fast" being 5, 7 and 12 knots. Seems to work for my dead reckoning shots...
    Slow is 5-7 knots.
    Medium is 7.1 to 9 knots.
    Fast is usually a ship doing 12 or 13 knots.
    Lone liners and task forces are usually doing 21 knots.
    Lone DD's have to be measured individually.

RedTerex's Avatar Senior Member
    The guys on the TDC can sort that out, I'll just give em the bearings, its good to be the Skipper !

I wont play with dud torpedos activated, despite historical accuracey and I like to use the external camera to appreciate all the hard work the devs have put in

Apart from that all realism set on everything else..prob give me about 70%

I started SH3 with 40 % and now play 71 %.
    I feel the same settings (over 70 %) will be set up in the beg. of SH4.