Yesterday I was online happily out running a Spitfire IXe. The spit pilot was spraying shots at around 800m away - and was in my opinion wasting his ammo, when all of a sudden a single round connects with my Fw A8 and it renders all of my controls disabled. FBD recorded the statistics for the sortie and it measured 267 shots fired one hit and one dead Fw 190.

I think the damage caused by the .50 cal ( unseen damage eg pilot wounding/kill or control damage ) is largely ignored by people who whine that it is too weak. With a 1 sec burst from dead 6 position you should rarely if ever blow up or dewing a target yet you should disable or register enough hits for a kill. 4,6 or even 8 .50 cals will not blow up a target like 2, or 4 x 20 mm cannons will.

Yesterday I was online happily out running a Spitfire IXe. The spit pilot was spraying shots at around 800m away - and was in my opinion wasting his ammo, when all of a sudden a single round connects with my Fw A8 and it renders all of my controls disabled. FBD recorded the statistics for the sortie and it measured 267 shots fired one hit and one dead Fw 190.

I think the damage caused by the .50 cal ( unseen damage eg pilot wounding/kill or control damage ) is largely ignored by people who whine that it is too weak. With a 1 sec burst from dead 6 position you should rarely if ever blow up or dewing a target yet you should disable or register enough hits for a kill. 4,6 or even 8 .50 cals will not blow up a target like 2, or 4 x 20 mm cannons will.

HellToupee's Avatar Senior Member
    anygun can get control kill in one hit.

WOLFMondo's Avatar Senior Member
    I was a bit dubious about using the Mustang MkIII's 4 .50's at first but I'm actually way more successful with them than 6 or 8.

Theres less vibration to put your aim off and you tend, well I do, to make the shots count.

berg417448's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mynameisroland:

I think the damage caused by the .50 cal ( unseen damage eg pilot wounding/kill or control damage ) is largely ignored by people who whine that it is too weak. With a 1 sec burst from dead 6 position you should rarely if ever blow up or dewing a target yet you should disable or register enough hits for a kill. 4,6 or even 8 .50 cals will not blow up a target like 2, or 4 x 20 mm cannons will. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A single 30 caliber hit to an engine can do the same thing. Happened to me in the Mustang and some Me-109's many times.

edgflyer's Avatar Banned
    Guns are not to week. Just need to be un-synced

Could be an end to a myth that .50cal doesn`t do damage over 300m.

Track plz.

Chuck_Older's Avatar Banned
    The Spit IXe carries Browning .50s?

a .50 API round in a fuel tank will produce the same result as a 20mm cannon round in the same fuel tank- BOOM

p1ngu666's Avatar Senior Member
    yep, it got slightly less heathen with the E wing

2x 50cal, 2x 20mm hispano

ive had that happen, even lost all controls, engine damage and other damage happen to my IL2 from a AI stuka (full ai ones are uber, more dangerous than 109 and 190)
    i was closer, but i was also in a tank..

Chuck_Older's Avatar Banned
    Huh, you really can learn something new every day

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►