PT80's Avatar Junior Member
    Hi guys,
    Is it just me or you guys have the same experience.
    I've just bought IL Sturmovik 1946 a few days ago, good deal and it's a great game, still looks terribly vibrant after so many years.
    I've connected my beloved Cyborg X to it as I'm using Vista 32 bits, the joystick aligns itself quite well without calibrations.
    But whatever aircrafts I choose, weird things happen: the aircraft just keeps pulling up itself. This is the same when I disconnect the joystick and use the keyboard only.
    Does anyone has any clue? Thanks for your help.

Uufflakke's Avatar Senior Member
    After take off did you raise your flaps?
    Or you need to adjust the elevator trim. By default it is:

Elevator Trim Negative Ctrl+Down Arrow
    Elevator Trim Neutral Shift+Up Arrow
    Elevator Trim Positive Ctrl+Up Arrow

Maybe it helps...

Hello PT80!

good news for you: nothing is wrong with your game or joystick.

Bad news (not really, but... ): the pulling up thing is normal for every aircraift. Besides that: it will not only pull up, but will also twist , bank, dive down and preaty much "fly" all over the place by itself.

good news again: its a feature!! thats how airplanes go in the air. and thats why you have a joystick, and as said by Uflakke you have trims!

since you are new ot the game i will explain you the basics:

your airplane while going faster and faster in level flight, it will try to go up. airplanes try to maintain a certain speed rather than a certain altitude. as you increase speed, yo can use your stick o compasate this climb or, in the name of laziness, you cna trim your aircraift. Timming is like setting your elevators (and all the other surfaces) to another position than neutral so that your airplane flys level ( or whatever thing you want to do) default keys for trimming have been noted by Uufflakke, but i recommend getting an axis into it such as the mosuewheel. use it to compensate the up and down.

good luck learnign the sim, it can be dificult to learn the basics and all but its fun

ROXunreal's Avatar Senior Member
    Hmm disagree on the last part, I think the basics are quite easy to learn (takeoff, landing, flying, certain easier aspects of gunnery), but getting good at the game, that takes time.

I see.

I have also tried to use the auto level pilot by giving it a key assignment. But it seems that the game doesn't pick up the key assignment or I don't know how to operate it?

BTW, how do I enable wide screen support, like 16:9 or 16:10? Thanks!!

Auto-level pilot only works in some bombers to help with aiming - the bomb aimer is not an AI job.

To adjust your screen, edit some values in the conf.ini file in the root folder. I believe there are other programs which change the field of vision to a new default to give you "true wide screen" although I don't use it.

[window]
    width=1280
    height=800
    ColourBits=32
    DepthBits=24
    StencilBits=8
    ChangeScreenRes=1
    FullScreen=1
    DrawIfNotFocused=0
    EnableResize=0
    EnableClose=1
    SaveAspect=0
    Use3Renders=0

Take note of all the zeros and ones - find out your screen resolution and enter that in the first two fields.

Once you get your game set up I recommend that you try MAT Manager - apparently endorsed by Oleg, although it's not user friendly. It replaces the default markings with better ones and enables swastikas and hakaristi.

Also be sure to try Lowengrin's DCG if you want to play dynamic coop campaigns, or offline campaigns.

Get Hyperlobby to play online with us.

That's all for now, enjoy, and see you in the Oleg-skies.

Hey
    Thanks for the hints!

M_Gunz's Avatar Banned
    PT80, are you using the trim at all?

I can't tell if you are not or if you might have something on the stick winding the pitch trim up to do this without you knowing.

I've finally got it sorted. I programmed my joystick to accommodate trim up and trim down. It works nicely now.
    Thanks!

M_Gunz's Avatar Banned
    Whether you do this for trim or not, all the keys can be remapped and many of the best ones default to what the stick does better. Like throttle on the number keys.. if you have a throttle then put prop pitch or fuel mixture on those and save having to use two keys to change prop or mix. The arrow keys are useless for steering the plane but in a good place for other uses. So remap the keyboard to get rid of as many as possible of those combo-keys to do things you might want to do quick.

Make sure that you do map the trim-neutral keys to something! If you don't know where your trim is set, you will if you use them.