As a few of you may know i have been trying for a while to get a career running as Eric Topp and at last i have managed it. After much messing about Well for those who are interested i thought i would keep a sort of running Diary here to show how i do compared to the legend In the end i gave up on getting the right port ect at the right time, its too much of a hastle and i would rather have the right ship at the right time! So im in wilhelmshaven instead of kiel. But a similar uboat...

My first patrol i dont have much to report. I had been told to patrol off the Shetland islands and thankfully it was really nice weather.

June 5th U-57 leaves for patrol

We had been at sea for 6 days with no sign of anyship at all other then a german tug boat which was a nice moment.

Friends indeed

9 days into the patrol and still no sign of anyships. The men were getting annoyed and tempers were running high when we picked up some radio signals from a British Cargo ship early morning. She foolishly identified herself as SS Santore and gave her rough heading away so a position was plotted between the radio man and our nav and course set in for an intercept.

By now the weather had turned pretty nasty and when we found her we were in a bad position, two torps one from behind on magnetic and then one from the side finished her, 4700 tons!

First Kill

The weather got progressivly worse and the next 3 torps all missed a small frieghter a few days later, or failed to explode. It was hard to get a decent fix in rough sea and fuel was running low so i headed back to base. I file my first patrol report sirs!

Patrol 1
    U-57, 1st Flotilla
    Left at: June 5, 1940, 14:48
    Mission Orders: Patrol grid AN21

June 14, 1940, 13:02
    Ship sunk!
    Grid AN 21
    S.S. Santore, 4749 tons

Return to base 19th June
    15 days at sea.

Patrol results
    Crew losses: 0
    Ships sunk: 1
    Aircraft destroyed: 0
    Patrol tonage: 4749 tons

So far its 1-0 to Topp and looking like 2-0.

His first 2 patrols in a duck bagged him 6 ships for 36,862 tons. 3 Kills on each patrol. That means i need a pretty **** impossible 2nd patrol to get back on track with only 5 torps onboard lolz.

As a few of you may know i have been trying for a while to get a career running as Eric Topp and at last i have managed it. After much messing about Well for those who are interested i thought i would keep a sort of running Diary here to show how i do compared to the legend In the end i gave up on getting the right port ect at the right time, its too much of a hastle and i would rather have the right ship at the right time! So im in wilhelmshaven instead of kiel. But a similar uboat...

My first patrol i dont have much to report. I had been told to patrol off the Shetland islands and thankfully it was really nice weather.

June 5th U-57 leaves for patrol

We had been at sea for 6 days with no sign of anyship at all other then a german tug boat which was a nice moment.

Friends indeed

9 days into the patrol and still no sign of anyships. The men were getting annoyed and tempers were running high when we picked up some radio signals from a British Cargo ship early morning. She foolishly identified herself as SS Santore and gave her rough heading away so a position was plotted between the radio man and our nav and course set in for an intercept.

By now the weather had turned pretty nasty and when we found her we were in a bad position, two torps one from behind on magnetic and then one from the side finished her, 4700 tons!

First Kill

The weather got progressivly worse and the next 3 torps all missed a small frieghter a few days later, or failed to explode. It was hard to get a decent fix in rough sea and fuel was running low so i headed back to base. I file my first patrol report sirs!

Patrol 1
    U-57, 1st Flotilla
    Left at: June 5, 1940, 14:48
    Mission Orders: Patrol grid AN21

June 14, 1940, 13:02
    Ship sunk!
    Grid AN 21
    S.S. Santore, 4749 tons

Return to base 19th June
    15 days at sea.

Patrol results
    Crew losses: 0
    Ships sunk: 1
    Aircraft destroyed: 0
    Patrol tonage: 4749 tons

So far its 1-0 to Topp and looking like 2-0.

His first 2 patrols in a duck bagged him 6 ships for 36,862 tons. 3 Kills on each patrol. That means i need a pretty **** impossible 2nd patrol to get back on track with only 5 torps onboard lolz.

Kaleun1961's Avatar Senior Member
    Dom, I wouldn't sweat not getting the Kiel flotilla. In real life, the U-boats didn't always make that slog around Denmark like the way we have to in this game. They went via the Kiel-Wilhelmshaven canal and saved a lot of diesel and time that way. Consider your current flotilla as simulating the canal trip.

Kaleun1961's Avatar Senior Member
    P.S. Interesting idea you've got going, simulating Topp's career. I look forward to future posts.

Prost!

K-61