MB_Avro_UK's Avatar Senior Member
    hi all,

This clip from a British BBC television series is an example. Set in WW1 1917.

British troops are going 'over the top' to face German machine guns and shells.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mep60vasbfI

Best Regards,
    MB_Avro.

You have to do anything to try and keep your sanity in a warzone. What I saw was nothing compared to those poor blokes in that war. I can only imagine...and even then probably not even come close.

Does it work?

Dad's Army.
    Allo Allo.
    It Aint Arf Hot Mum.
    Black Adder Goes Forth.

It certainly does!

"Are we the baddies" - will be along shortly.

Actually I suspect this thread is a thinly veiled attempt to get someone to post that link again! I am in a suspicious mood today. Perhaps MB_Arvo_UK has a cunning plan up his sleeve.

Esel1964's Avatar Senior Member
    I always get a laugh out of this old classic.

Depends.

1.War comedy made at the time of the war never works so well out of it. War comedy made for war has a different, much harsher attitude to it. Look at the Bugs bunny cartoon and how it refers and depicts the japanese. you wouldn`t get that today in a peacetime public kids cartoon.

2.War comedy made after the war is usually `cleaned up` enough to allow for civilian sensibilities and the fact that we are no longer at war. In this case `at war` comedy made in the war won`t work so well.

leitmotiv's Avatar Senior Member
    This is my all-time favorite: "Britain's Great Pre-War Joke"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8I3zCQzZx68

I remember once at school sitting for final French exam paper in a large hall with lots of other children. When we got the paper we were all shocked, the French used was so advanced that most of us couldn't understand a thing on it. After the few minutes it took to digest the fact that we were all f***ed, ie didn't have snowballs chance in hell of passing the exam quite a lot of us just burst out laughing. True genuine belly laughing. This was the exam that would give us our final grade after leaving school. I don't know if the laughter came as a release of tension, all i know is it wasn't contrived, just spontanious and genuine.
    I think in some situtions laughter just comes. Humor is always around us, sometimes we don't notice it, other times it smacks you in the face.

DuxCorvan's Avatar Senior Member
    The last Blackadder episode is intendedly sad and not as funny as the others. The previous ones are quite good.

leitmotiv's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by major_setback:
    I remember once at school sitting for final French exam paper in a large hall with lots of other children. When we got the paper we were all shocked, the French used was so advanced that most of us couldn't understand a thing on it. After the few minutes it took to digest the fact that we were all f***ed, ie didn't have snowballs chance in hell of passing the exam quite a lot of us just burst out laughing. True genuine belly laughing. This was the exam that would give us our final grade after leaving school. I don't know if the laughter came as a release of tension, all i know is it wasn't contrived, just spontanious and genuine.
    I think in some situtions laughter just comes. Humor is always around us, sometimes we don't notice it, other times it smacks you in the face.
    Laughing when you know you haven't got a snowball's chance in Hell is a very human reaction.