Do any other aircraft apart from the IL-2 get the 23mm YVA? Any of the Yaks for example?

clint-ruin's Avatar Senior Member
    LaGG-3 S29 and 35 have it as an optional loadout. If you go play Lo:MAC, you will see a very slightly modified VYa on the ZSU-23 :>

Thanks,

that makes the ZSU-23-4 one evil low level AA device. I noticed that the barrels on the ZSU's have jackets and are water cooled, I guess the LaGG's didnt carry enough ammo to really cook. Has anyone done a definative list of armaments/ammo loads for FB/AEP/PF aircraft? as I have found the object veiwer vague on some issues.

Cheers

p1ngu666's Avatar Senior Member
    try out yak9t, 9m and 9k

37mm,37mm and 45mm cannon, use 100m convergance

aa guns have water cos they will fire for long durations i guess. while a aircraft should fire short bursts, plus russian winter might help cooling

considering its ballistics & those of the gun that replaced it , im amazed that they dropped it in 45

Try this site here:

http://magnum-pc.netfirms.com/mudmov...1/loadouts.htm

The same page does not seem to have been replicated at airwarfare.com as yet.

For ammo and firing time per gun [again outdated]

http://fafgci.sqn.fr.free.fr/nouveau_fichier16.html

For belt composition in game, again outdated:

http://magnum-pc.netfirms.com/mudmov..._oleg_07.5.htm

Scroll down about 3/4 through the page to get to the table.

The ZSU also couldn't depend on having a 300-400kmh cold airflow going around the barrel while it fired too. Quite a few aircraft guns started out their evolution as antitank weapons - the Browning .50 cals lineage goes back that way too, and also ended up in heavy barrel/water jacket configurations for grunt work.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WUAF_Badsight:
    considering its ballistics & those of the gun that replaced it , im amazed that they dropped it in 45 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They had the N-23 and N-37 after that point - better guns for their purposes, and still ended up being a bit rough for high speed jet combat on the Mig-15/17.

their MV dropped by a third

the cannon on the Sturmovik are good for A2A because of their shell speed

this game has showen me that A2A gunnery is hard !

anything that makes it eaiser is Badly needed for the gunzo restricted Fighter pilot

& the VYA replacements seemed the opposite way to go to me , but then again , im not a 1940's A/C engineer

They stuck a low velocity 37mm on the thing for the same reason the P-39 ended up with one - the intended target was the bomber it was designed to intercept, and a B-29 or B-36 isn't exactly going to need a massively high velocity or high ROF weapon to bring down, just something that hits hard and travels along a reasonably predictable path. The N/NR23 was, I think, shown to be a much better weapon against jets than 6 nose mounted .50 cals at least, and absolutely a better weapon against bombers.

jurinko's Avatar Senior Member
    VYa-23 was too heavy.. so replaced by NS-23 with lower velocity but much lighter. But I love VYa