Thread: Regarding d3dx9_25.dll | Forums

I'm thinking that maybe this message board's moderator should make a sticky post about d3dx9_25.dll. Here's why:

Suppose I buy a new PC that has a fresh install of Windows 7, which has DirectX 11. Then I buy Heroes V. During its installation when I am asked if I want to install DirectX, I decline, knowing that the game's version of DirectX is older than what I already have and that it is unwise to install an old version of DirectX over a new version.

That means that after installing the game, even if the two expansions and the 1.6, 2.1, and 3.1 patches have been installed, the game won't start because an old DirectX 9.0c file--d3dx9_25.dll--is absent.

Admittedly I might be ignorant of something. So I do not presume that this less-than-expertly informed post should be made a sticky. But isn't there a growing horde of people with fresh installs of Windows 7 and DirectX 11? Shouldn't the moderator make a sticky with d3dx9_25.dll in its title? Shouldn't that sticky explain about d3dx9_25.dll and have a link to a place where it can be downloaded?

After all, this is Ubisoft, is it not? Doesn't Ubisoft want people with Windows 7 to play its game?

NikZei's Avatar Junior Member
    I have this problem too. Can it be solved?

Originally posted by NikZei:
    I have this problem too. Can it be solved?
    I have the main game and its two expansions up and running perfectly with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits. I'll try to remember what I did:

1. Do a Web search for d3dx9_25.dll
    2. You should get at least a couple of hits that direct you to a site where you can download the d3dx9_25.dll file.
    2. To access d3dx9_25.dll from the downloaded file, you will need to unzip the file. Windows 7 does that automatically by simply double-clicking on the download. (I don't remember for sure, but I think that Windows XP and Windows Vista may also automatically unzip it.) Otherwise you'll need an application like WinZip to unzip it.
    3. After opening up the downloaded file (that is, after unzipping it), highlight and copy the d3dx9_25.dll file. Then go to your Heroes of Might and Magic V folder. If you did the default installation, this file will be in your Ubisoft folder. If you have the Tribes of the East expansion installed, in addition to the Heroes of Might and Magic V folder your Ubisoft folder will also have a Heroes of Might and Magic V - Tribes of the East folder.
    4. In your Heroes of Might and Magic V folder(s), you will have at least one bin file. If you have the Hammers of Fate expansion installed, your Heroes of Might and Magic V folder will have a bin file and a bina1 file. Open up each of those bin files and paste the d3dx9_25.dll file that you have downloaded and copied. If you have Tribes of the East installed, your Heroes of Might and Magic V - Tribes of the East folder will have a bin and a binDM file. Again, open each of those bin files and paste the d3dx9_25.dll file.

That's it. Your game should now start up.

Note: I have seen other forum posts regarding d3dx9_25.dll. I don't remember if I saw those posts here or in the forums at Celestial Heavens and Heroes Community. I do remember that those posts suggested that you simply install DirectX during the game's installation process. That will install the d3dx9_25.dll file in your Heroes of Might and Magic V bin folder(s). I did not want to do that, however, because I think I should have the most recent version of DirectX, which is DirectX 11, not DirectX 9.0c (installed by the game). You may run into trouble with other applications if you don't have the most recent version of DirectX. Also, I don't trust another poster's suggestion that it's okay to have two versions of DirectX installed.

You should install the most recent patches. As of this post, they are version 1.6 for Heroes of Might and Magic V, version 2.1 for Heroes of Might and Magic V - Hammers of Fate, and version 3.1 for Heroes of Might and Magic V - Tribes of the East. I think you can get all those patches from the Ubisoft site. If not, check forums at Celestial Heavens and Heroes Community. Your version of the game can be seen by opening the game and proceeding to the main-menu screen. Check the corner. Warning!!! -- Be sure to install the correct regional version of the patch. As did I, you might think you need the US version when you actually need the EU (European) version. (See my other post, titled "Patches are not recognizing my installation of Heroes V."

NikZei's Avatar Junior Member
    I reinstalled the game with DirectX this time. It worked. DxDiag says that I have DirectX 11. I think the DirectX installer checks what you have installed and only adds files you haven't allready got.