View Poll Results: Lets try to clear this up and go for the vote for once and for all on the issue of having life-boat

Voters
518. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES. include life-boats with full realism.

333 64.29%
  • YES. include life-boats that cannot be shot at

80 15.44%
  • NO. I dont want them.

53 10.23%
  • I'm not fussed either way.

52 10.04%
    RedTerex's Avatar Senior Member

Redwine's Avatar Senior Member
    I vote the first, with the remarks of game must to include a feature......... when you shoot a life boat with any weapon, when you back home you must to fired out of the campaing with a sentence you must to go to martial court.......... and you and your campaing ...are done.......

It is not a crazy thing, this feature was included in Red Baron 3D, when you kill a friendly the game kills your campaing and thre is a AVI video of you in jail waiting the martial court......... Red Baron series start up before 1995..........

The Ancient History of the Submarine
    "Subgenesis"

Manual TDC
    "HTDC Tutorial"

I also voted for the first, however, I have doubts about court-marshal thing. To prosecute someone we need evidence. Yet where realistically speaking we could find them? There is no witnesses. No survivors on the life boats. No record in a log book. Only a handful of men on the watch saw what actually happened. Yet I do not think they will be willing to rat on their Kapitan, firstly, because if they saw what happened that means they did it and therefore implicated as well, secondly, there's such thing as Kameradschaft, and thirdly, they would understand that they owed big time to their Kapitan, because it was he who saved their own hide by bringing boat safely to the base. As Old Man in Das Boot novel says - 'We'd have had to wipe the slate clean. Typical case...' (Chapter 'Return Voyage')

Bruno Lotse
    U743

I voted the first one as well.
    But as for court martial, I'de say no because we are then going into another curriculum and perhap digressing too far away from what the game is about and that is to find and sink merchant shipping.

As for life-boats, survivors etc there is no way I'de shoot em up, perhaps pull along side and throw them some supplies, cigarettes or drinks yes. That would be cool.

regards

RedTerex

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    As for life-boats, survivors etc there is no way I'de shoot em up, perhaps pull along side and throw them some supplies, cigarettes or drinks yes.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Exactly.
    In things like that everything should depend on our conscience - our personal conviction, inner sense of what is right and what is wrong. Some people might think that a boat loaded with survivors is still a legitimate target - so bomb them. Others will stop from firing torpedo at the enemy destroyer as long as they realize that that one is fishing out survivors from a sunken scow. They strongly believe that unwritten law prohibits attacks on ships engaged in rescue operations. Your choice is cigarettes - not bullets. Physically, nothing in the sim should prevent from shooting survivors. But apart from physics there is such a thing as our moral fiber which means - there is no way I can do it.
    Bruno Lotse
    U743

What would happen if you tried to ram a lifeboat, if it's Indestructible?.

Would it sink your U-boat.

... I just notice that the only people who wrote on this thread, are those who vote for the first...
    I guess there are trying to justify themselves...

Anyone can post on this thread. Its as open democracy as much as open conscience. this forum has always supported freedom of speech as long as its not abusive etc to others.

If you want to post anti-lifeboat texts then that is ok. This SubSim Community as I have always discovered likes to express wide and varied views on everything associated with SH3.

Sometimes peoples views are actually swayed by reading posts as to the whys and wherefores of certain issues.

Posting about these issues is what these forums are all about. So if you wish to post your views on reasons NOT to have lifeboats even if you are reiterating from previous posts then please do.

Lifeboats as an issue is one I thought about a lot and eventualy agreed with myself that it would be good to have them included in the game, as we are trying to appraoch as much realism as possible with SH3.

It will hopefully be a SIMULATION and not an ARCADE ' game' and consequently there may be one or two things about it that are not favourite with everyone, but thats real life albeit simulated.

Respectfully

RedTerex

If someone wants to shoot lifeboats, I say the game should allow them to do that.

But if the tech/code isn't in there now, its not going to be. And I wouldn't want anything really important skimped on to get the lifeboats in there.

Defintely keep it on the drawing board for SH4 though. It really would be a very realistic touch.