GAU-8's Avatar Senior Member
    NOTE TO MODS:
    cant find the "show your P.C. tech/room" thread (NOT the "cockpit/ joystick modders thread").. but completely understand if it gets moved to the latter.
    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::

im bored.

BOOOOOOOOOORED. i normally dont have a few hours free any more.. since this guy came along

today is one of those days though, wife was gone, kid was gone... and my money is well..with the wife. tv is boring , didnt want to get shot down online. surfed all things web at work .. i decided i needed to get CREATIVE! * in under 2 hours time*

because THIS GUY (above)moved in, i had to give up my "mans-computer-wargame-sim-and-tactical room"

i fought but it came to some words, and he won.

so the room is now his.

I on the other hand have to partake in typical HARRY POTTER fashion for a place to sim. just like Mr. POTTER, i too am relegated...to a CLOSET. (my friends think this is the funniest thing, and joke " the only straight/married guy i know, who came out of the closet....and went back in!" HAR HAR very fu.... now that i think about it, it is funny.

it gets hot. REALLY HOT (notice the fan tucked away for me. not the pc.)

anyways, because of the situation, of nobody home, no real money for shopping * i dont consider "paying bills" as shopping of any form. they dont count*

i decided to do what any man with a few hours time, boredome, broke, and a garage full of stuff (namely steel pipe, 2'x 2' ballistics glass, "hammered" textured spray paint, dremel tool, some sheet rock, and sheet rock mud would do.)

I BUILT SOMETHING. the LOWEST, most PRIMAL of manly-man urges ...well,besides sex. to CREATE. you guys know . it doesnt matter WHAT it is, just to START on something and say "I BUILT IT" even in the roughest of edges, something another man can appreciate. (in my case maybe chuckle at first!)

i built my first PC/TABLE, i call FRAG-BOX (falcon northwest.... WHO??)not because of "kills' but because of..its crumbly nature.

thats right,

STEEL FRAME- cause we likes steel

BULLET PROOF GLASS- cause we like heavy armor shi..er...stuff.

SHEET ROCK and MUD- MANS VERSION of play-doh

"HAMMERED" TEXTURED PAINT- cause we like a good rough n tough look.

"WIMMIN"- CAUSE WE LOVE A GOOD WOMAN (even one rough around the edges)

although there arent any PC parts in it yet, it does have a vented backside, and shelf in the middle. bottom is open to floor for now. later i will add LEDs around the frame, but underneath the glass, and have it change color, and brightness (for now its just a rope light.)the plastic coating is still on for a frosted look. but that will come off later, and i will get a sheet of plexi that is frosted. as you can see the protective coating has some bubbles to it.

after frame was built. i got the dremel , quickly sawed out a few designs in the sheetrock walls.after teh walls were attacthed, i taped/floated the corners up, and just smothered like stupid the sheetrock mud on its canvas. waited for it to almost dry, then came back with the paint, and "hammered" it out, and mixed in into non uniform archaic "dont touch it yer gonna get lockjaw" sharp mounds.

its ugly.its rough. its simple. guys love it. the boys like the trucker chick. and mommas pull em away from it. why "FRAG-BOX"? cause the cats DIG it. litterally. it gets a weathered look from them, and my wife reminds me of it everytime she has to vacuum the little fragments

this is initially a "rough draft" to work on before i start messing with the 3' x 3' sheets of ballistics glass i got. those i plane to actually put real time, effort, and money into. no sheetrock on those babies though. prolly a thin gauge alum, or steel, and industrial lighting. maybe some artistic chain link legs or summin like that.

yup. its ugly (like the A-10) its messy (WHO CARES) and its HEAAAAVY. (the 2' x 2' x 3" glass is doesnt help.)

its ugly simple right now, and will go thru some revision changes later. ill post pics when the parts are going inside. for now, its pulling "table" duty for the x-box's n playstations. but later it will be a "entertainment/party/web surf block" later. i have enough pc parts to get wsome kind of rig up and running, but it wong be very good right now. maybe something comperable to 3 to 4 years old. got a buddy who works for an electronics store, he was tellin me there were some light damage display items that i could problably get real cheep. once when everything goes in , all the "typical" gamer stuff will be going in. with the exception of lighting and stuff, since it wont be directly "visible" bujt who knows, after a new skin is put on later, i might add some cut out through the metal skin.

FRAG BOX.

CUZ GUYS LIKE TO BUILD STUFF..

Esel1964's Avatar Senior Member
    I like the models,maps ,and Camo net surrounding your sim pit,NICE!

I think you mean the following,is the one you want.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/t...5/m/3821084134

we actually had a "sim room" thread somewhere, and now i cant find it.

i didnt want to hog up a specific thread for "pits/flightstick modding" since mine is about a computer case, and nothing about joystick/ HOTAS wise, more about general hardware/tech.

figured to stick it out in open, and have someone point me along. thanks for trying though ( i did see it though and thought about posting it there before here in GD)

hmmm. no commment on the frag box. . watch it mister. carry on. nothing to see here.

willyvic's Avatar Moderator
    I love your notes to self!

Put trim on slider.
    Call out Oleg on two weeks bluff.
    Who/what is RBJ!???
    Prank call Megile, then say it was Lstarosta.
    Mix Dot4 with Dot5 brake fluid on ALL JG 109s.
    Feed baby

Priceless!

WV.

stathem's Avatar Senior Member
    Nice Work on the Frag Box GAU

Why is it that having kids does that to you? Since mine was born 2 ½ years ago I've spent more time fiddling with the rig and controls than flying; got a good system and all the gear now and no stick time.

What I'd love to do, but know I never will due to lack of time and more importantly, complete absence of skills, is to build a PC inside a model of an aircraft.

I suppose it would have to be something big, say, a Lanc or B-17 in a large scale.

I see little motors to drive the props, blowing air over Heat-sinks in the wings (or CPU on one side and GPU on the other). Tail guns on a B-17 would make a great place for a USB or LAN port.

Got to be doable, but not by me.

i have wanted to do the same!

in the back of a maximum PC, there was a guy who did a 777 (?) PC for his pops. very smart, sleek...and un-fragbox like outer shell was made of lexan, and formed over a wooden frame. it looks shazaaamtastic!

about to play with the box, see what kind of stuff i can do to add to it. but the sheetrock walls are going to get my wife a little upset. (if i can actually take the top off by myself!

im am embarassingly proud..or is it proudly embarrassed .. its so hedious but fun to look at and prop da feets up onto

Airmail109's Avatar Senior Member
    Best post in weeks

lol love the bit about JG27 and Megile

Youve got quite a talent for telling stories with humor

Good post - Thought u been a bit quiet of late . Belated congratulations on the new un, my children are 8 & 6 now but I remember the craziness when they first came along and having to give up my "study". excellent to do list.

waffen-79's Avatar Senior Member
    Cool models mate, and the map of Kolguyev :AWESOME

nice to see another OFP Fellow here

now... back to ARMA