Why is it my rank is Lieutenant Jnr? Shouldnt I be Captain? I seem to have officers outranking me!

Easy man. The term "Captain" applies to the guy in charge of the boat regardless of the rank. For instance, most sub commanders in the US Navy are Commanders (O-5s) not Captains (O-6s) but they are referred to as Captains as long as their in charge of the boat. Nothing personal, man...

Thought it mas be something like this.. no need to write my letter to the boss then

yeah, that sucks ***. my chief engineer outranks me. thats not right! lol

It raises the question: Did U-boat commanders always hold the highest rank aboard the boat ? In a lot of other armed forces it was very common for the commander of a unit to be outranked by his crew members...RAF Bomber Command for instance, where the navigator could be a Flight Lieutenant while the pilot ( the plane's commander ) could be a Flying Officer, or Warrant Officer, or even Flight Sergeant.

quillan's Avatar Senior Member
    I couldn't say about the Kriegsmarine, but in the US Navy, the boat Captain must be navigation/command qualified. An engineer, who might technically outrank the overall commander, might not be able to assume command of the ship. Captain, as a rank, is different in the navy than in the other branches. In the US Army/Air Force/Marines, the lowest officer is a 2nd Lieutenant, followed by 1st Lt, then Captain. Beyond there lies Major, Lieutenant Colonel, Colonel, and the General ranks above that. In the Navy, it starts with Ensign, followed by Lt. Jr Grade, Lt. Sr Grade, Lt Commander, Commander, and Captain. Captain as a naval rank is equivalent of Colonel as an army rank, a senior staff officer position. Usually only major warships have an actual Captain in command, as I understand it.

Yeah, our Captain on my sub was a Commander. The Commander of our entire submarine squadron was a real Captain. So in those cases- Commanders are Captains, and Captains are Commanders.

Aircraft Carriers' Captains are actual Captains, not sure what other US Navy ships have actual Captains. I'm sure when we reactivated the Battleships in the late 80's they were prob Captains.

Yes, you are correct Johnny. BB's have Captns also. My dad was stationed on the USS Wisconsin(BB 64)when she was recomissioned in 88'.I remember my Dad laughing about the Captn. Blesch was his name i believe,because he ran the ship aground not even a mile out of port.Got a nice blown up aireal picture of it with its screws churning up the mud in the bay.got an even better one with the 16's firing and you can see the rounds leaving the gun. frickin awesome!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SDG73:
    Yes, you are correct Johnny. BB's have Captns also. My dad was stationed on the USS Wisconsin(BB 64)when she was recomissioned in 88'.I remember my Dad laughing about the Captn. Blesch was his name i believe,because he ran the ship aground not even a mile out of port.Got a nice blown up aireal picture of it with its screws churning up the mud in the bay.got an even better one with the 16's firing and you can see the rounds leaving the gun. frickin awesome! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What was your dad's rate? My brother was an OS2 on the recommission crew and did the Gulf War cruise, which I am sure your pop did as well. Ask him if he knew OS2 Wilson Smith (he worked in Strike). I am active duty Navy, 20 years, Chief Petty Officer (I retire in July).

I will say this about today's US Navy....you will not see the skipper (Commanding Officer) of a boat or a base or a unit outranked by anyone in his command.

Occasionally, on the aviation side of the house (which I have been for 20 years) you will have a "plane commander" or "aircraft commander" be junior to his co-pilot and/or crew, but even then not often.