Just been reading an article in the newspaper about the new PS3. It will be released in about a year and it looks as though the graphics will far outsrip the PC by then. They are talking of graphics of cinematograhic quality.
    I can see loads of advantages of having something like FB on a dedicated playstation where there are no hardware conflicts and everybody on line is behind the same machine.
    I've resisted playstations, Nintendo's etc up till now, but I'm wondering for how much longer !

Just been reading an article in the newspaper about the new PS3. It will be released in about a year and it looks as though the graphics will far outsrip the PC by then. They are talking of graphics of cinematograhic quality.
    I can see loads of advantages of having something like FB on a dedicated playstation where there are no hardware conflicts and everybody on line is behind the same machine.
    I've resisted playstations, Nintendo's etc up till now, but I'm wondering for how much longer !

F0_Dark_P's Avatar Senior Member
    that will never happen i am afraid

consoles are "mainstreem machines" and flight simulators are not mainstreem, the only game with airplains that will come are games like Ace combat and that is a arcade sim, a good game i love it, but far from games like il2, BoB and Ms flight simulator

i have been hoping for a true flightsim forever, and with the arrival of Xbox in 2001 made me hope even more for one but no one came, there are one that will come to the Xbox 360 but i doubt it is a "sim"

fordfan25's Avatar Senior Member
    i very much dout it. hard core sim's like this is PC restricted.

Heh. even a key board doesn't have enough keys for IL2. Try doing it on a controller.

Simple really. Consoles are great for console games. Consoles can't beat PCs on flexibility and the ability to adapt to niche markets, and nor are they designed to.

For instance, even if the PS3 was a hundred times as fast as my current rig, it would lack the driver and peripheral support for (and this is just me):

Pedals
    Joystick
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    TrackIR
    Headset

All of which are vital for my simming.

I've yet to see a console with a whopping great USB2 bus to cater for flight simmer's peripherals and the adaptability to keep up with simming's progressive hardware demands.

Consoles are great, but they're a lot cheaper than PCs for a reason.

With the prevailing attitude of publishers to treat all consoles games as the equivalent of fast food hamburgers, it is highly unlikely we`ll ever see anything like a real flight sim on them.

It doesn`t matter how good consoles get. It`s all about the [I]willingness[/] of the guys who make these things to try going serious in a game for once.

To be fair, Bethesda did produce Morrowind on the Xbox which is IDENTICAL to the PC version - so there`s a thin hope yet...

Overlooking the problem of key assignments and needing a joystick I don't think the major game publishers would find it profitable enough for a console. A lot more people own PC's than consoles therefore making it more marketable on that platform.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by F0_Dark_P:
    that will never happen i am afraid

consoles are "mainstreem machines" and flight simulators are not mainstreem, the only game with airplains that will come are games like Ace combat and that is a arcade sim, .... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dude! What about pilots wings on the SNES, That game was UBER realistic!!!11!!OneOne!1One!

Huxley_S's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Simple really. Consoles are great for console games. Consoles can't beat PCs on flexibility and the ability to adapt to niche markets, and nor are they designed to.

For instance, even if the PS3 was a hundred times as fast as my current rig, it would lack the driver and peripheral support for (and this is just me):

Pedals
    Joystick
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    TrackIR
    Headset

All of which are vital for my simming.

I've yet to see a console with a whopping great USB2 bus to cater for flight simmer's peripherals and the adaptability to keep up with simming's progressive hardware demands.

Consoles are great, but they're a lot cheaper than PCs for a reason.

Cheers, Spinner </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The new PS3 has 6 USB 2.0 ports, plus it has a hard drive and internet connectivity. So connecting a stick, mouse and keyboard and pedals should be no problem. It may be that it is possible for someone to write a driver for Track IR that can be downloaded through the internet and stored on the drive... maybe, maybe not.

The graphics and processing power of the PS3 is far superior to even the highest spec PC at the moment... would be great if someone could make a realistic combat sim for it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►