Eh, what's going on here?

Quite normal... Wake Turbulence.

Read this for starters. http://www.avweb.com/news/airman/183095-1.html

Contrails can be seen under the following conditions :
    1. High level trails due to water vapour from engine exhaust condensing out in the extremely cold high altitude air (like your breath on a cold day) and leaving a long contrail in the sky.
    2. This picture shows water vapour condensing out due to extremely low pressure areas (vortexes) above the wings and the streamers from the vortex caused by landing flaps. Low pressure means lower temperature, causing the water vapour to condense out. This is what causes the contrails from the wing tips during high g turns when the air is humid and a vortex is formed at the wing tips.

Those are really U.S. Gov't efforts to dissemina

LEBillfish's Avatar Senior Member
    Obviously the pilot hit "wingtip smoke" accidentally probably in chat and having set up his keyboard commands to W vs. Alt+W.

AKA_TAGERT's Avatar Banned
    I dont know, but Ill bet raaaid has a theory

Read that article Waldo,,, I was scared of flying before,,,, lol

Yeah, we need Raaaid on this one.. it's a government conspiracy to make us all ill to increase the sales of medicine!

Originally posted by Hashmark13:
    Eh, what's going on here?
    It's an unusually humid spring morning. Lots of fog, temperatures low enough for lots of water to condense, low pressure vortices at the edges of the landing flaps. It's not uncommon to see contrails forming right there, just search Google Images for other DC-10 pictures. You can even see the water condensing on top of the wings, although to a much lesser extent.

Either that, or they're just finishing off a fuel jettison during an emergency landing in order to get the plane down to a safe landing weight. This might be it, because contrails usually aren't so... corporeal. Maybe they shut the valves kind of slowly, maybe it's only rapidly condensing fuel vapor coming out, maybe the fuel dump ports are in a different place entirely and I'm just talking out of my ***.

...who am I kidding? It's part of a vast government conspiracy to blanket the sky with reflective material, hence defeating global warming and allowing the current administration to undermine the opposition in this country while pleasing their alien overlords (who landed at Roswell, New Mexico on June 24, 1947), who are spectacularly sensitive to changes in temperature, but require a unique combination of radiation from clandestine nuclear tests and undisclosed forms of solar radiation that cannot be replicated underground.

joeap's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by LStarosta:
    Those are really U.S. Gov't efforts to dissemina
    OMG "they" got him.