I just received word that P-38 Ace and former commander of the 79th. Fighter Squadron, Maj. Jack M. Ilfrey passed away on October 15th. and was laid to rest on October 19th.

For those of you who never had the honor to meet or know him, Jack was one of the most generous and genuine men I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. He was truly the last of a breed the likes of which we may never see again.

I will miss him dearly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SKIDRO_79FS:
    I just received word that P-38 Ace and former commander of the 79th. Fighter Squadron, Maj. Jack M. Ilfrey passed away on October 15th. and was laid to rest on October 19th.

For those of you who never had the honor to meet or know him, Jack was one of the most generous and geniune men I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. He was truly the last of a breed the likes of which we may never see again.

I will miss him dearly. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He wrote about his experiences in WW2 very well. I'll never forget his account of when he decided to take a captured 109 up for a spin. A german speaking Master Sergeant taped english translations ontop the instruments and off he went. However, the 109 was still in German markings and he inadvertently scared the heck out of all the US troops near the airbase!

He got into a bit of bother after he landed (without flaps as the controls had not been labelled ) with the CO of the 9th!

RIP.

tsisqua's Avatar Senior Member
    RIP Jack

Skid, my brother, I know how important jack and his life had become to you the last few years. My thoughts are with you as much as with "Happy Jack"'s surviving family members, if there were any left.

Tsisqua

310th Falcon's Avatar Senior Member
    ~S!~

Best Regards

Tsisqua, I appreciate it bro. He had a good life and while I feel his loss deeply, it's better to celebrate the amazing life he lived and to honor his deeds.

Skidro,

I'm sure that Jack would have wanted it that way. Could you possibly post, perhaps a nice photo of Jack that might do that, (Celebrate his life)? Jack had to be one of the more "colorful" pilots in ETO. His evasion story never ceases to put a smile on my face. I don't know if you are able to, but if possible . . . Well . . . you know the pic that I am talking about.

Tsisqua

LOL I am guessing you mean the one of Jack dressed up as Jacques Robert, French Farmer. For those of you not familiar with the story, Jack was shot down in June 1944 and evaded through occuppied France to Allied-held territory, a total of 200 miles, dressed like this...

Bearcat99's Avatar Senior Member
    ~S~ Rest in Peace........

This is why what we do is so important. Do you guys realize that if we dont keep it alive a whole generation may not even be aware of these guys. Sure.. they will get that cursory glimpse of WW2 in school.. and then they can get the Hollywood versions of some of this.. but by keepinmg the memories of these men and thier deeds alive we are gaurding a valuable piece of history for the younger generation.. who wont have the same passion for this stuff that we do. Most of us are one or two generations removed from this... some of us even lived it (not me personnally but some of us). Thats why it is just so cool to me to see so many actual squads represented here.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SKIDRO_79FS:
    LOL I am guessing you mean . . . <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeppir!

Thanks, Skid.

Tsisqua

My pleasure, bro, my pleasure. And thank all of you who have taken the time to post on this thread, it means alot to me. I almost feel as though I have lost a member of my extended family...

According to the source who informed me Jack's obituary won't be run until sometime in the next week or so, if anyone reading this is from either the Houston or San Antonio, Texas area I would love to have a copy of it, I will happily remit the postage. Just drop me a PM.