What do you guys think of the Hellcat as it's modeled? This is an airplane I've tried to like, but I can't find much redeeming value in it. I was doing some QMB's and can only conclude it bears little resemblance to the Hellcat I've read about by people like Saburo Sakai. Flying the same basic tactics against A6M3 and A6M5 Zeros I've used in the Corsair, the Hellcat seems very inferior even for B&Z. I know collision modeling in many instances is nothing to write home about, but I was flying the A6M3 against an F6F-3 and had a very close head-on pass. I managed to squeeze off a short burst, but didn't see any rounds impact. When I pulled around, I was amazed to see the Hellcat's fuselage was in two pieces plunging toward the sea. I checked my external view and it seems my Zero's now missing left aileron had broken the Hellcat in two. Other than that, my A6M suffered no damage. I'm not basing my opinion on the Hellcat on one or two experiences. I'm very disappointed in it and hope it will be redressed in a future patch. Anyone else feel the Hellcat needs another look?

lbhskier37's Avatar Senior Member
    no

VW-IceFire's Avatar Senior Member
    It seems pretty good...good enough that I have an unreleased Hellcat F6F-5 campaign in the works detailing the Hellcat in the Marianas Turkey Shoot. I'm waiting for the patch so I can use the Jill instead of Kate and maybe add some more details (and play test it) so I have to say I like the plane.

Its a good BNZ machine but its not spectacular. The thing that people always say were the good features of the Hellcat were:
    - Good handling for novice pilots
    - Good handling at any speed
    - Was tough and robust
    - Had good firepower

In FB all of these things are true. The firepower is subjective but when you strike home with the .50cal the Zeros do disitigrate. The robustness is very true (its a solid contender for toughest plane to shoot down). Its handling really is excellent...it has a good roll and elevator response from essentially 90kph all the way through 600kph. Thats a very wide band for a very acceptable level of control...most planes have excellent control but in a smaller area of speed.

I say its a good plane. Its a bit slow, but looking at the numbers suggests that it was...but not in comparison to its opponents.

Take it online though in fly any plane dogfight servers and it gets cut up pretty nicely most of the time. Thats when you see why the USN eventually brought the Corsair into the fray.

HayateAce's Avatar Banned
    19:1 kill ratio in WW2.

No chance in Hades Oleg will ever allow the F6F series to perform at full potential.

G A M E P L A Y

The kill ratio figures stand on their own merit, but the reasons behind the figures are rather complex. Yes, the design was purposely intended to defeat the Zero series aircraft, but just as happened in Germany, the Japanese hierarchy pinned their hopes of rapid victory on a design that did not keep pace with advancing technology. Once time allowed the U.S. industrial might to reach a wartime footing, the end was inevitable, just as Yamamoto predicted. Attrition warfare was the name of the game and Japan could not hope to emerge victorious. Several key victories by Allied forces quickly put the Imperial Japanese forces on the defense and without the naval assets it possessed earlier in the war. Masatake Okumiya, IJN staff air operations officer, wrote in the book "Zero", the Japanese did not even have a strategy for recovering downed pilots. As in Germany, while aircraft could be replaced, experienced pilots could not. Allied victories gained momentum as their aviators gained experience against newer and less experienced opponents. Once B-29's could roam the length of the Japanese home islands, it was as much as finished. As originally stated, I feel the Hellcat doesn't perform in accordance with historical accounts. I also know such "anecdotal evidence" holds little sway with engineers and Oleg is a trained engineer. I do not know how such issues can be resolved or if they even can. You can see by my registration date that I've been with this series since IL-2 first hit the streets. Frankly, while I dearly love WWII air combat simulations and certainly feel 1C:Maddox has set the standard, I don't feel like fighting to make my point anymore. I made the point, the world will continue to rotate whether anyone agrees with me or not. Still, I would like to see some things tidied up before the series passes into software history, but maybe that's just wishful thinking.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HayateAce:
    19:1 kill ratio in WW2.

No chance in Hades Oleg will ever allow the F6F series to perform at full potential.

G A M E P L A Y <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Finish B-239 had a kill to loss ratio of 26:1, the Focke Wulf had a kill to loss ratio of only 4:1, the Corsair had an 11:1 ratio, the Wildcat had a 9:1 ratio, just to name a few. The kill to loss ratio is dependent on a number of factors only one of which is flight performance.

The Hellcat has puke on the windshield...that should definitely be fixed...as far as FM goes, I don't feel like it is a 19:1 kind of fighter but then again, I've never flown a fighter so how should it feel?

One thing that I've felt was that the rated speed of the aircraft is too slow compared to real life. There were tests done showing the airspeed indicator location caused low speed ratings and that its true top speed was like 405mph...there is a lot of data though that indicates otherwise...it wouldn't suprise me if the plane was a faster in real life than is modelled or slightly better in the turn....but really the plane is capable of being flown like it was historically and doing extremely well against historical opponents so if the FM is not touched, I won't be upset....I've never seen anything definitive saying the speed was off.

Now that wind screen needs cleaning for sure!

LEXX_Luthor's Avatar Senior Member
    ||:: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'm not basing my opinion on the Hellcat on one or two experiences. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Yes you are, and only one experience, the collison you experienced. You may need to do some testing, or find more experience beyond colliding.

Collision model is not common sense. Its like, the faster aircraft is the one that falls to pieces, or something like that. Not sure.

Yeah I think the slower plane always wins in the collisions.

Originally posted by LEXX_Luthor:
    "I'm not basing my opinion on the Hellcat on one or two experiences."
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Yes you are, and only one
    experience... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have concluded, erroneously, that I based my judgement on the one example given even though I clearly stated otherwise. Bruce Lee said, "Don't take the finger pointing at the moon to be the moon". Likewise, don't take one example to be all examples. Either you don't understand what I wrote or you presume to know what I've experienced.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... Last ►►