I think I've finally found my favourite plane! I've been watching a track and trying to figure out exactly what triggers the activation of the leading edge slats. It's not that obviuos. It seems to be when I turn tight, but not all the time. Am I right that they are a lift device of some sort? One of you smart cookies is bound to know. Can you enlighten me?

Xiolablu3's Avatar Senior Member
    A good demonstration and explanation of the slats on a 109G....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...zYZo&feature=related

SKip to 8 minutes for the slats bit...

thanks, guys that's interestng. had no idea the 109 had them too.

One thing that is missing from these leading edge slats is the *bang* they make when they pop out. I remember reading about the ones on the 109 doing so at least...

ahhh slats..smats. the 109 drivers always bragging about those slats.

Originally posted by jamesblonde1979:
    One thing that is missing from these leading edge slats is the *bang* they make when they pop out. I remember reading about the ones on the 109 doing so at least...
    You mean hearing the slats pop out over the noise a 1000-2000hp engine slap in front of your nose is making?

ROXunreal's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
    A good demonstration and explanation of the slats on a 109G....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...zYZo&feature=related

SKip to 8 minutes for the slats bit...
    god I had no idea the 109 cockpit is so small

Xiolablu3's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by JG52Karaya-X:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jamesblonde1979:
    You mean hearing the slats pop out over the noise a 1000-2000hp engine slap in front of your nose is making? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You obviously didnt watch the video I posted of Reg Hallam describing how the slats work.

They are apparantly gentle and benign and there is no snatching even if they operate assemetrically, as long as they are operating properly. Watch the youtube video I posted.

Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JG52Karaya-X:
    You mean hearing the slats pop out over the noise a 1000-2000hp engine slap in front of your nose is making?
    You obviously didnt watch the video I posted of Reg Hallam describing how the slats work.

They are apparantly gentle and benign and there is no snatching even if they operate assemetrically, as long as they are operating properly. Watch the youtube video I posted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did actually, all 5 of them some time ago, just rewatched that particular video and nowhere is he speaking about them coming out with any sort of audible sound. Just as you said he even describes them as being very benign and smooth in operation.

In case you failed to notice, my previous post was being rather sarcastic about what jamesblonde wrote (slats "popping out"), btw not trying to flame you there james

Just wanted to point out that hearing a leading edge slat come out over your own engine is HIGHLY unlikely. If I heard a "pop" or "bang" while in flight my first concern would be to see if my aircraft is still in one piece!

I'm flying motor gliders of the likes of a Scheibe Falke SF25C and/or a Diamond Aircraft Dimona in my spare time and even these two with their Rotax engines of little over 100hp are so loud that I wouldnt hear anything moving on my aircraft

Page 1 of 7 123 ... Last ►►