IN SH3 before release date we heard that you were going to be able to navigate by the position of the stars.

Some were even suggesting that it would be nice to be able to flash messages back and forth from boat to boat using hand lamps.

I have yet to buy the game ( I'm stuck teaching English in South Korea for the next month so sadly I cant) I was wanting to ask those of you that have been playing SH3 which touches you like the best? and which features in SH3 are truly the most enjoyable?

Celeon999's Avatar Senior Member
    The dynamic campaign

Well as you've probably gathered, the features you mention are not in the game...

These are the first things that come into my head when I think about what I like most about SH3:

1. An obvious one - the graphics, particularly the sea movement, sun/sky and the various weather effects

2. The open-ended playability - follow orders, but more importantly use your initiative to truly succeed!

3. The mod-ability. I can't believe how many excellent mods have been devised, many of which add significantly to the game's lifespan

4. That feeling of dread you get when the destroyer's sonar starts pinging your boat's hull

5. That buzz you get when you spot a convoy, task force or one of the rarer targets such as a liner, battleship or aircraft carrier

6. The satisfaction of a successful hunt, interception and kill, preferably with a keel-breaking explosion (the successes are made only sweeter by all the failures!)

These truly great qualities more than compensate for the numerous minor faults and omissions.

So you'll be joining us in the Atlantic in a month or so then?

Hoatee's Avatar Senior Member
    The view is great - 'specially the sea. The difference between Silent Hunter II and III is like the same as between Warbirds 2.76 and Warbirds III (not a good analogy if you are not into flight combat sims).

The graphics are just grand.

The starfield and its rotation are modelled accurately -- there are no built in tools for navigating by the stars but you could probably do a decent job of dead reckoning with a few calculations. Probably easier than IRL, since ocean currents aren't modelled.

Yep, Looking forward to getting my hands on this game at last.. will definitely be good to leave Shore sounds like its as good as it looks then! Anyongee Kesayo ( bye in Korean)

1.JaVA_Hornet's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by VikingGrandad:
    Well as you've probably gathered, the features you mention are not in the game...

These are the first things that come into my head when I think about what I like most about SH3:

1. An obvious one - the graphics, particularly the sea movement, sun/sky and the various weather effects

2. The open-ended playability - follow orders, but more importantly use your initiative to truly succeed!

3. The mod-ability. I can't believe how many excellent mods have been devised, many of which add significantly to the game's lifespan

4. That feeling of dread you get when the destroyer's sonar starts pinging your boat's hull

5. That buzz you get when you spot a convoy, task force or one of the rarer targets such as a liner, battleship or aircraft carrier

6. The satisfaction of a successful hunt, interception and kill, preferably with a keel-breaking explosion (the successes are made only sweeter by all the failures!)

These truly great qualities more than compensate for the numerous minor faults and omissions.

So you'll be joining us in the Atlantic in a month or so then?
    You said it all well!