the bad reputation of the 109 today is a result of the fact that the G6late was used a long time in 1944. Hard live for the pilots in this plane, and also for us. G10 was in use in autumn 44...
    G14 maybe a bit earlier, but the low HP G6 in 1944 is the cause why many guys in the General Forum believe a P51 should do anything it wants with a 109.

* _54th_Speeder *

a2356efba3t4r7on4uy5d6[ui90[78-o.,[7pjmehj7vhgqtfb56ta56r2d
    This is what happens when I roll my head on my keyboard.

Chuck_Older's Avatar Banned
    The problem is that folks don't have any clue how to fly it. We ALL fly these aircraft wrong sometimes. The sim allows you to do it. The concept of 110% throttle and less than 100% prop pitch is alien to many folks, for example

TX-Zen's Avatar Senior Member
    I'm a Dora pilot, what is this mysterious prop pitch you speak of?

Chuck_Older's Avatar Banned
    It's this thing on the P-51Dora

Bearcat99's Avatar Senior Member
    I know how to fly it... and it still IMO has serious flaws.... I fly it anyway.. it is what it is and it's the best P-51 out.... that can shoot anyway.... and it is in the only WWII sim that gets my time so I just deal..... but I still say it accelerates too slow.. it doesnt dive fast enough... and it has a poor zoom climb.... I use trim and pitch too.. and I hardly ever go to 110%.... unless it is a war emergency ....

TX-Zen's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
    It's this thing on the P-51Dora
    Ahh yes, one of those antiquated manual systems, right? Let me guess, you have to pull a kob or something for supercharger settings too?

Awwwww, how cute!

danjama's Avatar Senior Member
    Bearcat has a good thread somewhere from a while back

robban75's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by Bearcat99:
    I know how to fly it... and it still IMO has serious flaws.... I fly it anyway.. it is what it is and it's the best P-51 out.... that can shoot anyway.... and it is in the only WWII sim that gets my time so I just deal..... but I still say it accelerates too slow.. it doesnt dive fast enough... and it has a poor zoom climb.... I use trim and pitch too.. and I hardly ever go to 110%.... unless it is a war emergency ....
    Hmm compared to the real life acceleration of the P-51, the ingame P-51 actually accelerates a little bit better than it should.

And from my dive and zoom tests, the P-51 is clearly superior to the other planes tested. I'm rather more suspicious about the 109's diving and zooming abilities. Not even the mighty D-9 can outdive a late war 109.

I agree with Bearcat's statement above. Love the P-51 but, the FM could be improved, more RL flight attributes .... to bad.

I fly her right to the limits, the best she will give me ... but push her beyond that and she will kick you right off ....

P.S. I am not asking for a Uber aircraft here.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... Last ►►