WTE_Ibis's Avatar Senior Member
    This one seems to be in some sort of trouble.

Really? I always wanted one of these:

Imagine driving up on your job's driveway with one of these parking on your boss' car

That was the best sim news I had last year, WWI sim with Il-2 engine, whohooo !!
    I'll take a Camel or Spad XIII please

Originally posted by WTE_Ibis:

AHH! I see the Aussies have already gotten to the Baron.....again!!!

Shhhh! Not in front of the Canucks

WTE_Ibis's Avatar Senior Member
    [quote]Originally posted by The_Gog:
    Originally posted by WTE_Ibis:

------------------------------------------------------- ************************************************

But we gave him a good send off and the wake at the local was grouse too.

The Mark IV tanks - did they still have 4 drivers or had they progressed to only 1 driver by then?

Seriously though, I read an account by the chap who flew the replica Camel in the 1970s - an exact replica except that the engine was newer, radial rather than rotary, and equally unreliable to the original. He said it flew like a barge. It may have been very manoueverable by 1916 terms, but the ailerons were hinged like barn doors. In those days, if you wanted the aircraft to turn quicker, you simply made the control surfaces bigger, but there was absolutely no technology in the hinge design of the ailerons, no counterbalance, lots of adverse yaw, I think he said. The 'lightning-quick turn' of the Biggles books is a fantasy, apparently... even taking into account the torque of the rotary engine.

Yes, I wonder how many people will enjoy flying the WWI birds when they discover it's like heaving a whale around the sky and everything seems to happen in slow motion

On the other hand, lots of opportunity for TS sledging ...

I can see it now :
    "I'm gonna get you !"
    "Oh yeah, how's that turn working out for you ? You let me know when you're finished with it."
    "Any minute now, I'm gonna be on your tail..."

Of course there'll still be plenty of opportunity for the inimitable "Where did HE come from ?!!"