I have great fun manning a turret, having no control of the plane, restrictive view etc...

Sometimes I enjoy it more than the actual flying.

I just love commiting myself to a disadvanteged slot and trusting to luck....the randomness of survival!

Er.

Is it just me?

WTE_Galway's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by boxduty:
    I have great fun manning a turret, having no control of the plane, restrictive view etc...

Sometimes I enjoy it more than the actual flying.

I just love commiting myself to a disadvanteged slot and trusting to luck....the randomness of survival!

Er.

Is it just me?
    I am often tempted to take the gunner position in my offline 110 dgen campaign because the AI is better at ground attack than me

I'd say it's just you. I only fly offline, but I'm a pure fighter pilot, I like my maneuverability and my control of the situation. I would never willingly commit myself to the role of a sitting duck.

danjama's Avatar Senior Member
    ask airmail

gunnery can be very fun actually

I often feel I have to man the turrets of some of the attack aircraft I fly. The new PE-2 being a perfect example. The AI gunners are terrible shots and couldn't hit a jumbo jet, let alone a fighter trying to maul you.

Just the other night I was flying the static Navy campaign for the PE-2 and were were jumped by four Finnish Buffaloes. My plane was getting chewed up so I jumped in as the gunner and promply shot down 3 out of the four in less than 15 seconds. Then I jumped back in as the pilot and got in a dogfight with the last one and shot him down!!

Let's face it, despite the fact that many people complain about the AI defensive gunners being too good, reality intrudes. They are anything but good. I can shoot a lot better than they can.

One of the last times I flew online, I got into a Pacific Coop and I a got in as a gunner for a human piloted SBD. I shot down two human piloted Zekes and one AI piloted one. Didn't get credit for the last AI one though, because we got hit by flak and bailed before he went down all the way. The guy I flew with remarked that had he only had an AI gunner, he would have probably been shot down by the human flown zekes.

I love hopping in the back of my SBD and holding a surprise party for some unsuspecting tailgater. Practice my gunnery all the time. I've gotten to be a fair hand at flying backwards (hint: trim is your friend).

The B-25 is a blast too because you can turn on the level stabalizer and not worry about flying the plane.

I found an old WWII gunnery manual at www.oldmanuals.com that has lots of good info.

For example, you don't lead planes like you would other moving targets. You want to always shoot between your target and your tail. Always. If your target is approaching high and from the rear you would aim below him. If approaching from below you'd aim above him. It even describes how far to lead planes that work for any position, range and speed don't matter.

I set up a training mission in QMB and tried out the tactics described. They work. I highly suggest checking it out.

Crash definately knows what he is talking about when it comes to gunnery!

He lit me up tonight, despite me being in a Ki-84, he managed to set me on fire and take me out. (To be fair, I shot out his controls )

I wouldn't be caught dead in the turret of a plane flown by someone else. It's a good way to get dead.

But turret fight in a A-20 or Stuka?

I once got 6 fighters with an A-20. Granted, 4 of them were forward gun kills, and it was an early war server, but still impressive.

not more enjoyable of course, I love this sim because it is a FLIGHTSIM.

However, one of the funniets coops I have flown via Hyperlobby was a mission where only two TB3's were available on the mountainmap, one blue and one red. We were eight players som each and one of us had to man every position in the TB3's-- and then it was crazy dogfighting... crazy fun!

Well, it depends on the results

As said earlier, the AI gunners in DF servers suck big time. They can only shoot noobs hanging onto the tail, but anyone smarter than that gets away unharmed.

So as a nasty surprise, sometimes I switch to rear gunner in my Il-2 and try coordinating the work of the pilot and the rear gunner (flying the plane facing backwards AND operating the rear gun).

Normally you can see when a human is at the gunner position. The bombers fly steady due to level stabilizer engaged, and the human gunner opens fire from far way, at random distances. But with Il-2, there is no level stabilizer, so I manouver the plane as if I was in the pilot position, wait until the enemy gets into the pilot's invisible zone in the back, and then surprize him with an accurate burst into his engine resulting in thick smoke.

Too bad you can do this fun for once only, per pilot. The next thing is that he takes Fw-190 sticking a gun out of every hole in the fuselage and then I'm doomed....