I'm not wanting to create a fuss. (I notice another Topic on this issue has been closed.)

Reason for Post:
    1. Advice of name change.
    2. Early warning headsup to other Squads

We've been been asked by our beloved RAAF to remove all of their copyrighted material from our website - and also to change our name.

I'll post here when our new name has been decided.

<span class="ev_code_yellow">~~~~~~~~
    EDIT - 29 Jan 2005
    ~~~~~~~~
    Thank you very much to all for your support and ideas !!

I've developed my own compromise I can live with.

We are no longer RAAF - we are now "Real Aussie Air Force".

All "offending, Copyright" material has been removed, but the domain name will stay the same.

There are also a couple of irons still in the fire (RAC_pips for one) that may change the situation.
    </span>

I'm not wanting to create a fuss. (I notice another Topic on this issue has been closed.)

Reason for Post:

We've been been asked by our beloved RAAF to remove all of their copyrighted material from our website - and also to change our name.

I'll post here when our new name has been decided.

<span class="ev_code_yellow">~~~~~~~~
    EDIT - 29 Jan 2005
    ~~~~~~~~
    Thank you very much to all for your support and ideas !!

I've developed my own compromise I can live with.

We are no longer RAAF - we are now "Real Aussie Air Force".

All "offending, Copyright" material has been removed, but the domain name will stay the same.

There are also a couple of irons still in the fire (RAC_pips for one) that may change the situation.
    </span>

ElAurens's Avatar Senior Member
    Why not put a V in front of it and drop the R?

Virtual Australian Air Force.

Not too bad.

Or how about simply "The Roos"?

Good luck gents.

S!

Never before have I heard of a military moaning about copyright.

I mean, someone using their name is almost a free recruitment campaign for them....

Sad to hear about it....

When we founded the 1st Brazilian virtual FS i sent a mail too the Bazilian Air Force asking about the use of markings, names and symbols. They told me if it were used with respect, there were no problem, as those markings belong to the brazilian people.

The UK's MoD recently lost a court case over the use of the RAF roundel on fashion items. The court ruled that the symbol was within public domain, or something, and so they are allowed to continue using it without copyright infringement, or summit.

There was a link to a BBC story on it somewhere, but I lost it.

exactly the reason we are the 310thVFS squad. Just add something like that to your squad name.

I agree, just put Virtual in front of your name. I'm not sure they can force you to remove medals and symbols because as stated above. Those are in the public doman. Anyway I wish you luck mate

Chuck_Older's Avatar Banned
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RAAF_Furball:

Reason for Post:

I'll post here when our new name has been decided. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am not an expert here...but did the RAAF's lawyers say that, or the RAAF?

I ask because I'm not sure you wish to pursue this, but it seems to me that unless there is a bit of Law that says a non-profit organisation cannot use the letters "RAAF" to identify itself, there's no issue. Is "RAAF" an abbreviation, or is it the name? Royal Australian Air Force is not what you're presenting yourself as. RAAF could mean "Regional American Automobile Foundation" or any number of things

I mention it only to suggest you explore your options, and the Law, in this case. Those four letters cannot be expected to be the sole property of the Royal Australian Airforce in every country, is my feeling. You're not competing with them, you're not taking recruits away from them, you're not taking contrcts away from them, and you're not making money from their name

Just check into it, is all I'm saying

In this case, I'd argue that RAAF stood for "Recreator's Australian Armed Forces" or somesuch, and that you aim to heighten awareness of Australia's commitment in the second world war, not tout yourselves as an actual air force

Buzzsaw-'s Avatar Senior Member
    Salute

This is not surprising at all.

What is happening, is that people are doing a search for the official RAAF site, and they are getting linked to yours.

This interferes with the government's ability to provide information and links.

You can't expect that you can take the full name of the RAAF and not get response from them.

I would suggest that you pick an individual Australian Squadron, and use that as your name. Or add a "Virtual" in front of your name.

Most of the time, you can get away with using names and graphics, but not if you interfere with a corporate entity making money, or if you mess up the government's ability to get its message out.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►