I've already asked this on another forum, but thought I should ask it here to cover more bases.

I've just installed 1946 but prefer the look of the older games -- Forgotten Battles or even the original IL-2 Sturmovik. Ok, I'll admit it, I'm a sucker for that Soviet Pop Art look...

I think I know how to change back to the old intro movie (though I'm not sure about how to get the old intro music to play), but what I would really like to do is to get away from that blue color that always lurks in the background.

If I were primarily interested in Pacific Fighters the blue shading wouldn't bother me that much (what would bother me is the icon colors, but that's another story). But I want my slavophilia undiluted -- I really loved the look of the original game (not to mention that armored column crossing the bridge at the beginning of the Great Patriotic War).

I've poked around on several different websites and haven't noticed any mods for either rolling back the look or coming up with a different one. I am also at a loss as to which files (apart from those in the intro folder) need to be changed to get a different splash screen or UI background.

I suspect that the instructions (and the visuals for this) are embedded in some other file that contains things that I really don't want to mess with.

Does anyone know if it is possible to change this kind of thing, and how to go about doing it without corrupting the entire program?

Many thanks.

Thanks for confirming my worst suspicion.

If Campaign splash screens can be changed, what is the file name and location of the splash, and could you mention a few (preferably historical) East Front campaigns that do this?

I think I saw a reference to a Seelowe Heights campaign on one of the sites (Airwarfare or this one) -- would that use a campaign splash?

While learning to fly I was trying to stick as close as possible to the plain vanilla product, but I'll bend the rules a bit to make some of those Pacific visuals go away. At least I figured out how run the AEP intro track with appropriate music.

[And in case anyone was wondering, if you do a new install of Shturmovik Stab into a separate folder it points itself at 1946, identifies most of its components, and seems to be working. Great improvement over having to muck around inside the configure.ini file.]