Thread: Religion in Assassin's Creed | Forums

phil.llllll's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by lilbacchant:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xanatos2007:
    Altair: Men must be free to do what they believe. It is not our right to punish one for thinking what they do, no matter how much we disagree.
    [....]
    Altair: You are wrong, and that is why you must be put to rest.
    That conversation right there illustrates the thinking-maturity used in the storytelling: i.e., the contradictions we all use to justify what we believe is right and wrong.

Altair addresses this very point in the Codex Pages in AC2 and, imo, is an example of what made Altair a much more interesting character than Ezio. Altair used his experiences to learn about not only the human psyche in general, but, most importantly, his own psyche.

Ezio, otoh, at least in the storytelling, barely reaches the "Killing, what is it good for?" question. Altair showed the ability to be reflective, whereas Ezio never seems to be more than a reactionary. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Completely agreed.. He had a level of depth that just wasn't really there in Ezio. Not saying he was a bad character though.

john63's Avatar Member
    I also agree that Altair was a lot more deep and thoughtful than Ezio, and had more internal conflict about whether or not he was doing the right thing. (Although that might have just come through more, since Altair's death-cutscenes were longer.)

I think that their backgrounds played a big part in making them that way. Ezio entered the brotherhood in his late teens and early twenties, and joined to get revenge, and only later realized the greater good that he was accomplishing, and the greater purpose he was called to.
    Altair was raised from birth as a warrior-monk, and I'm sure that he had extensive education on the morality of his actions. If you look at the origins of the Hashashin, he might have even been brainwashed by Al Mualim, and Altair's moral struggles may have been the unraveling of that brainwashing.
    Maybe in Brotherhood, since Ezio's older and wiser, he'll be more deep and thoughtful

UchihaKarasu's Avatar Senior Member
    I like that the game treats religion as a part of history, instead of other games who prefer to edit it out.
    Religion is a HUGE part of our past and has affected our culture today.
    Whether being a believer or not, it would be stupid too ignore such a crucial element, especially if your going for a historical game.

I also appreciate that the game treats religion (at least from the Assassins point of view) as a choice, a way a person chooses to live their life, not some sort of brainwashing cult (thought many people through out history have tried to make it so)

BLooDLineS666's Avatar Senior Member
    Well, in my opinion, religions must be added to a game the way AC series does...

Stormpen's Avatar Senior Member
    Actually, maybe religion was intended to be a subplot of the series, because, In AC, Altair's character, and Altair himself point out the importance of choice, and free will in everything you do, including religion. As opposed to the Templar's policy on working for 'the greater good', assuming the they're the only one's with the wisdom to judge the world. Which can be closely compared with religious fanaticism.

That's part of why I loved AC, it really gave me food for thought.

plug-inalex's Avatar Junior Member
    Well the thing is, AC actually cleverly avoids the issues of any contraversy by mainly not going into religion with much detail, merely using references and still maintaining that deep sense of faith and.. possibly emotion?

TheLeoCrow's Avatar Senior Member
    Suppose everything shown in the game was real and public knowledge. It wouldn't really matter, just as the discovery of dinosaurs didn't matter nor did the discovery that the earth is round. Sure there are still those who refuse to ackgnowledge those things but the fact is that if they tought us anything is that we should look for the hidden meanings in any religious text rather than just the words that are written. Unfortunatelly there's an endless supply of people who know the Bible by heart, they think that they are perfect christians and yet they don't understand what the book really says...

klaytonmh95's Avatar Junior Member
    I thank Ac1 has more Religion then Ac2 Templars arent in the 14th or 15th century.And Templars are very Religiest.

http://assassinscreed-brotherhoods.webs.com/

El_Sjietah's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by klaytonmh95:
    I thank Ac1 has more Religion then Ac2 Templars arent in the 14th or 15th century.And Templars are very Religiest.
    Not in AC though.

Medifro's Avatar Member
    There's actually very strong references to history the the Islamic sect of the Hashashim ( or Arabic Hashasheen, the sect itself is a branch of a group of sects called Ismailia, famous for being the origin of the Shia sect seen today mainly in Iran and Iraq ), even from the first glimpse which I thought was astounding. For example:

The first thing you see is Altair surrounded by females in the garden of Paradise in Masyaf. This is exactly what Hashashins historically do to new recruits. According to their sect,a new recruit whos usually a child or young adult is given a big dose of weed (which is Hashish in Arabic, thats why they got the name of Hashasheen ), he goes into euphoria, they put him in a nice garden with females surrounding him. He's told that that this is heaven, and in order to live there forever, he has to put his life for the sect and by killing the targets, he is guaranteed to go to this heaven. The extreme dedication to bring their targets down even if it leads to their death, and the methods to used to achieve it is what made the Hashashins reputation.

Other references include the feather Altair use to take the blood of his targets. To my knowledge, Hashashins were accused of using wizardry and sorcery, with feathers having to do with it as a symbol.

The castle in Masyaf bears resemblance to the Almut castle (Amlut = death ), the home of the Hashashims which had a very strong terrain advantage. Thats the reason Salah Aldin ( who they try to assassinate 3 times ) wasnt able to conquer it. Later it was destroyed by Holako during the mongol invasion.

So yeah, I think the game rocks :P

//Uplay Overlay login for community forums