View Poll Results: My PC is coming to the end of its gaming life, its a dell. I always just bought from them because t

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Will I be able to do it?

9 75.00%
  • Will I (like my PC) crash and burn?

3 25.00%
    con20or's Avatar Banned

bunkerratt's Avatar Senior Member
    building your own desktop is probably the most rewarding thing you can do ..it's not that hard ..you need to read ..and also what type of system do you want to build..IE intel amd ..ati nvidia and so on..as far as the dell don't get mad..but there junk..plain and simple alot of folks here build there own systems...i enjoy building systems....if you have time and can read and listen to advice..all should go well ...

con20or's Avatar Banned
    Dell are rubbish??!!?? How dare you say that! Il kill you! Il kill all of you! Especially those of you in the jury!

Where should i read? Are there any good guides online?

Celeon999's Avatar Senior Member
    Celeon never buyed a complete system in his whole gaming life.

Its always better (not always cheaper) to combinate your own system together.

Its alot of work and you often need nerves of steel but its makes fun

bunkerratt - your system looks like it has some serious industrial power!

Did you spray-paint your Antec case yellow, or can you buy them that colour?

And what is that device on top of the case? Something to do with the cooling?

@ con20or

Go for it. I had only ever installed a few PC components when I decided to build my own PC a few months ago. Even after 4 hours of careful reading and assembly I was convinced my PC wouldn't work when I switched it on. But it worked great, first time! All I had to do after that was install some drivers.

OK, I admit it, I still need to turn my CPU fan around to suck the right direction (but my CPU/MoBo temps are only 34°C/39°C

At first it can seem scary because you have all these complicated-looking components to put together, and you won't know whether you've done it right until you've finished! But then you realize that all the parts are designed to fit together, and it's not so difficult at all. The main challenge is to put them together in a sensible order and keep the cables tidy.

I would recommend getting yourself a decent little PC tool kit, like this one. As well as having good screwdrivers, there is a handy 'claw' tool and tweezers for picking up small screws if you drop them in an hard-to-reach place (like I did several times).

You will get plenty of good suggestions for components and assembly advice on this forum, you can be sure of that!

bunkerratt's Avatar Senior Member
    vg...the unit on top is the water cooler for the cpu/gpu the case is made by raid max it comes in black green silver or as we see yellow...and yes ..it's 600watt enermax psu....

Realjambo's Avatar Senior Member
    I have only ever purchased a pre built system once. That was years ago. Since then I've always built my own PC's to my own spec. Got to agree with Bunkerrat, building your own system is scary at first, BUT! after all the research, deciding what components to buy, ordering them, opening the boxes, building the system with your own hands and THEN my friend when you experience hearing your own system boot up for the first time, satring at the screen to see if you get to desktop...it's magic! a great sense of achievement!

There is always a wealth of people on here to help you if you have a problem. Do it! Feel the fear and do it anyway! as they say. PS: You'll also save a fortune. Best of luck.

PS: Don't go back to Dell. They build their PC's deliberatley to make it hard for people to add extra hard drive's, sound cards, PSU's etc. They cater for a perceived mass market but their product leaves little room for upgrading by the end user.

Yeah, you need to try to do this. It is cost effective in the long run. A self built system of carefully selected parts will last a might longer, and upgrades can be easily done without starting from scratch. I buy all my parts on line and from a few local gray market suppliers. If an old fart like me can do it -you can too. Start by getting a current book (there are a number of these) on "how to build your own." As has been said; be prepared to read and learn, but the job is not nearly as intimidating as one might think. Its a matter of scaling down complexity. You bust the task into logical parts... then divide and conquer.
    Lots of folks here will help.

It's a good time to build a PC, both Intel and AMD just announced massive price cuts.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►