I am considering to buy a Track-IR, but would like to know:
    1) Is it worth the money, because imo it would only be usable for games and I don't know if I keep interested in games in the future.
    2} Is the Vector Expansion and the special cap needed and/or advisable ?
    3} Is it difficult to use ? I mean: is it necessary and/or hard to have to move your head in a controlled way ?

I am considering to buy a Track-IR, but would like to know:
    1) Is it worth the money, because imo it would only be usable for games and I don't know if I keep interested in games in the future.
    2} Is the Vector Expansion and the special cap needed and/or advisable ?
    3} Is it difficult to use ? I mean: is it necessary and/or hard to have to move your head in a controlled way ?

1) Yes.

2) Yes and No. You don't need it in the strictest sense of the word, (read IL2:FB). You can use it without the vector expansion just fine. It's just that you will be able to pan your view and not move it forwards or backwards or from side to side. (Note, this is for other flight sims with Vector Expansion support. IL2 currently does not have this feature.)

3) It is difficult to use at first and requires a period of adjustment. If you don't ***** out and if you stick with it, it will be the most rewarding experience you can have as far as flight sims go. Trust me, you won't want to play IL2:FB without a TrackIR.

What LStarosta said.

If you drive racing sims it will be of tremendous advantge.
    If you play FPS games or any game with First Person View, it will free you from keeping a hand on the mouse.

There is a learning curve, I'm still in it, but it's really nice having the freedom to look around without using hat/snap/pan/mouse views.
    Get it, you'll like it.

1) Only you can decide if it's worth the money and if you'll stay interested in "games in the future." I love flight sims so it's worth every penny to me.
    2) Vector expansion is not needed for IL2 or FB or AEP or PF as it is unsupported. But for Maddox's next release BoB, it is planned to be supported. The special cap is optional as well.
    3) It takes about 3 or 4 sessions to get used to the motion, and about 2 weeks or so for it to become natural. It's not difficult but it takes some time to train yourself to move your head in a way that agrees with the system.

Hope that helps.

* _54th_Speeder *

Occasionally, I forget to start up trackir before I start up IL2.......that's when I realise how natural it's become, and how much I miss it when it isn't available

I only have TIR2 so no vectoring here, but what I have got is brilliant. No regrets from day one, adds so much to awareness and immersion in the game. Get one and give it a fair go (by which I mean experiment with the settings / profile to suit your own use). I started with TOAD's advice and went from there. If I lost it tomorrow I'd buy another one tomorrow...

PS slarsson, I was on your Island in September. Stayed near Tofino and then in Victoria. Very nice.

1) YES
    2) NO
    3) At first yes, somewhat, then no not at all

WTE_Galway's Avatar Senior Member
    setup properly with practice its unbeatable

Only you can answer the first question. I find it invaluable and couldn't enjoy IL2 any where near as much as I do.

#2s been answered well already.

Don't let yourself be intimidated. You only have to keep your head as still as you would reading a magazine in a moving vehicle....sans the annoying carsickness.

I WON'T fly a flight sim without Track IR support. It becomes THAT natural. I am in my cockpit flying, scouting, ready to pounce and be pounced.

When flying without it, I am IN a game. The action to view around my airplane is SO mechanical it removes ALL suspension of disbelief.

regards,
    Robert

Once you go Track...you never go back.