After playing origin, kinda disappointed with ac odyssey and wonder if it gets better

Here are my complains really and i wonder if i should continue if it gets any better.

0) The game started off on a bad start already.

I bought the AC oddyssey ultimate edition with everything in it basically. I spended 50 bucks or something on a sale ( which is basically a full blown game price really, so yea sale lol )
    After the cut scene stopped at the start of the game and i checked out what buttons i had to press and what the map was like i already lost 20 minutes of somehow a only 2 hour exp boost that was offered in a package that is normally sold for 120 euro's. Yea a single player game.

So i checked out the shop and get messages of 99,99 euro = best value pack ( wtf? ) and a experience + currency boost where i bought the ultimate edition for cost me 1500 points which they only sell a 19,99 pack as obviously they don't make you able to buy 1 point but need pre made packages.

I honestly was in a state i just wanted to refund it directly. What a absolute disgusting greed fest. I will never buy a AC creed game anymore with such insane prices after u already bought the best package where everything should be in.

So yea a really really bad start of the game when i started it.

1) Visually and performance:

My system is:
    9900k 5ghz
    1080 ti 2000mhz
    16gb 3200 ddr4
    evo 970 plus
    1080p resolution i game on.

So basically besides i have pretty much a top end system besides the GPU which is a step down from top atm, but the performance is a joke in the game.

I have to push settings down in order to create a stable 60 fps, i barely can get a stable 60 fps in athene i see it drop down to 57 at times on the CPU with cores being used close to a 100%. I gave up streaming it all together as it just feels janky as hell while running it.

In origin i would sit always at ~80 fps in city's and ~90-100 fps outside on ultra and that's with 1080p / 60 fps streaming software on the background. I pushed settings down and now its a roller coaster of performance from all the way to high 50's to all the way up to 120 fps at times.

They really need to filter it out.

Then the visual quality of the game.

It's a mess, textures are blurry even on ultra, water is terrible looking on how it reacts in comparison towards origin a complete step back ( besides the sea obviously ) the art is a mess also, origin had these sharp textures of really high detailed walls while in odyssey it's just a mess all around. Just feels like slapped together. They went for some kind of realistic visual looking solution with cartoon. Dunno why its a mess.
    Alexandria was absolutely beautiful, athena looks like a mess. Not even remotely how good the main city in origin looks. Really a shame.

I also really hoped for beautiful colorful environments as origin seemed to lack those but in my 30 hours of gameplay its all yellowish darkish main land area, maybe islands will mix this up a bit from what i saw it does but a bit to late for my taste.

2) Wild life

AC origin was breath taking on wild life, they looked really good and fitted the environment well in ACOdy it's a mess, deers are massive way to big in comparison towards the islands they walk on they all have some form of guided missle on your behind for walking after u, they always glog up forcefully area's that are swamped with them. They don't even look good, they are just always in the way and frankly they act really unnatural. I just wish at this point i could disable them.

The bears however look solid but that's about it. Really disappointed with this.

3) I choose the guy and now i am stuck this bad voice acting that just wants me to skip all the lines of text.

I thought oh its a spartan type of game so lets pick to guy just to figure out after 10 hours of playing the guy is absolutely terrible with voice acting, He honestly feels like a bad b actor that always stands there and pushes the lines with the same voice without any high or low voice at any moment. Always super HDHD no matter the time of day etc. It really breaks the atmosphere.

There is also no way for me to switch to the girl at this point which in my vision should be a option to just switch. After seeing pictures on the map its pretty clear everybody plays the girl and frankly its probably the better solution. Maybe she puts more emotion into her lines.

4) quests

Origin did this really well, every quest felt like something different. listening to the dialogue was great, the voice acting was great and npc's where great and u really had the feeling you progressed and had some emotional connection towards the main char for what he does and did even whle he had some flaws. It still was really relatable.

Now everybody looks the same ( not even kidding, i saw the girl in the first 10 hours i played probably for 5 hours of quests ) its just copy past the npc's which makes you really feel you never progress.

The dialogue is terrible also and the quest objectives just feel incredible repetitive. "oh kill this guy because reasons or this girl because reasons" with bad voice acting. i don't even sit out there dialogue anymore i just slam space until i get the accept kill quest. This times 100 makes the game extremely repetitive. And not a joy to push yourself forwards anymore after 30 hours of play time. AC origin was far better on this front also because locations where more interesting to visit probably. Everything looks the same in this game and every NPC with it.

5) How do you even progress in this game?

I moved from the first island towards the next area u had to go through quests, a huge world with endless content opens up for you, the first small area i visited i already was level 20 when i left ( i play on hard mode ). It almost felt like i should skip half of the content or something? because i can't see any island over level 47 on the map, and i already sit at 35 atm so that's only 12 levels away lol and i barely did any content atm.

However now the entire world is my next place to go which basically means i have no clue what to do anymore other then just plainly skip content because there is no point in completing those fetch quests anymore i guess. which i hate as i like to 100% my games

6) GTA star police system in this game.

Absolute hated it at the start, it made the game not enjoyable for me. I couldn't fight anything without getting swarmed by them on shot down fast. Everything feels like a stealth grind game. Sit in a bush, whisper kill, whisper kill, whisper kill next repeat. Because otherwise u get bounty on your bum, lose tons of money or get swarmed.

Now i am a bit later in the game it actually think its interesting. I would honestly advice to add it towards later into the game or make it less aggressive at the start. It's not enjoyable even remotely for new players. It really limits your ways of doing things.

7) Boat fights / water / small boats

Honestly not a fan, jumping on a ship to hit a bunch of people again over and over again for junky loot is fun for 10 boats then it gets just straight up boring, there is nothing towards it. I liked AC origin more that you assassinate people on a ship that you enter more. This brute force fighting just isn't interesting to me

It also makes it so that it reduces the visual quality of water massively. Specially the water waves around the small boats are a massive step backwards, the water ripples the same way and the water detail in general. Probably to make it possible for ships to sit on the water and render more water area's. Even the waves feel like a massive down grade from ac origin.

Small boats also feel completely useless now other then do a fast wreckship dive and shark kill quest. I honestly rather had the big boats gone, small boat

8) Loads of new systems that gets pushed out one after another in your face.

It just feels like u don't get smootly comfortable with extra things, they slam everything into your face at once which makes the first 10 hours really a big question mark entirely what the hell is going on. I wish they would push it out in a slower later pace forwards.

9) I like mythical stuff and story's so ac origin was great specially the dlc.

10) Current progress.

I am currently sitting at 30 hours of gameplay, i got my weapon to level 4 straight out of the gate when that island unlocked, as i killed already loads of those medusa heads.

Mystical beasts i encountered are just big swine and a deer and that's about it. The story so far is pretty lackbusting and npc's + voice acting has been not that great, the quests repetitve. The only thing that works is the combat for now, and the big villian his sister doesn't really come over as a big enemy even remotely no matter how hard she tries.

I really wish i could switch over to the girl, but sadly i have to start all those 30 hours of chores all over again.

Now my question is, is the game becoming more interesting? in the later game or is it going to be repeat of what i already had times 5?

Because honestly atm it feels really disappointing.

Hmmm, a lot of complaints here. A lot of pointless nitpicks too.

As someone who also bought the game on a recent summer sale (the Ultimate Edition, with all DLC), here's what I can tell you.

First off, I agree that the voice acting overall is very bland. There are standouts, but most minor NPCs are awful. I disagree on the main character, though. I played through the whole game as Alexios, and while his voice acting is worse than Bayek from Origins (who was pretty awesome), I didn't really have that much of a problem with him. I will also agree with you that the game has some visual bugs related to texture streaming that can occur from time to time and Ubisoft really needs to address them.

Now, as for the nitpicks, I'm just going to ignore most of them, but this one really rubs me the wrong way:
    i barely can get a stable 60 fps in athene i see it drop down to 57 at times
    Are you going to sit there with a straight face and tell us all here that you can tell the difference between 60fps and 57fps without looking at the in-game fps counter? And that 57fps is somehow awful performance that detracts you from playing the game? Hot. Damn. You must have excellent vision, because I sure as hell can't tell the difference. I can tell the difference between 30fps and 60 fps (and I played most of this game on 30, then my 7 year old hardware died and I was forced to put together a new rig, so now I get to play it at the framerates you have huge problems with, but I digress...) The point I was trying to make is that stupid rants about 57fps being somehow awful, aren't helping if you want people to take your post seriously.

Now that I got that out of my system, I'll try to answer your questions, as someone who has finished the game recently (DLC included).
    1) The main story - for me personally, the main story was a step down compared to AC Origins. I liked the idea, but the execution could have been better. There are good moments in there though, but as a whole, I enjoyed the main story of AC Origins a lot more.

2) Side quests - once you start sailing around and visiting all the different regions and islands you will run into a lot of side quests (side-content in general, but I'm focusing just on quests for now). There are quite a few really cool questlines out there that are like mini-stories of their own, restricted to that particular island/region you are visiting. Those do help making the game feel like an Odyssey.

3) Other side-content - pretty similar to AC Origins, but it seems the focus here is a bit too much on various camps. I feel like Origins may have had just a bit more variety in its free-roam activities.

4) Mythical beasts and creatures - I'm not going to spoil anything, but yes, if you decide to deal with these questlines, you will encounter things a lot more interesting than mythical boars and a deer. But even some of those less-visually-interesting beasts ended up being fairly decent boss fights.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

If you have played the game 30 hours already and think its reprentive, copy and paste I must disappoint you it doesn't get better. But I will get into your points and maybe I can motivate you to finish it

A lot of Ubisoft Games this time where should in pieces and with 50 different versions AC is no doubt in this case. But I think it was the same with Origins this has a lot of different Editions too. You got a very good deal with the ultimate Edition because it includes it all.

The Helix store was cirtized by many players but no worry you don't need it to finish the game. It is the same store concept as in origins with the difference that the have now XP Boosters in there.

I couldn't get in that because I play it on PS4 Pro but I heard from a lot of People that is one of the best looking games to date. But its very different to origins because it has more colors as Origins.

Odyssey wild life isn't as good as Origins because the Animals where created like enemies that just stand around in your way. Even the resource management is a big downgrade because every animal give you the same leather. While you can hunt specific animals in origins for the resources odyssey put them all just in one so it makes no difference what you hunt. About realistic wild life, if you se some mercenary with an bear that follows him around the world you will know that odyssey doesn't have realistic wild life.

That is a simple answers, Odyssey protagonist have no personality. Alexios and Kassandra are the same person with the same answers in dialogues, their character stays the same no difference if you choose and bad or an good dialogue and that's the problem with the VA the couldn't get into an character if it has zero personality. Thats the reason why Bayek VA is much better because this protagonist has an character. The only difference between Alexios and Kassandra is that you can choose one not more. Feel sry for you that you dont like your choice.

Odysseys Quest and Mission Design is reprentive and it dont get better. You have the same Missions the entire game all over and over an over again.... Go there Kill X, Find Y our follow Z all this repeated the entire time. It give Choices in this game but the dont make the bad mission design any better.

In defense Odyssey have some different Missions In it but I dont want to spoil you, but these missions only make 5% of the Game? While the rest is filled with the same reprentiv quests.

Odyssey was created to let you grind. Wonder why the progress not reward you and the auto scaling is so bad? It give a reason why this game have XP Boosters in it....

The System is not thoughtful because the older games as similar systems like that and gave you more opportunities to pay your bounty.

If you are later in the game the system became meaningless because you will have enough money to pay your bounty via the world map view.

Odyssey system is a copy form Origins. But I think it wasn't that better in origins it was unique because you do it just in a few missions but if you compare both to Black flag the ship system is a downgrade.

Origins in General looks better and have more details than odyssey.

I nearly forget that but must admit you with the big ocean areas small boats are really useless now.

8. I dont think that this is bad for me every AC have good tutorials and introductions for new systems it feels hard at the begging but it will go better with the time.

9. I will not spoil you but if you like these things you will get positively surprised later in the Game. When you like Curse of the Pharaos in Origins you should definitely play the Fate of Atlantis DLC.

30 hours is long I dont know at wich point you are in the game but I think it will get more interesting for you if you keep up playing.

Storywise it will get more interesting but gameplaywise... it will not get worse but not better to.

Mushashi7's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by JKAC2013 Go to original post
    If you have played the game 30 hours already and think its reprentive, copy and paste I must disappoint you it doesn't get better. But I will get into your points and maybe I can motivate you to finish it
    I'm not going to bash you, JKAC2013, but maybe tickle you a bit.

A complete play-through is around 100 hours more or less. But I think depending on how you play you can bring up good experiences or the opposite. So many factors influence how you see things. Also your own mood that particular day.

I had about ten play-troughs with Odyssey. And the way I experienced the game changed along the way. But I discovered I was actually the one that changed and not the game.
    The least interesting play-troughs was the ones I did just to reach a certain goal. It could be a set of armor, a certain level or chasing ability points. Having to do things to reach a certain point makes them uninteresting - they become means to something else.

The best experience was the one where I was serious about the main story and didn't bother much about abilities, armor or weapon power. I think the process won over trying to complete everything?

But yeah, the grinding is almost a steadfast element in every game. It has become rather boring because when you buy a video game you know EXACTLY how its going to be - just with a different gift wrapping.

Originally Posted by Mushashi7 Go to original post
    I'm not going to bash you, JKAC2013, but maybe tickle you a bit.

A complete play-through is around 100 hours more or less. But I think depending on how you play you can bring up good experiences or the opposite. So many factors influence how you see things. Also your own mood that particular day.

I had about ten play-troughs with Odyssey. And the way I experienced the game changed along the way. But I discovered I was actually the one that changed and not the game.
    The least interesting play-troughs was the ones I did just to reach a certain goal. It could be a set of armor, a certain level or chasing ability points. Having to do things to reach a certain point makes them uninteresting - they become means to something else.

The best experience was the one where I was serious about the main story and didn't bother much about abilities, armor or weapon power. I think the process won over trying to complete everything?

But yeah, the grinding is almost a steadfast element in every game. It has become rather boring because when you buy a video game you know EXACTLY how its going to be - just with a different gift wrapping.
    Don't worry I like to hear the opinion of other people

I admit you a big part of the experience is how you play the game and have to do with personal expectations. I am happy for you that you like the game and play it so many times trough different playgrounds, for myself I completed it to 100% but are not motivated to play it again not even in New Game+. Maybe after a long time I will play it again but from now it doesn't motivate me. Something that never happened to me at the other entries of the series.

Beside of my personal opinion I think in general Odyssey is a game that have Quantity over Quality. From that a lot of missions and locations feel the same. When you have explored one island you could theoretically say that you have seen the entire game. Of course it give some unique missions but the are so rare and go down under the hundred copy and pasted quests. I was like the OP when I played trough the main story I hopped for different missions and that the game will change at one point but that point never came.

But I think when the OP like the mythological stuff and Origins, he should keep up playing and maybe like Odyssey too but for its own reasons. Its very different but not a bad game.
     2 people found this helpful