Now that i have AEP i noticed very few servers have padlock on. Can someone help me figure out how to keep my plane in site without padlock. Very frustrating, when I cant find where there at, because i can only look in certain views.

once again, can someone help me out plz?

Now that i have AEP i noticed very few servers have padlock on. Can someone help me figure out how to keep my plane in site without padlock. Very frustrating, when I cant find where there at, because i can only look in certain views.

once again, can someone help me out plz?

Tully__'s Avatar Global Moderator
    If you're using snap views (view returns to the front when you let go the key), learn to use the Look Up & Look Down keys together with the other view keys to give you the 45 degree up & down views.

You may not have worked it out yet, but the F9 key swaps between snap and "pan" mode. Pan mode is not a true pan, but allows you to step your view to various angles without having to hold down the view keys.

If you want to try something more sophisticated there's a utility called NewView that allows you to get smooth panning. You can read about it / download it here

In a similar vein to NewView is JoyToKey

At the top of the no-padlock view options are Cam2Pan (see the NewView link above) and TrackIR. These are devices that translate small head movements into large changes in view direction. TrackIR is the elite and allows seamless control of your view using an infrared source and camera sitting on or near your monitor tracking a reflective dot attached to your cap/glasses/headset.

georgeo76's Avatar Senior Member
    Tully's right, your going to need to use some kind of pan view, but he left out some options. You can learn to use your mouse as a view device. Or you can buy a joystick w/ mouse emulation on a hat switch (like the X45).

SlickStick's Avatar Banned
    Or you can use Track IR and have the same padlock as the guys running the server with no in-game padlock.

I use mouse emmulation on a hat with my X45, other sticks can do this too with supporting software. Also, I enjoy using my left hand to move the mouse directly to view. Just practice it, you'll be up to speed soon.

Jumoschwanz's Avatar Banned
    I have a Microsoft joystick with the hat switch and four base buttons. I reprogram the hat switch so when I push it forward it "looks forward", or so nothing happens at all. This is necessary becuase i have one of the base buttons programmed as "look up. ONce this is done, using a combo of the hat switch and base button can give you any view to the side, 45 degrees up, or straight up. This, together with rolling the plane a bit to look down at the ground when you want to pretty much covers the whole picture.

I fly on padlock servers whenever I can because it is as good a utility as any for looking around. But in it's absence I have had to become proficient in the method above.

It takes practice, but on a cockpit-on/no-padlock dogfight server last night I had no problems shooting down a number of aircraft, and the only times I was shot down was when my craft was already riddled by fire from aaa or bomber gunners and I could not manuever it well.

I would like to see all beginners learn how to use the hatswitch and then padlock, the utilities the sim comes with, before moving on and trying third party software and hardware. This way you always have a foundation to return to when something changes in the future or breaks down. I and others have tried Track IR and have not liked it and wish we had our hundred bucks back. Lots swear by it. But I have the feeling that if they learned to use the hatswitch and/or padlock from the get go, it never would have been necessary.
    If you get used to some gimmick, you will probably never take the time to learn these basics. Human nature. S!

Jumoschwanz

I use my FFB2 to pan view, and my hat switch to control my plane.

The force feedback effects when trying to look under positive g's is really something to believed!

(I actually use newview and highly recommend it. But I'm too scared at present to turn off padlock)

I don't think all users of track IR just automatically jumped in and bought it as some kind of short cut to good situational awarness.

I myself spent a good two years with various other methods of tracking (although I never really used padlock as it just didn't seem sporting to me personally ) the addition of track ir was just a process of evolution for me and had more to do with imersion and feel than actualy making life easier for me.

It certainly didn't give me any more kills than I was getting before. I just felt it would be a cool feature to look were I wanted and not just at some pre defined point. I find no problem switching back to hat track or mouse and think your making a bit of a mountain outta a mole hill hear there are plenty of folk that don't have track ir that cope quite happily with hat switch in closed cockpit mode.

The real secret of situational awarness is COMMUNICATION the old addage of two pairs of eyes are better than one realy does hold true. Get your self a wing man / freinds and some voice comms software and you will find that gives you a much better advantage than any kinda hat switch tricks or gadgets.

Stiglr's Avatar Senior Member
    You simply MUST have a "lookup" modifier for your standard hat views. If you don't, I can understand your frustration at not having control over your viewing.

Provided you do have a lookup modifier (for this, I use my Cougar's trusty pinky switch, and would never consider buying any joystick that doesn't have a pinky switch on it.