ninja4hire10's Avatar Member

Future Settings: AC Over the Next Ten Years

Replied to a thread over on Reddit about a similar topic, so I'm just fishing for other people's educated guesses/ideas here on the Forums.

We all have our favored settings for AC.It seems Ubi's basing game settings mostly on fan request, as their annual survey features a question about ranking desired game settings. So far we've gotten Egypt, Greece, more than likely Scandinavia, and probably Japan after that. Those four settings round fan's Most Requested if memory serves me well enough and were included as choices on the survey. Two of the games obviously are already in the can with ancient Egypt and Greece; the other two, speculation.

Generally speaking, Rome's pretty popular 'round these parts. So is China.

But me, I want India at the height of British occupation: huge, lush jungles alive with wildlife. Patches of desert and dense forests. Ancient ruins and tombs to explore. Mythological monsters and Legendary beasts like Bengal tigers, sand boas and leopards. An elephant as a mount. And plenty of sociopolitical intrigue with major political figures just ripe for assassination. And at the center of it all, the Koh-I- Noor artifact. I know India was done as a Chronicles game, and was featured (along with protag Arbaaz Mir) in the Brahman graphic novel, but consider it my official "request."

Ten years is a long time. With the next AC dropping in 2020, no doubt the course is set for the franchise's direction at least for the two games coming after that one.

So, thoughts and educated guesses on where AC'll end up come 2030?

I think the next game could be set in Britain, I suppose that since we've had back to back games with the gods being a feature, that the next game has to have either roman or norse gods. At some point the gods have to dry up, & we return to a man or woman with skills who is part of a wider organisation. As for Britain, it could be any period over the 1st millennium from roman Britain even up to 1066. Britain was really tribal with no shortage of invaders & conquerors. I'd like to see the mercenary system carry over to at least another game, as well as having some of the older factions as allies.

I haven't played any of the Chronicles but I'd love a full game set in India. Japan has been mentioned a lot on here, so that must be at least considered.

There was a little bit of ww2 in Syndicate. But I'd prefer not to come that close to present day

Olympus2018's Avatar Senior Member
    China and India have been done before in AC Chronicles. London, England was also covered. There are so many countries that have not been featured yet. Especially in Europe, since this is a euro-centric game about Assassins, Templars and ancient GrecoRoman gods aka ISU people... this franchise should focus on Europe.

Yeah Scotland is in Europe, but hasn't so far featured. Move the focus away from gods & explore the Celtic tribes from across Europe, like the ones that kicked the romans backsides. If rome is featured, lets see them take a kicking.

Originally Posted by thegardener25 Go to original post
    Yeah Scotland is in Europe, but hasn't so far featured. Move the focus away from gods & explore the Celtic tribes from across Europe, like the ones that kicked the romans backsides. If rome is featured, lets see them take a kicking.
    Scotland and Ireland should be featured, definitely. However, ancient history was only written by Greeks and later Romans. So, Celtic history can only be seen from the eyes of the Greek historians who wrote about the Celts of Marseille, France, back in 600 BC, or the Celtic invasion of Greece back in 279 BC, etc. etc. etc. There are no historical accounts by Celtic historians, sadly....

@Olympus2018 You mentioned Europe so I threw Celtic in. Mainly because Glasgow Celtic FC won the Scottish Cup earlier today! BTW there's a merc, one of the merc's that regularly respawns under a different name, different hair, armour etc. She is a woman, but when she spawns with a shaved head, I swear she is the spitting image of former Scotland international captain & current Celtic captain!
    As I mentioned earlier, I suggested 1st millennium AD & just beyond, I've mentioned in other threads that I would like to see the Picts feature in an AC game. Most people have heard of Roman Britain, But the Romans didn't Conquer the North. They had victories in what is now Scotland, but it wasn't 1 sided. The romans never conquered Caledonia! It may be that they never sent enough manpower that far NorthWest of their empire. Or the romans just weren't up to the task, who knows, they didn't write that much about their failures. But that's only the romans, there were fierce battles, territories won & lost among all native tribes over centuries & countless raids & invasions from mainland Europe & there are historical records, some of it sketchy but I'd have no problem with a certain amount of artistic license used in filling out some blank or grey areas. Because take Phokis in Greece for example. The number of times I have turned it Spartan to Athenian & back in no way reflects history. It's just an area I quite like & so while I'm there I kill the leader, ransack the forts & have a battle & then do it again 2 or 3 days later, as I do in many other areas.

I think the next game could be set in Britain, I suppose that since we've had back to back games with the gods being a feature, that the next game has to have either roman or norse gods. At some point the gods have to dry up, & we return to a man or woman with skills who is part of a wider organisation. As for Britain, it could be any period over the 1st millennium from roman Britain even up to 1066. Britain was really tribal with no shortage of invaders & conquerors. I'd like to see the mercenary system carry over to at least another game, as well as having some of the older factions as allies.

I’d like for future games focus on areas other than Europe. There have been enough on that continent, especially around the Mediterranean. Let’s explore other parts of the world like Asia, Africa, pre-Columbus Americas, etc.

I think that we're in some sort of Formation Saga or Mystic Saga now... I guess... The only way to understand in which state AC now is to see what Ubisoft want to tell us with their games.

We're in Europe now. In 2020's, I think, the series will finally come to the eastern setting. It really looks like something very important for players, so Ubisoft will do a game in Japan, maybe in China and Mongolia. Who knows.

After this... Well, I don't see a future for the series. Southern American settings... Well, they may be interesting, but they're not worldwide known to be interesting to the target audience. The same with Africa. Assassin's Creed is mostly about what happens above equator. Not too many people who are the target audience of Assassin's Creed really care about what happens below the equator. It is true and there's nothing insulting in it, if someone thinks so.

Still, I think I'm too skeptic too. Even with above-equator countries, we have some sort of 2D-table of possible settings with countries as lines and ages as columns. Every country - every timeline. You see it. Returning to the old places is a very interesting experience.
    The most unused setting is modern times since WWII. Or even WWI. I would love to see Cold War setting with Germany and Berlin as the main map, but with missions in other countries and cities (like Far Cry: New Dawn or like Leonardo Machines in Brotherhood), because I love Call of Duty: Black Ops and I think it covers this theme perfectly.

The lore of AC is about Assassins and Templars.... Plus their ancestors. So, the main focus is de facto the West. The AC Chronicles briefly covered Asia (Russia, China and India, to be specific). The ISU is made up of Indo-European characters, as well. AC began as a eurocentric game and still is... Fans will be alienated if the AC saga goes to Mesoamerica or Japan or anywhere else, outside Europe.